General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KOZA 1230 AM Morning Show w/Stan (Opinion)

I'd like to get some opinions on 1230's morning talk show if it's cool with you guys. I never get a chance to listen because I work at the police department from 5am to 3pm, so basically I'm listening to real time problems on the radio scanner for 10 hours straight. :)

Anyway, I actually caught the show this morning during a quick break and I got to listen to 3 incoming calls Stan (and his two in-studio guests) received. All three callers were against Stan and his guest's views in reference to how Hispanics are “oppressed”. The callers, in my mind, were basically calling Stan and his guest’s whiners and accusing them of throwing the race card. I was surprised by their somewhat bluntness and one caller even hung up before Stan had a chance to respond.

I'd like to know how this radio talk show is benefiting our community and especially our Tejano music. These Hispanics (councilmen, city officials, chamber directors, etc.) that are claiming to be or are considered to be community leaders are also considered politicians in my book. I believe that politics should not be involved in our Culture called "Tejano". A “politician” is someone that complains and complains and complains and does nothing about it, but complains and blames others.

My community leaders are the parents that are raising and teaching their kids, the Churches that are praying for us and teaching us Faith, the police officers that are protecting our streets, the EMS/Firefighters/Doctors/Nurses that are saving lives, the school teachers that are teaching our children. These leaders do not let politics get in the way of everyday life.

Now, how is this radio show and these so called “community leaders” benefiting the community again? I’m lost here!

Re: KOZA 1230 AM Morning Show w/Stan (Opinion)

Hey Ray you're right, the community leaders are the parents and officers and ems/response team. But you have to admit, not all kids and children are raising up at home like we used to. Now you have kids involved in drugs and gangs and all other bad influences around here. We're gonna try to change that in a way. Isn't that what y'all wanted "Change". But we're doing it in a positive way, a way to help Odessa to come together not apart. As for callers that call in, that's what a talk show is all about. It's not gonna go slow and easy everyday. You just happened to listen to it at that moment. I know you're a busy man as is everyone else, so don't take the 15 minutes that you listened to to explain what the whole 3 hours is all about. People need to have an open mind when they hear something different. Believe me I felt the same way when it first popped up out of nowhere.lol! All we are trying to do here is to wake people up and have your voice heard on stuff that goes on behind closed doors. How do you think Tejano music came up, was it just over night, no it took hard work and dedication. But it all started with the home and relatives. This is no different. It has to start from the home all the way up to the Mayor's office. So you are right Leadership starts at the home.
These people that you hear on the radio are not politicians, they're are our neighbors and people who are not afraid to have their voices heard. Now we have a mic and station so you will be hearing alot of them more often. And ME!!!
But that's cool Carnal, you are entitled to your opinion. Tejanovibes Rocks!!

I have to admit that I was not into "talk shows", but I do LOVE Tejano music. I have been listening to 1230am ever since Tejanovibes started doing their shows. When "La Voz de la Manana" came on I would tend to want to switch the station, until one day, a topic caught my attention. As Hispanics we compose the majority in Odessa and we do not have the equal representation in committees or organizations. I realized that I was the problem by not getting involved. I don’t promote segregation or feel that I am against a certain race. For example: No one can represent “my children” if they don’t understand “my culture.” I encourage you to listen more often. I respect your opinion and thank you for letting me voice mine.

EASY THERE DJ FUENTES OR OFFICER FUENTES! WHICH IS IT. WHY ARE YOU SO AGAINST THE SHOW. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF. THE TRUTH!!!!!!!WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT YOU ARE A LEADER IN THIS COMMUNITY.

CRAZYTACO, I just asked for opinions. Jammin and Odessan made good points. I brought up this topic because I’m hearing mixed reviews from friends that listen to it. The 15-20 minutes that I heard didn’t really impress me at all that’s why I asked for your opinions or reviews I guess. Maybe your comments will get me to listen again. At this point, I wish it were a Tejano morning show with duel Tejano DJs. That would be awesome!

You know I have been waiting for the right time to say something or express something in a tactful and professional manner so here it goes.

When I first heard the talk show I was a little concerned about the state of the message and the uproar that these topics might cause. Trust me I am one for confrontation I believe very strongly in this motto that I live by as a matter of fact I would like it to be on my tombstone. " PEOPLE WILL DO WHAT YOU ALLOW THEM TO DO!!!!"

With that being said, sometimes I would catch the show on my way to work and usually turn it off, angre telling myself who in the heck does this guy think he is? Yelling over the microphone something about if you call after the show about topics discussed I'm not talking to you. I would be like man chill out, people dicuss issues and deal with topics differently, so give them a break.

You know one of my biggest problems or maybe I should say concerns is the whole Oppressed thing if you look up oppressed in the dictionary it states; To crush or burden by abuse of power or authority. I feel that the show is just fighting old battles or bringing up old wounds. If my Grandparents or Parents were OPPRESSED that to me is a mood point and a lost battle or war if you will. I can not change that or I should say WE can not change that.

Although oppression was usually fought with segregation, which is where I believe that the show is heading towards. For example why is their a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce? Why can't their just be a Chamber of Commerce and we can all be members regardless of race. Like Stan likes to say " Is that too SIMPLE!" I have been involved in my Community I am a past present of the Odessa Jr Chamber of Commerce, where I served my community to the best of my ability, regardless of race. I also served my country via MY BELOVED MARINE CORPS for 8 years of my life and fought for the right to be typing this letter today and I will have you know that I hate the term " Mexican-American" Yes I am hispanic and I love my culture, traditions and la raza, but the bottom line is I am an AMERICAN first and that is it. So I guess the correct phrase should be AMERICAN-MEXICAN.

I hope that everyone knows that I am not attacking anyone just staying that we do not have to cause a revolution or uproar for the impowerment of hispanic leaders, JUST DO IT and please , please do not play the race card or feel that you did not succeed becaues of background or race. That is what I believe the show will or is promoting and or embedding in our young childrens minds, which is WRONG!!!!

Thanks for your time as for as the show like my old Gunny SGT used to tell me " Good initiative bad judgement."

I don't like the show to me its a big joke! First of all Stan is not from West Texas so he really doesn't know what we need or want here in West Texas. You can't come from a big city and try to make huge changes the way he thinks he can. The man is not even Hispanic or Mexican! I feel like he has come to Odessa and is opening a can of worms that he will not know what to do with. A good leader doesn't create problem he tries to fix them not start them! We do have good leaders and anyone who wants to get involved can. I'm Hispanic and serve in many different boards. It's up to each individual what he or she wants to do with themselves. The Race Card is a very old card so put it to rest. If you want to make a difference put your service where your mouth is. The only way you will get the change you want is to work hard. It's easy to point fingers but when it comes down to it's hard to get people involved. Most of the time they don't have the time or energy! If Stan really wants to make a difference he would educate people on the things he is trying without using the Race Card. Dj Andy & Dj Ray said it best.

HEY CARNAL!!!! I AGREE WITH YOU THAT WE ARE AMERICANS. BELIEVE ME I SOMETIMES HAVE A HARD TIME WITH THE HISPANIC,MEXICAN-AMERICAN,TEJANO,CHICANO LABEL. BUT LETS FACE IT WE ARE OF MEXICAN DECENT.I TO SERVED MY COUNTRY IN THE U.S.ARMY AND PROUD OF THIS GREAT COUNTRY OF OURS. I BELIEVE YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT OF THE SHOW. I BELIEVE MR.GALARZA AND THE MORNING SHOW IS HERE FOR A REASON. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT. THE SHOW IS TRYING TO WAKE UP THE HISPANIC COMMUNITY. TO INFORM US OF THE ISSUES ODESSA HAS. HOW CAN YOU SAY THE SHOW IS DIVIDING OUR COMMUNITY? ITS ALREADY DIVIDED CARNAL! WE NEED TO BRING THE HISPANIC COMMUNTIY TOGETHER. I RECOMMEND YOU SPEAK TO MR.MARIO CONTRERAS ON THE STATS AND ISSUES WE HAVE HERE IN ODESSA. IT WOULD BLOW YOU MIND. I TO WAS SKEPTIC ABOUT THE SHOW WHEN IT FIRST AIRED. I HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO TALK RADIO FOR A LONG TIME. WE NEED THIS KIND SHOW HERE IN ODESSA. I ASK FOR ONE THING ANDY, LISTEN TO THE SHOW WITH AN OPEN MIND. YOU DONT HAVE TO AGREE WITH WHAT IS SAID ON THE SHOW. BELIEVE ME I DONT ALWAYS AGREE EITHER. CALL IN AND VOICE YOUR OPINION, BECAUSE BY PARTICIPATING MEANS YOU CARE. ANOTHER THING ANDY, THERES MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES IN THIS COMMUNITY THAN MUSIC. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

MAGGIE DID YOU GET THE SWINEFLUE OR WHAT?? WAKE UP GIRL. MAYBE IT TAKES SOMEONE THATS NOT FROM HERE TO WAKE UP ODESSA. SO WHAT IF HE IS NOT MEXICAN OR TEJANO. DOES THAT REALLY MATTER. QUIT DRINKING THE KOOL-AID MAGGIE.

Stan Galarza; The Moring Show

Tejano music to me is without doubt my most favorite preferred music. But how much should we care about where and how we live? That answer, I believe belongs to each individual person. I also listen to the talk show and don't agree with everything that is said. But I must admit that I agree and am glad that the show exists.

The definition of oppress, oppression, oppressed, or oppressing according to the Encarta dictionary is to dominate harsly, to subject a person or a people to a harsh or cruel form of domination (I believe that Hispanics are harsly treated); to inflict stress on, to be a source of worry(The things that I see going stress me and I worry about), stress or trouble to somebody(Things that are going on do trouble me). Other words that mean the same or are synomous are browbeaten subjugateed, broken, demoralize and expoloited. When you consider all these things and you look at what is being said about and done to Hispanics, Chicanos or Tejanos in Odessa by Non Hispanics and I qoute "Hispanics don't have their **** together" or "We dont have to worry about Hispanics because all they care about are partying and having a good time" or consider how hispanic children are treated by non Hispanic teachers who force our children to physically defend themselves because they are pushed into violence, drugs, or dropping out of school, I do not blame the non Hispanic people because you are right it not about race; it is about how Hispanics are treated and how this impacts the future of Hispanic children. The Youth detention Center is a testament to this, the majority of the youth who are locked up are Hispanic. The stories that I hear about some ECISD teachers from both students and teachers Hisapnic and non Hispanic who witness these actions towards our children are undeniable.

The fact that our children are suffering is true! The fact that their future is being impacted by our lack of involvement is undeniable! The fact that we as Hispanics do not vote or get involved in the system is part of the problem. For those who are involved, more power to you, however, is it enough to say that some do get involve while most dont when have so many issues that effect the future of our children. Or maybe its because we don't have children, cousins, nephews, nieces, or other relatives that can be impacted? The question still remains "How much should you, me or any Hispanic care about this? Should I be more concern as to who is right or wrong? Should we continue to do what we have been doing while many suffer because we fail to get involved? Or, maybe we should continue to blame the parents? But what if they just dont know what is going on and assume that everything is okay with the future of their children and trust those who do not understand our beloved culture or music?

To me the show is saying that we HIspanics, Chicanos, or what ever are part of the problem. We do not take responsibiltiy or accountability for our own actions or the future or our children. No one, not children nor adults like to be told or reminded when we are doing something wrong. But the facts remain, Hispanics are the poorest in Odessa. Hispanic youth make up the highest dropouts, the highest pegnancies, and the highest drug involvement in our schools. HIspanics are first to be laid off from work. Or maybe these issues, as well as others, should not matter as much as listening to our most loved Tejano music? Maybe what they also say about us and I qoute "Get some beer and music and they will show up" is true? Maybe we should not give **** so long as "I get what I want". Or maybe we should wait until its too late to do anything about it? The answers to these are up to each individual. I know that I do not have a right to judge others or oppress them with my beliefs. I for one can longer stand on side lines and say " All this is not true and besides it does not effect me".

The show has educated me about many issues that we need to face and hear about which I do not like nor necessaruily want to hear about. But I for one thank God that he has seen it necessary to give us a talk show where important topics about our community can be heard. I also thank God that I live in a country where not only do I have the right but a moral duty to give my opinion when I think it is necessary. But let us not forget that oppression can also be self-denial when we have been programmed to think a certain way when in fact it is not.

Stan keep doing what you are doing. And by the way, Puerto Ricans are also Hispanic and maybe even distant relatives.Let us all treat one another with respect

After reading your blog, I hope that I did not come across like I was judging anyone, by their beliefs. However I still do not see how you say that "Hispanics are harsly treated" (Where,When and Why do we not hear about it or why don't they do something about THEMSELVES). Again I stand firm with my quote " people will do what you allow them to do!"

I know the numbers at the polls and all those stats you mentioned in your e-mail, I worked at the Youth Center as a Detention Officer. You one thing I told all the kids one time before an assembly, I told them that if I could I would take anyone of them home to live with me and they could or would live a stress-free productive life. Now why is that, because I am an EX-Marine partly, but I would also show them respect, self discipline and most importantly LOVE.

As far as our children DJ Ray was correct the true leadership needs to be the Parents, Grand-Parents, Aunts, Uncles and Friends. If we believe that our children are being treated harsly, then instead of jumpimg in someones face maybe sit back and check our childs attitude, their attire first which usaully puts them into a stereotyped group, which we are all guilty of. How many times have we been at a stop light and a homeless or not so well dressed person walks by our vehicle and what is the first thing we do we lock our doors. Why??? We are stereotyping on appearance, which is what like most of us our teachers and adults that our children come in contact with are doing.

As far as stereotype of Hispanics in general about our beer drinking, dances, concerts Well, all theses things are good and needed, but in moderation, which is where the stereotyping comes in.(I believe)

However I still do not see the need for Hispanic revolution, which whether you see that or not is what the talk show is starting, because our culture and traditions our under fire. The first defense is we segregate ourselves which only proves all those steroetypes...right! You know like we always kid around when we are going to have a big celebration at our homes we always say " What if the neighbors call the cops" we usaully say well I will just invite them over too! So what is the difference there? We need to educate everyone about our culture, which is more than a couple of kids dancing around a Charro-Hat dressed in red, white and green.

Once again you value your opinion and I value mine, but their is a common denominator here the love, respect for our culture, which Tejano music just so happens to be a part of.

It was interesting to read all the blogs. DJ Fuentez, DJ Andy and El Trumpetista had excellent points. I would have to agree with the Dj’s that this isn’t about race anymore it’s about educating ourselves and our kids. I teach and we don’t treat our Hispanics students any different than we treat the other races. If you looked into the numbers there are more Hispanic teachers in ECISD so why would we treat our own race different. DJ Andy had a huge point regarding the kids concerning their attitudes, how they dress and act.

Let’s get real we as Hispanics/Mexicans do have advantages. There are so many scholarships for our kids because of our race. This is how I got my teaching degree my parents didn’t have to pay a penny. It was with my hard work and dedication most important all the scholarships that I received. Yes Stan keeps saying that we are the Majority but in reality we are still Minority. Whenever the state gives out scholarships they don’t give them out on a local level they give them out in a national level so we still are Minority. The numbers that they keep dishing out are scary!It’s good to let the community know and make us aware of the issues but do it in a positive way. Please stop using our race as a crutch use it as an advantage. I always tell my kids life will be what you make it. Once we elected a Black President the race card should be put to rest! The sky is the limit so go out and reach it.

If you really want to empower the Hispanics let’s not be so quick at putting each other down. We should give each other a helping hand. You might not like each other but support one another! I don’t agree with the show but I listen to it so that they can get the ratings. Its sadness me to hear that so many people use our race as a crutch.

Look into scholarships you will see that if your Hispanic/ Mexican or Black you will have more opportunities. It shouldn’t be about race it should be about what we do with our life’s so that we can be good example to our children. I don’t want my boys growing up thinking that because they are Hispanic people owe then anything. I want them to grow up knowing that the sky is the limit and they can become whatever they want through hard work and dedication.

Stan I could see where you could turn your talk show into a positive one. You do have good points and topics. You would earn so much more respect if you treated people with respect. People do have the right to express themselves and you shouldn’t be so cruel. The talk show is needed but it shouldn't always be about our race.

Thank you for your time.

Amanda, I agree with you! I’m a student at UTPB and I have used my race as an advantage and not a crutch. My friends and I have listen to the talk show but were discussed with it because all they talk about is how the Hispanics should do this and that! It shouldn’t be about race it should be about the Community. As young adults we want to make a difference in our community because we want to make it a better place not just because we are Hispanics. I agree the race card is OLD! I agree with you to that Stan could have a great show if he made the changes that have been recommended. Thank you DJ Andy,DJ Ray for standing up to what you believe. People like you guys give us young people hope!

To DJ Andy
As I read your blog posting, many questions were posed on your comments. As to whether Hispanics are harshly treated, from coast to coast immigration has become a such a polarizing issue to where both US Citizens and legal immigrants are being arrested and treated as illegals without due process of law. Here locally, I know how difficult it is for a Hispanic to get good paying jobs or professional types jobs, I think about how they are often overlooked for promotions. When the economy turns, I think about often they are the first to be let go. More important, I wonder how this affects our Hispanic children. While all along and regardless of our numbers, I see so many non-Hispanics obtaining high paying jobs when I know that educated Hispanics such as you could no doubt do the same job. An through the freedom of information act, I also know that if a Hispanic is lucky enough to obtain a job such as Executive Director of a nonprofit organization, he/she is often paid less than his non-Hispanic counterpart.
But do not take the word of a Hispanic like we normally do and blindly believe everything the non-Hispanic speaks or perceive to be real, do the research. Let me say it one more time the show is not racial in comment. It does however forces you think about Hispanic empowerment both economically and politically.
Your hope, in not coming across as judging others was not achieved. It was quite the contrary. You were being judgmental of the person not his comments. Not only were your comments as were DJRay’s (in accurate information about the callers), your comments insinuated various thoughts that I personally did not hear because I listened to the entire three hours and did not hear anyone use words like your words “Race Card”. It is obvious to me that you and DJ Ray have your opinion but when your opinion is based on 10 to 15 minutes out a three hour show that is not reflective of what happen, I call this misleading. By both your own and DJ Ray’s words, you only listened a short time but from that both of you jumped to conclusions. My opinion is that both of you and DJ Ray has misled the public with your comments. To prove my point, let review your use of the word “revolution” as it was no where nor was it implied in my blog but you used it to impose your thoughts into my message. On one hand you speak about not stereotyping and on the other you talk about our culture and I qoute “more than a couple of kids dancing around a Charro-Hat dressed in red, white and green”. Your comment is great example of the stereotyping that harm Hispanics. Another one of your comments “How many times have we been at a stop light and a homeless or not so well dressed person walks by our vehicle and what is the first thing we do we lock our doors. Why??? We are stereotyping on appearance, which is what like most of us our teachers and adults that our children come in contact with are doing”. I don’t make any assumptions such as yours. Research indicates that these street beggars make an average of 60 to 80 thousand a year.

Based on both your writing and DJ Ray’s, I believe that both of you a very good example of those who refuse to acknowledge that Hispanics have issues in Odessa, but this is not surprising.
To quote Little Joe “Hispanics in Odessa suffer from the illusion of inclusion”. Consider the number of Hispanic populace in the community and the question I am asking “Are we reflected at a parity level in any area of our community.
In Education we have 73 to 75% of the student body, do you see Hispanics in 75% percent of the available jobs at ECISD? Do we have 75% of the principal jobs?
In Banking, how many Hispanics loan officers do you see?
Do you see the banking industry making real investments in the Hispanic parts of our community?
In Oil & Gas, how many Hispanics do you see in the front offices?
How many of the available executive positions are filled by Hispanics versus non-Hispanics?
How many Hispanic service men have managed millions of dollars for the government but their experienced is often not acknowledge by those who are economically empowered to do so in Odessa. If Hispanics such as you are capable and willing to take a bullet for them and all us, I only ask that they treat you and other Hispanics servicemen with the upmost respect all the time. I am not a racial person nor am I prejudice against anyone, especially non-Hispanics. I simply care enough to learn and do research to ensure that when I comment that it can be back up by facts and not emotions. More important, I care enough assess the situation, change strategies and survive while extending a hand to those who may not fend for themselves which is our responsibility as a Christian.
I pray that you do not take my comments as disrespectful. I also however pray that look into the questions I pose when in this posting and see if Hispanics truly do or do not have issues and then share your thoughts with us. I for one have. In, closing I want to express my appreciation for your service. I for one love and respect all Marines and servicemen. God bless all of you.

Hi guys we have read all the blogs and listened to the shows. Our friends and us quickly pointed out that Stan or Mario has to be the author of El Trumpetista because everything that was written was exactly what they talked about or discussed on the show this morning and in the past shows. The blog has their names all over it! I’m sure other readers have picked up on that too.

During the show this morning we (the girls at the office 13 of us) noticed Stan and Mario were a little defensive and that’s good because it meant that the blogs made them think. We also noticed that Stan was a little more careful on how he talked to people. It’s great to see that he took the criticism that was given to him and is turning it into a positive thing. It’s showed us that his a good person and is trying to better his show. He also gave us a little history of why he is the way he is that helped us understand him a little better.

You guys do have some very good points. A lot of the things you guys say we don’t agree with. The one thing we do agree on is that the community needs to be made aware of the issues but in a positive way not because of race issues. We do understand that we as Hispanics do encounter issues and please don’t think we are blind to it or refuse to see it or accept it. Not just the Hispanic community but the entire community. In reading the blogs we decided we would try to count how many time you guys would use the term Hispanic we stopped counting at 20 and during your show we stopped at 30! The reason we did that was to make a point. You guys are always talking about Hispanic this Hispanic that, it shouldn’t be about just us Hispanics it should be about the community! Are we missing something is this talk show just for Hispanics that’s was what a couple of the girls asked.

Dj Andy & Dj Ray made some good points and El Trumpetista you where very quick at pointing fingers trying to make it sound like they are blind and refuse to see the issues. We as readers and listeners of the show don’t see it that way at least we didn’t . Speaking as a group we took their blogs as they were trying to make a point that it’s not always about race it’s about how we can better ourselves. Amanda and Kim had good issues that you guys didn’t address. As Hispanics we do have advantages and you should bring that out so that people can too learn from it. Don’t just be negative and tell people that as Hispanics we don’t get paid the same, we don’t get Executive positions and if we do we don’t get paid the same. We work in Human Resource and I don’t see how a company could get away with doing that. We do have leaders and Hispanics that hold high paying jobs.

We agree with Stan we need to get involved so that we can make a difference but let’s make it a difference because we want to make Odessa a better place not because we are Hispanic. In this group you have eight Hispanics, two blacks, and 3 white girls giving you our thoughts. We know you will write a book about why we are wrong but we still wanted to give you our thoughts and opinion.

Just us Girls

To Just Us, other than who I am, I agree totally with the comments in your blog.

Have a blessed and careful holiday.

Here I go again. How do I always find myself wanting to comment on blogs. I don't hide behind a screen name, because I am not afraid to face anyone and repeat anything I say. So I challenge anyone who responds to this to use their own name, unless you like to throw rocks and hide your hand.

I just heard that this blog was going on this website, which by the way is not associated with La Voz en la Manana. I have to say that some of the comments were disturbing.

I was one of the callers on that day in question. And my comments were not negative toward Stan. I called because I can't stand the word "Assimilate." And I called also because I have also read the book being discussed, "Pedgogy of the Oppressed" by Fiere. Perhaps a better word would be "Integrate". We can integrate in politics without giving up anything. The word assimilate can mean many things to different people. I can tell you that when non-hispanics use the word, their interpretation is far different from a hispanic that thinks its good good thing.

As far as opression. Well, for those you who are part of the Collective will agree that oppression is hidden in many forms. Intimidation, harrasment etc. are a few. NOW, if you are a Hispanic that has bought into the Anglo Collective or the Matrix as I like to call it, then you are oblivious to what is happening right before your eyes. We can't expect you to understand what we are talking about. You have been programmed/assimilated to the point of no return. There is possibly still a chance you can be liberated but it is a small chance.

I still find it humorous that people want to associated American as a Race. If your ancestory is Mexican and by that I mean Mestizo - YOU ARE A MEXICAN. However, I give in to what is popular, so I accept CENSUS's attempt of the seventies to generalize us, so Hispanic it is. When asked, I am a Mexican.

I too, served in the US Army, and fought in Desert Storm and believe I have earned my right to citizenship. So yes, I am a US citizen. But I am still a Mexican.

As far as Stan's show. I am very appreciative. It doesn't matter if he is a Mexican or not. He has given all of us the opportunity to finally unite and recognize our political strength. His show empowers us and for that I am grateful.

For anyone who thinks we or the show is using the race card, Please. The fact that that is even mentioned by a Hispanic, proves that this individual has lost touch with who they are and have completly assimilated to the Anglo Collective. Enjoy your cheap tokenism while it last, because to them you will never be their equal.

Best Regards,

Art

Art, it sadness me that you think the way you do. To think that I was one of the few who voted for you! I give you my name I don't want you to accuse me of hiding. I have printed the blogs and have shared the website with others who supported you during your race for Mayor. It's amazing how a simple question that Dj Ray made has raddled so many cages.

I'm white as you can tell by my name. I don't see it the way you do. To me we are equal and in my company everyone is respected and paid the same regardless their race. You are a very successful individual it surprises me to read your blog. Please give us a little credit.

May God bless each and everyone of you!
Cody

I don't see how any comment could sadden someone. I didn't see nothing offensive in what Art said. He's not looking at all Odessans' as Hispanics, he's looking at the problems Hispanics have in Odessa. As is Stan. I have yet to see any of these individuals mention anything racial towards the show or for that matter towards Odessa. They talk about "issues" that Odessans' face everyday. I've had discrimination in my past as a teen. So I can associate with the topics. Sure it is getting better, no question about that, but the damage is done.

Just to lighten everybody up, racism have no particular color. Everybody gets discriminated, whether you being White, Black, Yellow, or Brown. This program is not just about Hispanics, sure it's run by Hispanics, the host is Hispanic, and the majority of the calls are Hispanics. But ask yourselves. What other radio talk show do we have to tell us what's happening in our cities or towns? Sure there is another AM Morning Show, and of course on FM it's all music. We finally have something to be proud about and we can be heard. And just to get "Questioned" on what type of radio show is this. Nobody is forcing anybody else to listen. All we want is this, If you're gonna listen to it, listen to it for what it's there for, not for what you can find 'stupid' about the show.

Why is it that when anybody tries to do something good for the community. There's somebody else waiting around the corner to trip you. I don't get it!!

Cody, How did you wind up on a Tejano Music website? I appreciate your comments. But why should anyone be saddened by what I believe? I don't expect you to understand what me or any Hispanic feels unless they have experienced what we have. Can I not have my own thoughts? Can I not be myself? Or do I have be someone else at the cost of my family? Cody, we will never be the same. We come from different backgrounds and culture and ancestory. At most we can find common ground and work together. But I can never expect you to stand up for me when the going gets tough. You will always have doubt in your mind about me, as will I about you.

If you voted for me, thank you. Hopefully you voted for me because you thought I could make a difference in Odessa, not because you thought I think like you.

Please print the blog in triplicate and "share" to all your friends. You are quick to throw a rope over a tree, without trying to empathize with the Hispanic experience. But why would you?

If you truely believe we are equal, then you are but a few. We ARE not and HAVE not been since the Mexican American War. I don't know where you work, so I will not try to guess. If you believe everyone is equal in your workplace, then I think that is great. I have some friends that would love to work there.

I appreciate that you acknowledge me to be successful, but why does it surprise you that someone like me would write a blog about my thoughts and experience? I worked twice as hard to get what I have, and I did it without selling my soul or my family. I did it by being myself and not forgetting where I came from.

Cody, If my blog changed how you feel about me, then I guess I have to accept that. You are your own man and "think the way you" want. Who am I to expect you to think otherwise?

Credit? I am sorry I don't know what "us a little credit" you are asking for. Do you want credit for writing on a Tejano Music blog? Please.

Thank you for your blessing, and may God Bless each and everyone of you as well.

Art Leal

Thanks for the great feedback. It took a simple question to bring out people's opinions on the radio show. I could say that I recruited more listeners for Stan. Since I don't listen to the show on a regular bases I cannot give my full opinion on it.

I will say this...my main goal was to bring Tejano music back on the airwaves, which I did. That one phone call I made to Benjamin Velasquez is where it all started. I just hope that LA KOZA TEJANA does not fall off track. KEEP PLAYING THAT TEJANO MUSIC! SHOUT OUTS TO JJ JIMENEZ!! New DJ for La Koza Tejana 1230AM!