General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
For all you tejano lovers!!

Let's just face the facts! Tejano will never be big in west texas again. This summer was a disappointment, and not many "big" names to go see. Just face the fact that you'll have to drive many miles to see your favorite band play. I know alot will disagree because you will say local bands have been performing, and some of the old timers have come as well, but I'm talking about the big groups of the 80"s and 90's that are still around, but haven't been brought to west texas in a while (Jay Perez, La Diferencia, La Sombra, La Fiebre, Eddie Gonzales, Los Desperados, (Fama and David Lee,((I know they were here this summer, but how long before they are back???)) and many more!!!!" I guess we're limited to the Mex Tex and a couple other festivities per year... Sad, very sad!!

Is west texas not deserving like the rest of the state?! Do we have to travel and spend lots of money just to go see our favorite groups in other parts of the state?!

Re: For all you tejano lovers!!

Ok Tejano Starved where do I start? Tejano is coming back in a big way. First off, Odessa/Midland is the fastest growing Tejano scene in the state. We have of course Tejanovibes from here and La KOZA Tejana 1230am to support that. Now it's up to the listeners to support and attend the dances and events that have to do with the music. We just can't sit back and let people put on these events and not show up to them. Let's let everyone know that we have our music back here in West Texas and make all of the artists proud of what we're trying to do for them.
Thank you anyway for asking and most of all for supporting this website and others that have to do with the Tejano industry.

Ben, you are right about the music, but if you dont live in Midland or Odessa, 1230 am's range is not very good unless you are in Midland and Odessa. So so much for that, the surroundig communities can't even listen in... The fact that La Playa has gone Tejano on Saturdays with DJ's is a great start as well, but I bet it's not totally tejano. I haven't or didn't go on the first day, but I bet lot's of norteno and banda music was probably played as well. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what usually happens at a "tejano" club...
I've also noticed that not very many people post on this website. Maybe one or two a day. There doesn't seem to be much interest. I think if more of the bigger name tejano groups were being brought to west texas, if would give people more to talk about and give the local talent more exposure. But if the local talent is all we have to look forward to, then that won't draw much interest because most people don't know them or their music, and won't make the effort to go see them if it's just them playing. YOu have to draw the bigger bands with the bigger crowds to make it worth the time. Just my opinion.
I see on other websites how the bigger names of tejano play consistently in the Dallas, San Antonio,Houston,and Corpus areas, &thesurrounding cities and towns of those areas as well!! And west texas?????????? NADA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well first of all I have to disagree with the both of u, it's obvious as to why their are hardly any events goin on in this year. First of all u both should know by now that we're in an economy struggle for one, easy as that, n it takes money n sponsorship to hold these kind of events! How the hell else do you think these bands that u, tejanostarved are requesting, are gonna get here?? Do u actually think these bands come cheap n do u think that they will play for free or somethin?? Nu uh! U question as to why cant we be like houston, dallas, corpus, etc??! well cause they are big cities n they have MORE PEOPLE that go to these events as well as out of towners that travel to see their fav artists! DUH! BAD COMPARISON BRO! U cant fully determine that it's never gonna be the way it used to be in this area, just because their hasn't been any events goin on just yet! It takes time bro, AGAIN! especially in this area, all u have to have is patience man, cause if u dont, ur just gonna keep on starving bro! N Ben honestly man, u really didnt answer the question! N I don't exactly agree with you, that this is the fastest growing tejano scene in the STATE man! IF IT Were, TEJANO WOULD BE BIG LIKE IT USED TO BE LIKE TS SAID, CAUSE WE"RE THE CORE N HEART OF TEXAS,, N WOULD BE IN THE TEJANO SCENE, IF WE WERE THE FASTEST GROWING! BUT WE"RE NOT, DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEIR ISN'T ANYTHING GOIN ON JUST YET, THAT"S WHERE I SLIGHTLY AGREE WITH TS! N ur way off da subject, FYI! LOL! of course there are the stations that we can jam to n what not, but that is a whole different story bro, where talkin bout events here! LOL! AND As far as la playa! IF UR TALKIN BOUT LA PLAYA DOS, IT IS A COMPLETE TEJANO NITE CLUB ON SATURDAYS!... HINSE THE NAME! (DOS!) IT IS SEPERATED FROM LA PLAYA! WHICH MEANS THE MAIN CLUB IS SEPERATED FROM (DOS!) NOT THE SAME CLUB GUYS! FYI! AGAIN! IT"S TWO DIFERENT CLUBS! AND THE DJ"S PLAY NOTHIN BUT NON STOP TEJANO DUDES! THE DJ"S ARE THE DJ"S THAT DJ ON THIS VERY SITE! RAY FUENTEZ N JAIME LOPEZ. N THEY ARE JUST STARTING! FYI! THEY JUST KICKED OFF THIS PAST SATURDAY! AND THEIR HOPEIN TO ATTRACT TEJANO FANS WITH SOMETHIN TEJANO ON THE WKNDS! MAYBE SOON ENOUGH U"LL SEE UR FAV ARTIST THERE, MAYBE THEY"LL START GETTING BOOKED THERE PRETTY SOON IF PEEPS START SHOWIN UP N SHOW THEIR SUPPORT, ALL WE GOTTA DO IS SUPPORT N SHOW UP N TELL UR FRIENDS, EASY AS THAT! BUT IM TIRED OF THE CRYING & NEGATIVITY ALREADY,, SOME OF U PEEPS JUST NEED TO HAVE SOME **** PATIENCE! AND ENOUGH OF THE NEGATIVITY! IF U AINT GOT NOTHIN GOOD TO SAY N U CLAIM TO BE A REAL FAN THEN KEEP UR MOUTHS SHUT N JUST WAIT! DON'T MAKE A FOOL OF URSELVES! U NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD BE IN THE WORKS IN THE NEAR FUTURE! CHINGOW! CRYIN ISN'T GONNA GET U NOWHERE MAYNE N LADY! LOL! BE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT WE GOT NOW! LIKE THIS KICK ASS WEBSITE N STATION WE ON RIGHT NOW! JUST UP TO YOU! YEA YOU! READING THIS! TO HELP MAKE IT GROW! THANKS TO TEJANOVIBES AND ANY OTHER GROUPS THAT ARE BUSTIN THEY"RE ASSES TO KEEP THIS BEAUTIFUL MUSIC N CULTURE ALIVE! THE CREATOR OF THIS SITE IS A GENIOUS BY THE WAY! LOL! IM DONE! THIS IS MY OPINION!
REPLY IF U WANT! HAVE A GOOD ONE! VIVA TEJANO!

Patient guy, what are you talking about? I was at last years Mex Tex and it was packed with tejano lovers!!! That's why it was moved to the football/baseball complex in Midland!! To accomodate the huge crowds, and this year, the crowd was bigger!! So the fact of it all is, the people WILL and HAVE shown up!! People in west texas want their tejano! You say that they only play in the big cities because more will show up, then how many more show up compared to the crowd at the Mex Tex? And as far as the economy, these big name bands are playing out of the state as well!! Go check out the other tejano websites that list events going on, and you will see for yourself!! You might call it crying or belly aching, but I think it's been a long time coming for groups to come. Look at the norteno scene. They bring proups to west texas all the time because people go. Tejano needs to do the same, cuz the people have proven to show up as well!! If the big name bands come, it doesn't matter how bad the economy is, the people WILL SHOW UP!!! It's time to quit playing conservative and start playing hardball in west texas!!!

WHAT AM "I" TALKIN ABOUT?? I THINK U NEED TO GO BACK AND RE-READ WHAT YOU YOU WROTE N WHAT I WROTE DAWG! I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT PEOPLE NOT SHOWING UP DUDE! WHAT I MEANT IS THAT IF UR WANTIN SOMEONE TO PUT ON AN EVENT OR IF UR GONNA START REQUESTING AN EVENT, THEN PEOPLE NEED TO CONTINUE TO SHOW UP FIRST, THAT"S WHAT I MEANT! U GOTTA START OFF SLOW N MAKE UR WAY UP, U CANT JUST EXPECT SOMETHIN BIG ALL AT ONCE THAT HASN'T CONTINUOSLY N CONSISTENTLY BEEN GOIN ON FROM A TIME PERIOD TO ANOTHER! N THAT"S WHY MEX TEX IS ALWAYS PACKED BECAUSE IT"S AN ANNUAL EVENT N HAS BEEN GOIN ON FOR 23 YEARS NOW! I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT PEOPLE NOT SHOWIN UP! I WAS THERE MYSELF AT MEX TEX! IM THERE EVERY YEAR! BUT YET THEY HAD ALOT OF SPONSORS LIKE I SAID!!! IT TAKES MONEY FIRST BRO! N THAT"S WHAT THE HELL SPONSORSHIP HELPS OUT WITH N WHY U NEED SPONSORSHIP TO HELP WITH AN EVENT! AND IT"S NOT EASY GETTIN SPONSORSHIP RIGHT NOW! AGAIN! WITH ECONOMY SLOWIN THINGS DOWN! HOW THE HELL ELSE DO U F"IN BRING A BAND IN TO BEGIN WITH?? SO THAT WHY I SAY U NEEDA BE PATIENT FOOL! N YOUR WRONG AGAIN! THE ONLY REASON WHY THEY MOVED IT TO THE SCHARBAUER SPORTS COMPLEX COMMONS AREA IS BECAUSE THEY ARE RENOVATING N REMODELING DOWNTOWN PLAZA N PLUS THE COMMONS AREA IS SMALLER THAN DOWNTOWN PLAZA.. FYI!!! BUT AS FOR THE BIGGER AREAS N CITIES, YES THEY HAVE MORE PEOPLE N BIGGER CROWDS! WHY DO U THINK THEY HAVE CONCERTS N DANCES EVERY WKND THERE IN THOSE CITIES U"VE LISTED?? BECAUSE THEY"RE CONSISTENT IN BRINGIN IN THE BIG NAMES n CROWDS! THAT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE! THEY HAVE ALOTA SPONSORSHIP N THE PEOPLE IN THE BIGGER CITIES! THAT"S ALL I'M SAYIN MAN! U SAID SO URSELF! FACE IT! NOW YOUR SAYIN A WHOLE DIFFERENT THING N CHANGING THE STORY.... WHY DID YOU POST THIS TO BEGIN WITH THEN?? UR WASTIN UR BREATH! THESE GUYS THAT ARE WORKING BEHIND THE SCENES KNOW WHAT THEY"RE DOIN! SO JUST WAIT MAN! IF U CANT, THEN JUST MOVE ON! US REAL SUPPORTERS WILL STICK WITH WHAT WE HAVE FOR NOW THEN DO WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE IT BIG AGAIN! I BEEN REPEATING MYSELF! IT TAKES TIME N MONEY DUDE! U CANT JUST DECIDE OR SAY LET"S HAVE AN EVENT MAYBE BANDS WILL JUST SHOW UP N PLAY?... THIS AINT WAYNESTOCK FROM WAYNE'S WORLD 2 DUDE! LOL! JK! ANYWAY! DUDE ALL IM SAYIN IS BE PATIENT BRO! GETTIN MAD N FRUSTRATED GETS YOU NOWHERE! JUST MAKES U MAKE A FOOL OF URSELF! N POST MESSAGES LIKE THIS ONE, THAT U CANT EVEN BACK UP IN WHAT YOU SAY BRO! JUST BE PATIENT IS ALL I'M SAYIN! IF TEJANO MUSIC COMES BACK STRONG N GOES BIG LIKE IT DID IN THE 90's n 80's THEN IT WILL! IF IT DOESN'T, THEN THAT"S OK TOO! BUT I KNOW IT WILL! IT"S STILL IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE OUR CULTURE N PART OF WHO WE ARE! IT WILL NEVER DIE! IT"S IN OUR BLOOD! AND WOW! U MUST REALLY BE THINKIN BOUT THIS HUH?? CONSIDERING UR POSTS ARE IN THE WEE HRS OF THE MORNING! JK! HAVE A GOOD ONE TEJANO FAM!!!

Hey "Patient" you said it all in one big paragraph. I apologize for not being real specific about what I was saying, I was just trying to put on a positive piece for this Starving dude. And you're right, we just gotta keep our heads up high and chests' out. Thank you for breaking down our messages and figuring out what we actually said wrong. I was saying that the "Odessa/Midland area is the fastest growing Tejano music industry in Texas" out of my personal belief. It's good to think that way right? Like you said VIVE TEJANO!
Just don't try to pick an arguement over one little question. It was just a question and you sounded like you were tearing up while you were typing your "book".

To be honest with you Midland, has grown a lot in Tejano in my personal opinion. If you consider how it use to be. Not like in the 80s or 90s but here in the past 10rs. WE didn't have a Sedona Tejano Saturdays we didn't have a Cabanas we didn't have a 1230 AM and we defenetly didn't have an ACTUAL TEJANO CLUB THAT PLAYED STRAIGHT TEJANO!!!!! WE have to support ALL of our local Tejano hot spots in order to let the people running it know that they are not just digging themselves into a hole by trying to market something that is not marketable. We have to support everyone!! If these club owners see that TEJANO nights is bringing in the money they are going to bring in big bands they are going to keep the Saturday Tejano club going. That is why SUPPORTING local clubs and even the events that we do have, makes a difference. Lets stop talking about it and start doing something about it is what I say. WE can sit here on this message board and talk away about oh tejano is dead, we don't have Jay Perez here once a month or whoever. It would be really nice to hear Jay Perez in Midland/Odessa here every weekend but trust me Jay Perez does cost a pretty penny. He deserves every bit of it too! Artist also look for hot spots. A musician friend of mine who plays in a VERY WELL KNOWN band asked me about a month ago, "What tejano club do you guys have over there so that I can get *&^ to play?" I was like ummmmmmmm, really we don't have anywhere that you guys can play unless you can get a hold of someone that does our summer concerts. He was shocked that we didn't have a tejano club!! But look peeeps we do now. So lets take advantage of it support it and bring it to life. We can all do this together, that is all it takes. You guys take care and GO TO THE FREAKIN' TEJANO CLUB THIS SAT!!! LOL! God Bless!!

Tania Castaneda

THERE YOU GO TANIA! SHE SAID IT ALL RIGHT THERE N ADDED WHAT I LEFT OUT! THANK YOU TANIA!!! YOU DA WOMAN!!! LIKE SHE SAID GO TO THAT **** CLUB N TELL UR FRIENDS! TELL UR PRIMAS, TIA"S, COMADRE"S, TELL EVERYBODY TO START GOIN N GET STARTED SOMEWHERE N STOP TALKIN BOUT IT LIKE TANIA SAID!!! U GO GIRL!!! PEACE OUT FAM!

Patient guy, I don't see how I'm making a fool out of myself for asking why there aren't more events going on in west texas and for you to call me a fool, fool! The one that's looking like a fool is you with your rambling that makes no sense and your lack of spelling.

I already said the people have proven to show up to these events, so now it's time to pick it up!! I know about the economy, and dont' you think in the hard times the sponsors benefit because of the exposure they will get for doing so?! And tejano isn't limited to the bigger cities either, I also said they play in the smaller towns close to the big cities.
I too support tejano music and what Midland/Odessa is trying to do, but it's time to lift the bar and get this tejano movement really going!!

Hey, Midland/Odessa is a happening place for Tejano music right now. Tejano Starved is right, not even Lubbock can touch us! The only problem we had this summer was sponsorships. Two major sponsors who dish out the big dough-$$ chose not to sponsor this summer due to the economy, seriously. This time last year the economy was booming big time! We had about 7 Tejano outdoor events lastyear and unfortunately this year we are down to maybe 2 or 3. September is usually a big month for Tejano, so we'll see how it goes.

JUST KEEP IT TEJANO AND WE'LL BE ALRIGHT! It'll be back in the swing of things soon.

Everytime i post it takes me hours cause i can't find the right words,i think what we need our own Tejano music convention so we can air out our opinions and maybe we can find solutions to enhance Tejano!
anyone intrested, you think we can all work together
promoters,dj's, club owners, fans?? by the way Little Joe will be making an exclusive apperance on labor day weekend in Odessa, Fri. Sept. 4th, if we sell this show out ,it can speak volumes for the industry, tickets will be 15.00 presale and he is performing 2 sets and La Koza will take up the intermission times.
It's ok to complain , thats how we work things out , but to knock others down just cause we don't like them is something to think about. I will say one thing i am always open to suggestions ,i am easy to gt a hold off, just call the station 332 1230.i'm not perfect and i can't help being in the lime light but it is was it is.
When the people start buying tickets Tejano will be king!!