General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Takin Over

Hey guys..the message says takin over Club La Playa Dos? IS this the same as Club La Playa????

Re: Takin Over

No, La Playa Dos is where Club Antro and Lucky Lizards were. They've combined the two small clubs into one and changed the name to "La Playa Dos"

Maybe it will be big enough to bring live Tejano bands too! Aver.

Ok..thank you...that makes more sense...hopefully it will be big enough to bring Tejano bands....thanks for letting us know...

If you've been listening to 1230am you would hear that they are bringing Michael Salgado and Jimmy G. and also more Tejano bands are soon to come. Just tune into Nic and Robert Hernandez for more details. Keeping Tejano alive in the Midland/Odessa area. La KOZA Tejana!!!!!1230am. Say Hi to all the peeps in Lubbock and show them the good talent we have in the Permian Basin.

I don't get to hear 1230 am that much other than when I am in the car during lunch and right after work...but have they said a date for the Michael Salgado and Jimmy G dance?

Yes they have. August 7th, Michael for sure will be there and their still waiting for Jimmy's call. As you know they had to postpone the event for the other events that came to town that weekend so we'll see if Jimmy G has that date open. Thanx for asking though. Take care!!!

Doing a great job bring tejano back we have enjoyed the music. What ever happen to our tejano groups right here in the permain basin? I remember when we had good talented bands. It would be nice to get a hold of some and interview them and fine out what they are up too! Like Distino Band, Los Barelas, And my favorite Twin City Band. Man! That was one damm good band. I remember when we got to go on tour with them.They open up for Emilio, When they were done Twin City Band got a standing ovation. That Emilio said ( I guess we have to be from west Texas to get this much attention . We always thought they would make it big. It would be nice if these bands did a come back.

Joe Davila from Joe Davila Y Los Jetliners is coming back into town and is planning to get his band back together. I spoke to him this past Sunday and said he is planning to hit it hard again if he does get his band back together. Maybe we'll start hearing from them again.

Would you beleive Destino Band has been thinking about getting a reunion going. As all things happen musicians get old,move or pass away. Once we get it rolling we will prabably need a little help from musicians that are still around. Thanks for thinking of us old weekend warriors.
We will keenp you posted.
Thanks
Tony

Hey Angie,
The group that went on tour with Emillio was not Twin City band. It was Grupo Tejas from Odessa Texas. Marcello was the singer. The keyboard player was Ramon Lujan if I am not mistaken. He did all thier arrangments.Lujan also played and did some of the arrangments with Twin City Band. I remember Tony Barrentes and the late Willie Mendoza had thier little show. They would come out dressed like the Blues Brothers or Marachis.Man they sure put on some shows. You're right we need to get all these groups and have a reunion. Let them know they are still remembered.

I played guitar for Tejas when Marcelo was the singer and also Albert Garcia. It was one hell of a band as good as any at the time. I still play guitar with Albert Garcia and Puro Tejano Showband. Since our days with Tejas we have been able o back up and share the stage with Sunny Ozuna, Augustin Ramirez, Little Joe, Ruben Ramos, Ram Herrera and many others. The band currently features Albert G. on vocals, Rico Enriquez on guitar, Frank Flores on bass, Jeremy Ramos on drums, Mike Mendoza on keys, and Jonathan De Leon on Sax. You will not find a better sound in West Texas than the group we currently have together. Frank and I used to play for Destino for a few years. We had Ben Ozuna on vocals at the time and that was an amazing band as well. We have been blessed to have this music and culture in our lves and I say culture because it much more than just a style of music. Rico Enriquez