Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What a difference.

I just got off Youtube. I was lucky to find a recording of the Hawthorne Caballeros from 1967. As a kid I always wanted to see them in person, this fulfilled that wish. Unfortunately I next watched a video of them from 2012. It has taken 45 years, but they have done it. Taken a great icon of drum corp and turned it into a bunch of jumping dancers and umbrellas.

I couldn't believe that the first part of the video, the speaker has to explain what the show is all about. At least in the past you knew what it was going to be, a great large corp, playing great music that you could recognize and marching that impressed you. Not dancing that looks foolish and music that only the arranger knows.

What a waste of a Great Icon!!!

What did you do in the Corps? Drum Major and Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 66-69, Imperials 69-72

Re: What a difference.

Steve, very sad but this is what drum corps has become. For those who were involved in the past era, this new trend is terrible.

But, the 'new generation' knows no better and loves the current style. They don't care about real marching and are quite happy with the dancing and prancing. Obscure music is OK too ..they are used to that with modern radio tunes. And, drummers of the 'old school', where precision rudimental drumming was used and drums had proper voicing and tuning, abhor the new drumming style.

I wish them well, but won't attend their shows, paying high prices for poor entertainment. And, sadly, drum corps are dying off rapidly. From the hundreds which existed in the 50s and 60s, there are (maybe) 30 left. Very sad.

Drum corps today just represents what is happening in the rest of the music world - think of the Beatles, Grateful Dead, Al Di Meola as park and blow artist. Then look at today's acts- so many add excessive motion to create excitement rather than letting the music do that.

Each generation has to "outdo" the previous one. Remember how we looked at tympanis? Scandalous for the older crowd.

They don't make 'em like they used to applies to so many things...

John makes a good point .. there is change in many art forms, often due to lazy artists. Why work hard on your music, or movies, or TV shows to get the audience attention or appreciation when you can go for the cheap impact ... colors, motion, violence, sex appeal, etc.

No plot for your movie? Add a chase scene, violence, sex
Your music isn't really great? Add a flashy dance, girls with short skirts, lots of color and lights (and VOLUME). ditto for TV. This works for drum corps too (not much sex and violence yet).

I agree with all your comments,it's a shame whats happened now with Drum Corps.Steve I've always been a big fan
of Hawthorne especially during the late 50's and early 60's,not now because of the way things are now.I've only watched
some of there performances,mostly there Alumni Corps.On You-Tube I typed in Hawthorne Cabballeros and you can get the
video I seen and a lot more of Hawthorne.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963I

I have a feeling that the Hawthorne Alumni Corps is more traditional than the current competition corps. In fact, I think it may be even larger.

There are quite a few alumni corps out in the East. Not sure how long they will remain though.

Sadly, as more of our generations die off, so will anything that resembles traditional marching or music.

What did you do in the Corps? Drum Major and Baritone

What years were you a Corps member? Cadets 66-69, Imperials 69-72

That's true Steve,it can happen,it's a little scary.

Steve and Rich: No.. it isn't "it MAY happen" or "it CAN happen" .. it IS happening. Actually, it HAS happened.

The drum corps experience that we knew is gone. Field programs are now totally different. Corps are run in a new way. No more community focus (for a of of reasons). Corps members aren't from a community .. they are from 'all over'.

The old drum corps that we knew is gone. Dead!

I agree Dave.I wish there was a way to change this,but I don't think there is.