General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stan Galarza; The Moring Show

Tejano music to me is without doubt my most favorite preferred music. But how much should we care about where and how we live? That answer, I believe belongs to each individual person. I also listen to the talk show and don't agree with everything that is said. But I must admit that I agree and am glad that the show exists.

The definition of oppress, oppression, oppressed, or oppressing according to the Encarta dictionary is to dominate harsly, to subject a person or a people to a harsh or cruel form of domination (I believe that Hispanics are harsly treated); to inflict stress on, to be a source of worry(The things that I see going stress me and I worry about), stress or trouble to somebody(Things that are going on do trouble me). Other words that mean the same or are synomous are browbeaten subjugateed, broken, demoralize and expoloited. When you consider all these things and you look at what is being said about and done to Hispanics, Chicanos or Tejanos in Odessa by Non Hispanics and I qoute "Hispanics don't have their **** together" or "We dont have to worry about Hispanics because all they care about are partying and having a good time" or consider how hispanic children are treated by non Hispanic teachers who force our children to physically defend themselves because they are pushed into violence, drugs, or dropping out of school, I do not blame the non Hispanic people because you are right it not about race; it is about how Hispanics are treated and how this impacts the future of Hispanic children. The Youth detention Center is a testament to this, the majority of the youth who are locked up are Hispanic. The stories that I hear about some ECISD teachers from both students and teachers Hisapnic and non Hispanic who witness these actions towards our children are undeniable.

The fact that our children are suffering is true! The fact that their future is being impacted by our lack of involvement is undeniable! The fact that we as Hispanics do not vote or get involved in the system is part of the problem. For those who are involved, more power to you, however, is it enough to say that some do get involve while most dont when have so many issues that effect the future of our children. Or maybe its because we don't have children, cousins, nephews, nieces, or other relatives that can be impacted? The question still remains "How much should you, me or any Hispanic care about this? Should I be more concern as to who is right or wrong? Should we continue to do what we have been doing while many suffer because we fail to get involved? Or, maybe we should continue to blame the parents? But what if they just dont know what is going on and assume that everything is okay with the future of their children and trust those who do not understand our beloved culture or music?

To me the show is saying that we HIspanics, Chicanos, or what ever are part of the problem. We do not take responsibiltiy or accountability for our own actions or the future or our children. No one, not children nor adults like to be told or reminded when we are doing something wrong. But the facts remain, Hispanics are the poorest in Odessa. Hispanic youth make up the highest dropouts, the highest pegnancies, and the highest drug involvement in our schools. HIspanics are first to be laid off from work. Or maybe these issues, as well as others, should not matter as much as listening to our most loved Tejano music? Maybe what they also say about us and I qoute "Get some beer and music and they will show up" is true? Maybe we should not give **** so long as "I get what I want". Or maybe we should wait until its too late to do anything about it? The answers to these are up to each individual. I know that I do not have a right to judge others or oppress them with my beliefs. I for one can longer stand on side lines and say " All this is not true and besides it does not effect me".

The show has educated me about many issues that we need to face and hear about which I do not like nor necessaruily want to hear about. But I for one thank God that he has seen it necessary to give us a talk show where important topics about our community can be heard. I also thank God that I live in a country where not only do I have the right but a moral duty to give my opinion when I think it is necessary. But let us not forget that oppression can also be self-denial when we have been programmed to think a certain way when in fact it is not.

Stan keep doing what you are doing. And by the way, Puerto Ricans are also Hispanic and maybe even distant relatives.Let us all treat one another with respect

Re: Stan Galarza; The Moring Show

WOW... What is going on in Odessa? Done here in H-town we are a very conservative people. Every talk show on the radio is a conservative Host. The biggest issue here is illegal alians as the main topic. No one, and I mean no one talks about the Tejano people. We are embraced by our community leaders of all colors and beliefs.

Our schools share some of the problems you have in Odessa, but nothing to the extreme. There will always be problems in every community regardless of where you live.

As far as my people go, yes we love to cook out in the backyard and play our beloved Tejano music. As a matter of fact we don't even have a Tejano music station anymore. If it wasn't for HD radio or the internet we wouldn't even be able to listen.

I don't like being called a Hispanic. I am born and raised in the U.S.A. I am a Mexican American. A Chicano if you will. I am very proud of my culture, my music and my language.

All of my kids are grown and I taught them to respect their wifes, children and their parents. Is this so hard to do? They have not walked out on their kids and left them wonder "where is my dad?"

I taught my kids the value of having good credit and being successful at work so they can get promoted and make more money. We all deserve better, but we have to make it happen for ourselves. It all begins at home. If you don't try to break the cycle of poverty and hopelessness, we will never progess as a people.

I challenge all my fellow Tejanos to make a difference in their communities every day. Don't give up and keep striving to be better.