General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joe Jama (Tejano legend formerly of the Royal Jesters)

7/7/2009

Spoke to Joe Jama this afternoon. He is in the hospital waiting to get an angiogram and stent put in to improve his circulation Wednesday 7/8/2009. Should be home by that evening or the next day and all is expected to go well. Due to this health concern, he had to postpone his previously scheduled second lens-implant operation (many of you may have heard he was having trouble with his eyesight last year), plus they have to proceed carefully due to his diabetes.

He was in very good spirits, optimistic, & cracking jokes when I spoke to him and asked to pass on his appreciation to his friends & fans in West Texas for their continued support and prayers. Joe recently turned 60 and was honored at SA's Bar-on-Broadway by many San Antonio-area musicians, including Ruben Ramos, Ernie Garibay & trumpet-master Al Gomez. He's still feeling very charged about that, despite being stuck in a hospital room watching the Michael Jackson Memorial coverage. (Quote: "This ain't no 5-star hotel, man!")

I will be in San Antonio this weekend and will be checking in on him. I will pass along additional info to RayRay. Please keep him in your thoughts.

Peace, Ese

Steve Alvarez
Odessa, TX

UPDATE: Joe Jama (Tejano legend formerly of the Royal Jesters)

Joe Jama update: Great news! Angiogram procedure was postponed and done on 7/9/09. Everything went better than expected. Circulation is just fine, they didn't even have to put in the stent. They are keeping him in the hospital overnight and is expected to be home by Friday 7/10/09.

Re: UPDATE: Joe Jama (Tejano legend formerly of the Royal Jesters)

Thank you for the update, Steve! He's in our prayers! He's our CHICANO BROTHA!