General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who Sets our Value As Entertainers

Some of the venues/clubs in Texas .....all the way from Amarillo to Brownsville and from Orange Texas To El Paso say people complain when they Charge $15.00 or $20.00 for a performance by the most popular artists in the biz..........

It seems like some-one in the Tejano Industry has set a standard for their value/worth...........Clubs certainly don't care about the bands or the artists expenses or the huge cost of traveling, motel, gas, etc. etc.

I have lived this lifestyle forever and stopped conforming about 5 years ago.
At that time I didn't know if I would even survive to live another day.......As I am now I could be around another couple of years .......................But at the expense of working/performing on a limited basis.......... I will do just that ............while exploring other opportunities that are certainly up to the standards of professional working conditions.........

Bands continue to work for a percentage of the door......and they take all the chances and all the losses..........If you go home with $50.00 in your pocket the club/venue will not care they will blame the act....

As per my main question.......I want to hear it from the fans themselves....

Why do you pay those $90.00 or $100.00 tickets to see a Luis Miguel, Alejandro Fernandez, etc. etc............are there any Tejano singers out there that compare in talent, voice control, charisma, etc etc. to these guys?

No-one has ever asked this question before and I think it is a fair question...........

What makes Tejano's best so unequal financially to the rest of the Latino Entertainers?

This is for the fans that support the genre..........let's hear it!

Re: Who Sets our Value As Entertainers

I was reading the sports page of my local newspaper and Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez will be breaking the all time games caught record for MLB here in Arlington here he began his carrer at age 19.

He said something in the interview that hit home with me as it pertains to the Tejano industry and young artists:

"Someone has to see our talent or potential and bless us with an opportunity. Then it's up to us to take advantage of it. Once we achieve our goals, it's our responsibility to help others achieve their dreams." - Ivan Rodriguez

true.

On Ham's question about paying what we pay to see our favorite artists. Veronica did and Interview with Freddy Martinez a couple of years ago and asked him that same question. I'm paraphrasing but he basically said its because we perform at the same venues a number of times throughout the year. He said it would take him a year to make "the rounds" when he was touring. This makes sense to me because its simple supply and demand. This is why fans in Oregon would pay $50 to see their favorite Tejano artists. If I knew I'd have one chance a year to see DLG... I'd pay that too.

I love Pepe Augilar... but if he performed here 6 times a year... he would not get the ticket prices he gets either.

More of a supply = less of a demand.

In the end it is us... the artist that set are own value. Many venues will let artists take 100% of the door. This is capitalism at its core. Everything is negotiable... everything is up in the air.

-TAP

Ham Tejano bands do not sell millions of records like Luis Miguel and the other Mexican artists. The only one that comes close is La Mafia. They put on a decent show with the sound system and lights and pyrotechnics. Take care Tony.

I very much agree with TAP. It's all about supply and demand.

And, me, as a Tejano event promoter, I use this motto, "IT'S NOT WHO U BRING, IT'S HOW U BRING IT."

If I'm gonna bring some Tortillas...I'm gonna make sure it comes with papas, chorizo, beans y todo el pedo!

I agree with TAP. I don't understand why Tejanos want the best of Music but they are not willing to pay for good music. The Fiestas are so crowed here but you should see the people after those free tickets. Looking at it on your side, we are pretty sorry not taking everything you said into consideration. I have no problem paying, I don't care who it is as long as they get me to dancing. I see exactly what you are talking about though. I have never paid to go see those big actors I'd rather be dancing!