General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
And people wonder why Tejano is DEAD!

Jay Perez dissapointed his Abilene fans tonight. Per the radio DJs at KKHR 106.3 "Mr. Perez" would not perform for an audience of less than 200 patrons. And people wonder why Tejano is DEAD??????

Re: And people wonder why Tejano is DEAD!

I wouldn't totally blame it on Jay Perez. You need to look at both sides of the story before you blame one. It sounds like it was a business deal gone bad.

First of all, I would blame KKHR 106.3 FIRST for airing dirty laundry. Second of all, the fans don't know what kind of business deals these Tejano artists deal with behind closed doors. Jay Perez loves to perform for his fans, so do you really think he would travel all the way to Abilene and say..."nah...not enough people". I see a bad business deal with probably no contract in place. Maybe you should blame the promoter(s) for not securing a done deal.

Major artists, like Jay Perez, Chente, DLG, etc, do this for a living full time and they have families to feed just like us fans do. So, lets see this from their point of view too.

-RayRay

Yeah, I agree with Ray. That doesn't make sense. These are businessmen as well as artists... and correct me if I'm wrong, but money is still green in Abilene right?

-TAP

You know what guys, it's true. We are CHEAP. I've been to dances lately where we drew very small crowds for verg good acts. We still live in the past where we expect to pay only $5.00 to get in and $1.00 fo spray a lir a cold beer and the set up for free. Wake up people. I have paid as mush as $30.00 for a ticket and $5.00 for a beer to see major mexican groups in Houston. No one complained and we all enjoyed it.

TEJANO IS NOT DEAD. It is alive and well. When a group comes to town spray a litle WD-40 on that wallet and enjoy yourself brother.

The complaint is not about the ticket/spirit prices, believe me brutha my cash was flowing. The complaint is he would not come on stage and perform. If he did not want to perform he should have at the least gone on stage and explained his reason for not wanting to perform for the fans.

Carlos, that wasn't the issue. And Tejano Supporter, you're still not getting the point.

Blaming Jay Perez based on what the radio station said over the air is not fair on Jay. It's obvious that it was a bad business deal or some kind of disagreement. This had nothing to do with Jay Perez not wanting to perform for his fans. I believe the station should have been more professional about the situation.

I spoke with Jay Perez this morning and he wasn't aware of the comments made by the radio station in Abilene. Jay became very upset about the situation and wanted me to post this email he sent me. This email is directed towards the station and not the fans.

"Whats up bro, Hope all is well with you. Listen man....Tejano is not dead!!! These IDIOTS!!! (at the radio station) over in Abilene need to stop saying that sh*t man!!! We were not the reason why we didn’t perform. The fans don't even know what happened that night. And NO!!! Neither myself Or my manager EVER!!! said we wouldn’t play unless we had a certain amount of people. I mean come on bro.... WHO THE F**** SAY'S THAT?!?!?!?! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard I have never said that, and I will NEVER base my performance on some stupid sh*T like that. These so called dj's in Abilene think that by telling people that I wouldn't play because there just wasn't enough people.....Is gonna bring me down?!?!? ME??????? Man the only thing they did was make them self's look VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.. Let them keep bad mouthing bands the way they did me....All that it does is tell me and the rest of the bands out here, that this station will do anything for more exposure and certainly a little more for there ratings. God knows they need it!! How pethetic is that??? Can you imagine if it would have rained that night?? And we couldn't get on stage because, the stage was wet.... What now????? Are they gonna blame GOD because of the rain??? Are they gonna bad mouth GOD as well????Look..... I love my fans... I love my music...And I love publicity... But this kind of BS is not for me. What did the radio dj's say????? THAT'S WHY TEJANO IS DEAD???? NO!!!!! YOUR WACK STATION IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't blame it on me or my band!!! Or my fans."

Love you all, Jay

Way to go Jay...
See you in San Antonio soon.

Tony/Los Matadors

In speaking of the Abilene area, it seems to be that the OLD KJTZ Tejano 106.9 over there doesn't seem to exist anymore as they CHANGED their FORMAT from Tejano to Spanish Contemporary or Latino Mix meaning that they will go from playing PURO TEJANO TO NORTENO, DURANGENSE, BANDA AND WHATEVERS ON THEIR MIND! JUST LIKE KKHR 106.3fm which went from playing only Tejano music to mainly Regional Mexican music and a few tejano songs along the way! WHAT HAPPENED TO TEXAS NUMBER ONE VOTED TEJANO HIT STATION!?! It changed its format to a milder Regional Mexican station but only wait as soon their focus on Tejano will fade away! I recently visited Abilene and I was dissappointed at hearing "La Nueva KJTZ 106.9fm" Tejano Y Mas! And I been listening to that station for about 5 hours and MORE than half of the time, they played regional mexican music!

It's unfortunate to hear that. I always tune in as I make my way up to Dallas. If this is true, More reason to keep my iPhone tuned into TejanoVibes Radio. Just hope Lubbock doesn't change now.