General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Permian Basin Bands at the Mex-tex

The Mex-Tex Fiestas were good this year but Friday Night as I was sitting waiting for the Bands it really bothered me that there was so much wasted time. There was time for other bands. And maybe there was a reason not to have other bands but where were The Permian Basin Bands? I can think of at lease 7 bands in this area that I would have loved to listen to. Were they not asked to play? Were they asked but did not want to play? Or did they play during the day when nobody is there because of the heat? And maybe they did play but I did not hear them. Or do we not think our bands have anything to show? I do. Anyway, we have great musicians in this area and we just don't push for them. Que onda Raza, the big bands started in their own barrios but they had the people of the barrio pushing for them. I don't see that here. How will the bands here ever make it big if our own communities don't do for them like they do for out of town bands? We have old musicians and we have young ones. Let's give our older musicians a grito for not giving up and lets encourage the "mas chavalos" to keep it up because they are the future man. If we don't support them "ADIOS TEJANO MUSIC".

Re: Permian Basin Bands at the Mex-tex

good one Gabe. I asked a someone that was in charge of the Entertainment and was told it was full. I've been wanting to play in the Tex Mex for years and I guess part of it is my fault, but I am sure they have name and numbers of the bands that want to play in this event. I don't ask for much, but good promotion for the Band. I have a young group, I say young because we have been together for 5 years and I say young because when we started my band members were 15 yrs old through 18 yrs old. I think we have a good line up of music to entertain the crowd, we can play 3 or 4 song in a row, talk alittle and be back on with the music with 3 or 4 songs once again. I think we have a good band, i just need PR and where else to get it, Mex-Tex fiesta. I am not trashing anyone, but just agreeing with Gabe about helping us out. don't get me worng and don't think it's about the money either. we could use the funds to cover expenses for recording and merchandise. we too need to promote ourself and what we are asking is nothing to what is being paid to big bands.
I think I said enough and I am sure I can go on and on. I hope everyone understands what I am trying to point out, As an opinion.

thanks for your time.

Your right about there not being any local talent in this years Mex-Tex! I wonder why they did't put Los Matadors and Grupo Sello on Friday's Line-Up!?! I would love to hear those two groups out on the stage! Saturday's Line-Up was the BIG one within the two days BUT unfortunately due to BAD weather, the concert started at 9pm and REALLY LIMITED artist and groups time! But it was way better than them cancelling the event all together. Shelly Lares and Los Texmaniacs did a great job of performing! And David Marez and Joe Posada were each limited at least half an our to perform due to time but Joe Posada sang song, after song, after song and brought quiet the crowd!!! Although mother nature dissappointed many fans with the WIND and very little rain, it didn't keep people from showing up on Saturday night!!!

On behalf of LOS MATADORS I would like to say that we had a great time at the Mex-Tex this year. Unfortunately we were not able to play this year but hopefully next year we will be able to perform. We thought the line up was great as well. My personal favorate was David Marez!! I know that they did not have any local bands this year but hopefully we can get our local bands invovled in the Mex-Tex next year. I know a lot of people looked forward to seeing us perform so hopefully we can make this a possibility next year for our fans. Thanks to all the supporters and we look forward to seeing everyone again next year!!

Tania Castaneda/Los Matadors
"Keeping Tejano Alive!"

There were many changes to Mex-Tex this year and some were out of our control. The reason we did not have local talent this year was because the Midland Sockers (soccer) were playing and they did not want any noise during their game. When we first signed the contract to have the event at the complex there were no other events going on, and a few months before the event the soccer game was booked (yes they doubled booked), and the powers that be (City Hall & Monty Hoppel) made us change our line up.

Re: Permian Basin Bands at the Mex-Tex

YO,

You stated that you have been trying to get into Mex-Tex for the past 5 years, if that is the case then you have been talking to me. I also must have told you that we begin looking for bands in October and book in January and that you need to get back with me during those times. If you do not get back with me, I will not remember to call you. Mex-Tex was over just 4 days ago and I already have 10 bands that have contacted me for 2010. We work on this event year round and there is no way I am going to remember who called and requested to perform (my brain is not that young anymore) , so it is up to you to contact us.

Guys thank you so much for supporing all local bands. The Tex Mex is a business like all other businesses. The decisions which are made sometimes are beyond their control. There will be other opportunities to perform just be patient.
I know local bands would like to perform in front of large crowds during prime time but sometimes you have to take what's offered.
YO if you would like to perform please give me a call and send me a demo of your music. I may have a prime slot availiable at Our Lady of Guadalupe Family Fair next weekend 432-553-8948. By the way what is the name of your Tejano Band?

Tony

I agree with Gabe we need to support our local groups. I can see what YO is trying to say because I think the only way the local groups can move on is with local publicity. As a wife and mother of local musicians I would like to see them perform at night at the Mex-tex Fiestas and not have to seat in the heat when they do play but then I understand that might be the only time available and if they are willing to play at that time I will be there to support them. And as for Rachel you do a great job. I used to hear lots of complaints when others were in charge and I really haven't heard any the past couple of years. What I do hear is because I am a relative of local musicians and I do get asked "why did the guys not play?" That makes me feel good because I know there are people that are wanting to see the local groups perform. And yes I agree TEJANO VIBES DO support our Local musicians and that is why we support them too. Thanks Tejano Vibes,the other DJ's and to the people that are there for us as well. And for your comment about Tony he always comes through. He is always there for other groups and for any organization. All we ask from everyone is continue to promote our local groups, we should be proud of them. And now for a little promotian at no charge, as a wife I will be at "The Ranchito" on Saturday June 20th supporting "Los Hermanos Barela" for a Fathers Days Dance and as a mother I will also go to "Sedona Grill" to support "Los Matadors".

Local bands are widely supported here in the Permian Basin, especially in Midland. They are being stretched out so thin right now because there is a big demand for Tejano. Just because the chamber didn't hire any local talent doesn't mean they don't support. The chamber's last event, which was the New Year's Eve dance...Midland's Grupo Sello performed.

You also need to consider that the locals bands have been performing at the same venues over and over and the public gets to see them for free. So, if you haven't seen any of these great local talents then you are not supporting! So, please don't blame the chamber. I would thank them for keeping the Mex-Tex Family Fiesta 100 percent TEJANO and evening making Fridays Tejano too!

Maybe next time the chamber should plan a kick-off party or fan fair and use local bands to launch the Mex-Tex. That would be awesome. Something to think about.

As a matter of fact, Midland, TX has a bigger Tejano night life than Lubbock, TX. And Lubbock has Tejano on FM and we don't.