Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2013 DCI Predictions

Well, I annually play this game of reviewing the DCI corps and scoring from July to early August, and then try to ‘predict’ the championship results. Of course, nobody can really do that, due to the uncertainties of corps performances, improvement rates and judging responses.

But, I have done this for a few years with good results. It is always fun to try it and then see the result. Try it yourself. Anyone can do it .. although it helps to watch the scores over time, estimate the corps ability to improve and also know how the judges react to that.

The results through July this year are interesting. I have predicted results for the Atlanta Regional. After that, I will post my ‘predictions’. Try it!

Re: 2013 DCI Predictions

It's going to be tough to call this year, with the top three so close, although Blue Devils seem to be pulling away a bit. I haven't seen any recaps, but from what I'm hearing, it's their drum line that is hurting them.

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Sadly, it seems that the BD are, in fact, moving ahead of the others (again). Their drum line is still good, but Santa Clara and Cadets are also good there.

The DCI website includes recaps for each show.

Well, here is my prediction. Taking into account that both Santa Clara and the Cavaliers are gaining fast ... while Cadets and Carolina seem stagnant. There is a tough fight for the 12th spot too!

DCI Finals prediction

1 - Blue Devils 97.90
2 - Carolina 97.50
3 - Santa Clara 97.10
4 - Cadets 96.80
5 - Phantom 94.00
6 - Blue Coats 92.50
7 - Boston 91.00
8 - Cavaliers 90.00
9 - Madison 89.50
10-Blue Knights 88.50
11-Spirit 87.10
12-Blue Stars 85.00
13-Troopers 84.50
14-Crossmen 84.00

Well, it should be interesting tonight! Crown jumped back over Devs last night at semis, by a pretty big margin (for finals, anyway). Phantom and Blue Coats are tied, but everything else seems pretty set. As much as I hate their uniforms, I really am pulling for Crown, just to have somebody beside Devs, Cadets, or Cavaliers win for once!

Yes, get someone NEW! But, the Crown uniforms look really stupid! Is their show the same .. replete with props and dumb electronics?

Yes Dave Carolina's uniforms are are bad in my opinion to.The ones they had last year were much better looking.As far as
their show goes,its not much different than anyone else.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru1963

Well, for the first time since 1996 there is a new DCI Champion! I'm happy about their win for that reason alone. I didn't see anyone's shows, so I can't comment until I do. But they won despite having a 5th place drum line, and they had a perfect score in brass.

The girlfriend of my daughter-in-law's brother (did you follow that?) marched in Boston; in fact, she was the featured "character" throughout their show. I talked with her yesterday at my grandson's birthday party, and when you boil it all down, it's still a similar experience to what we all had, though a bit more intense. And apparently Boston, along with the Cavaliers, Madison, and Garfield, still depends on alumni support and trains the kids in the history of the group. They wake them each morning by saying "Good morning, Boston" - even though there were only three members in the corps who are actually from the city of Boston! She knew that John F. Kennedy was a supporter and honorary member of the corps, and apparently that's what the grey jackets were referring to during the first half of their show - when JFK provided uniforms from West Point after a fire destroyed their existing ones in the late 50s/early 60s.

I love when she's at the birthday parties!

Great story Bob. Gosh, only THREE members of the corps are from Boston? WHY do they still call themselves the BOSTON Crusaders? They are the 'anywhere' Crusaders!

But, it is the same for all corps.... the 'Texas Cavaliers',
the USA Phantom Regiment, etc. Silly. The whole drum corps scene is now unexplainable.