Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Madison Scouts in Macy's Parade

Well the TV coverage was too short - such a shame.
Take a look at the You-Tube videos.
What a gas it had to be to play with such a large group!

What did you do in the Corps? Tenor-Snare-Instructor

What years were you a Corps member? 61-69

Re: Madison Scouts in Macy's Parade

I read somewhere that they marched around 420 total, including 250 horns and 90 drums, and apparently had at least one member from each year of the corps' existence (and they were founded in 1938, so that's some old guys!). I loved that they had the screamers up front.

Did any of our Norwood/Madison alums march (Snyder, Fetty)?

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, I would have loved to have participated in this activity, but the last time I seriously played was in the Orange Bowl at 1983 DCI finals. Jim Snyder plays a lot but he lives in China these days. What really hit me hard emotionally about not being there was watching that entire group singing You'll Never Walk Alone:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205404267208404&pnref=story

I didn't realize that there was someone from every year in the group; that's pretty awesome. I know there were several fathers & sons that marched. There were hundreds involved, which included 48 contras/tubas!

What did you do in the Corps? Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1974-1979, 1981

Jim,

Good to hear from you! What is Dr. Snyder doing in China?!

I wish they had been on TV for more than 30 seconds! And I did see the video of them singing; very cool!

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

How did they get INSTRUMENTS for all those members?

For at least the past several years Jim has been working for a company in China teaching mathematics to Australians (in English). Prior to that he was in Minnesota teaching and marching and/or instructing senior corps.

Dave, I've also wondered about all of the equipment. I don't know the answer, but perhaps a sponsor was involved.

On Thanksgiving day there were Facebook posts from my fellow Madison alums, some of which told us that the corps would be on at 11:56. There were immediate replies to that asking what time zone. We were told EST - duh!! So, I was ready and waiting at 10:56 CST. Little did we know that the parade is on tape delay and it got shown at 11:56 in every time zone. Kind of frustrating wondering if I somehow missed it, until more posts came clarifying the situation. Actually saw them on Facebook posts before seeing the parade here in Chicago.