General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AJ CASTILLO...Who is AJ Castillo? Check this out.

Louis Vuitton Evidence

Who is AJ Castillo? Want to know more about this fresh/young/talented Tejano musician? If so, check out this interview that AJ Castillo did on BNetRadio on 2/3/09 (click on this link): AJ Castillo's BNet Interview (once there, click on the MP3 pic in the middle of the page). Also here are some questions that were addressed to AJ on the Tejano Journal. I forwarded the questions to AJ and he took the time out to answer them.

~~~~~~~~~

Q1: Where is he From?
A1: Im from Austin, I've been playing my ax .. for 13,14 yrs now. I started playing in church, and playing a few songs here and there with my Dad & Uncles local band from Austin by the name of Rumores. I moved to SA and received my degree in Bus. MGT, while doing so I met Gilbert Velasquez and became apart of the Velasquez Musiq Camp. With that krew, I recorded on Joe Posada's last three albums, Jay Perez La Voz De 2008 and the single yet to be released from his New Live Cd, Leslie Lugo' project, Rudy Palacios, Ram Herrera, Javier Molina, La Diferenzia and Many more I cant even remember. I've been blessed.

Q2: Where are his band members from?
A2: THE BAND - I have an 8 piece band, Three Horns, Boards, Accordion, Bass, Drums, Guitar/Bajo Sexto. The Majority of the Band is from the Austin / Waco Area.

Q3: What is his repertoire?
A3: We play everything from Smooth Jazz w/ Accordion/ Tejano / Conjunto / Kumbias / Country / Funk / Jazz / pretty much everything as long as the crowd is feeling it.

Q4: Does he play in San Antonio?
A4: Yes, We play in SA, My last gig in SA was at the Fanfare and before that was at Grahams for their Anniversary Party. I also have some future dates we're working on with the TTMA's as far as Concerts now that KXTN is playing my musiq!

You can keep up with what's going on with me on
www.myspace.com/ajcastillo40
twitter- iamajcastillo
www.ajcastillo.com

also my musiq myspace page has a list of upcoming performances.

Q5: Is he a cumbia band or Tejano Band OR BOTH? LOL.
A5: Like I said We play everything! Im Tejano, We play Tejano and Conjunto Rancheras but if the crowd is feeling more of the kumbia side, We'll play more Kumbias and vise verse. Every City / Town is different.

Q6: Who is his manager?
A6: Mgr - Well I have a road mgr, (Joe Moreno) and My Dad (Arturo Castillo) books the band. We are staying busy. We have been playing together as a band since about Jan and I can't complain, Bus. is picking up.

Q7: Does he speak spanish, or just a front man, like me who can act like he can do it all? LOL.
A7: I speak some spanish, Im currently working on my spanish so hopefully i'll be fluent soon. (Not too many Tejano artist know spanish and not to many fans from my generation know spanish either) so I feel its important for me to learn the language.

Q8: Is he nominated for the upcoming Tejano Music Awards?
A8: I am not nominated but I am scheduled to perform at the TTMA's (From what I was told, Im the only new artist to be performing during the actual awards?)

IMO - Im not sure I agree with artist nominating themselves for the different categories. (I believe in Professionals from our onda like DJ's, PD's, Tejano Show Hosts, Promoters, established musicians) to submit nominations. I was looking at the ballot and idk, IMO

My CD wasn't released until the Beg of December so I didnt meet the deadline, But I wouldn't nominate myself

Q9: I have heard his highly promoted Cumbia, and I think he rocks, but what else does he have? Is he a ONE HIT WONDER?
A9: My single Todo Me Gusta De Ti is not the only song I have, It is the first single I released. For Ex: 95.1 "Para La Gente" in Austin Stared playing this song in Oct. of 08, then in Jan they started playing my 2nd single written by Joe Revelez "El Supermantenido", in April they started playing my third single Yo/Atotonilco, Hopefully soon they will begin to play the fourth single off my album feat. RAM HERRERA "Tu Vestio Blanco". Now that there aren't anymore major record labels in Tejano, Its hard for a new artist to come in to the industry and every Tejano Station/ Internet Station know when its time to start playing a new single and alot of times different stations play the song that they feel fits there listeners. I want to encourage you to pick up my debut cd, It's top quality recorded by Gilbert Velasquez, Not only does it have tejano, I have a smooth Jazz tune on there, Kumbias, a zydeco song, an original polka, a skit with myself and Gilbert talking about the Onda, So hopefully I've answered your question, Sorry for some of the grammar, Im kinda in a hurry.

AJ Castillo

~~~~~~~~~

So there you have it...now you know a little more about AJ Castillo.

If you haven't done so already get your copy of AJ Castillo's debut CD "Who I Am" at any of the sites/locations listed below:

AJ Castillo ~ Who I Am Available Now

CR Music & Entertainment

TEJANOCLASSICS.COM

Janie's Record Shop (in SA or online)

ICELATINO.COM

For the latest updates on AJ be sure to check out this blog:
What's New With AJ Castillo

Visit AJ Castillo on MySpace, ADD AJ as a friend and we'll be sure to keep you posted on the latest happenings and when AJ will be performing in your area.

AND

For Booking Information, call (512) 447-6353.

Thanks for your support!!