General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
West Texas Tejano bass players

I was listening to some old school Tejano last night.and i was wondering how many Tejano bass players there are in the Permian Basin area. I know a few that live in Midland.Odessa, Pecos and Fort Stockton.
If you are a bass player you should go see a legend bass player that will be in Midland Sat. night at Mi Ranchito II. His name is Pete Garza. He is a monster bass player from San Anto. He has recorded with all the heavyweights of la onda. Check him out and let me know what you think.

Re: West Texas Tejano bass players

A Monster he is. I heard him play back in the day and I have always thought of Pete as an awesome Bass Player. I had the opportunity to hear him play in San Antonio with Roger, Gibby, and Richard Solis and they put on a great show.I'm sure they will put on another one for us West Texas people again. If you really enjoy Tejano music Bass player or not I suggest you here them play while they are in our area.

Thanks
Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply about Pete. You know Tony the first I saw Pete was in 1969 at Pan Am ballroom Odessa. I was playing with Sammy and the Sunlites. We opened up for Sunny Ozuna and the Sunliners. (a lot of sun in those days) He was playing his Fender Jazz bass. I said, man this dude is awesome playing all those bass runs. Later in the early 70's i got to meet him through Joe Romano in San Antonio. Also that night in 69 Rick Reyes was playing trumpet and congas with Sunny. lol

I met Pete when he was playing with The Breed I won't tell you the year because that will show old I really am LOL. Anyway I talked with him a few years later when the 5 string basses came out and asked him why he was still playing a 4 string. He said man con este ago un desmadre pa que quiero in 5 string. To this date he is still playing a 4. Ta bad el chavo.

Tony

Thanks Tony for that story. that was cool. That is all he needs a 4 stringer.
Hey Tony as I said in the first post, I was listening to some old Ruben Ramos tunes and I was hearing Pia play on that song Eres Tu. They recorded that song more than once. I don't know which album this particular version was on, but Pia tore it up. That man was the ultimate Tejano player (may he rest in peace). He has to be my favorite bass player in la onda. I have analyzed his bass playing before and he was way ahead of his time.

Ese Jody, the whole band was smooth!, This guys da Latin legends and Rodger Velasquez are pros, even minutes before the first song ,getting the sound moniotors adjusted they were pro. like a ball team ,no i in dat band. Also the Aces really got down on that Latin soul,la gente loved them, i know u used to play with them Jody,you are one of the best bass players en la onda, i used to play that bass also back in the days , member?

Que paso mi amigo nick.
I saw the Latin Legends with Jimmy Edward Sat. night at Mi Ranchito. You are right they are pros. Rodger was setting the monitor levels on the mixing console before they started and they kicked ass. I really enjoyed their show. Yes i used to play with the Rythym Aces back in 94-97. We had Lady Blue singing with us. We had lots of fun playing everywhere in the Permian Basin. Nick I remember you played bass and guitar right around when I was starting to play bass.
Nick I have known you since 1968. Good to hear from you.

I'm a big fan of Pete Garza too! I talk to his son Pete Jr on some occasions. Man, I think all the old musicians from Latin Breed were alittle disappointed when Gibby sold the Latin Breed name to Adalberto Gallegos, while he was sick, but it seems now they have moved on and are back together as the Latin Legends! Awesome!

Here's Pete Garza in front con el grupo People with David Marez as the lead vocalist! Notice Joe Posada and Richard Solis too! LOL

Photobucket

I did not make it to either function that the legions played but I heard they did an awesome job as always.

I did not know that Nic played bass and guitar...Why did you not continue to play?

Anyway you did say one thing that is really true. There may be alot of good Tejano bass players in Texas, but I've always said that West Texas very own Jody Orona is still tops and I'm sure that any other bass player that has heard him play will agree. Keep up the good work Jodi. Los Americas did a fantastic Job at the benifit for Cruz Salgado in Midland.

Tony

Thanks Tony, for the props. Music is my life and I love it!

I remember Destino band and they had a great bass player. What was his name? I hope you will play again soon.

Pete Garza told me Richard Solis is playing with Ram now.
Hey Ray Ray the band People with David Marez was an awesome band. They put out a album back in 76 that I wish I had. Maybe you have it. David was wearing a white tux on the album cover. I can't remember the title.

Hey Jody I know which album you are talking about. It was simply titled "People". Good stuff.

Yeah Mario that's it! That is a fantastic recording, it was very progressive. Great musicians. I have not heard it in a long time. Where can I get it? Does anybody know?

Yea, I have the People album from 1977 I think. It has songs como "Candilejas", "No Platiques", "Tres Palabras" y otras. Is that the one you are talking about?

Oh yea, I forgot Ram hired a whole new staff of musicians and I remember my buddy mentioned Richard Solis but I thought it was only temporary. Sepa.

Yes Ray that is the one. Do you have it on CD?
If you do, where can I get one?

I have it on MP3's. Email me and I'll email them to you.

Destino Band was together since 1983 and we had different vocalist Diana Gomez, then a duo Celina Vasquez and Martha Rey, after they moved on we hired Bert Arguello, Bert had to move to Houston then we hired Benny Ozuna they are all great singers. We were blessed enough to record 2 albums (los 33's vinyl mano) I got out about 6 or 7 years ago, but the band continued and I helped manage it. I then realized that my 2 sons Anthony and Adrian were following their dad's road and started their own band... Los Matadors.
We did not know they were going to take off as they did. My son Anthony ask me to manage the band so Ive been doing that for the last 3 1/2 years.
The main originals Tony Revilla Bass, David Romero Keys, and Juan Bustillos Drums still get together and perform at once or twice a year. We have been kicking the idea around to get all of the past vocalist together and forming a reunion gig sometime soon. Maybe sometime later this year.
As for my bass playing, I'm still doing it on Sundays at church but I'm not as swift as I use to be.You know how it is when you get away from it... It's very hard to get back in full force. We will be doing one of our performances at Our lady of Guadaluoe Family Fair on the last week end of June. I hope to see all of our local talent there again this year. We always have one hell of a party.

Anyway that's my story
Tejano till the end Carnal
Tony

Great story Tony. A Destino band reunion would be awesome. Hope you guys and gals do it.