General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mex-Tex 2010!

Mex-Tex is just right around the corner and the Midland Hispanic Chamber of Commerce would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the support you have given us the past 22 years!

We are in the process of booking the entertainment for this year's event and we would like to hear from you. Who would you like for us to bring this year? What other events would you like to see at Mex-Tex? We want your input so reply to this forum, call me at (432) 570-9824 or email me at rls@midlandhcc.com.

Re: Mex-Tex 2010!

Definately Jay Perez!! Stephanie Montiel, she hasn't been in midland in forever n she knows how to put on a good show! David Marez again, would've liked to see more of him, wasn't too satisfied with his rushed performance last year, Ricardo Castillon Y La Differencia when's the last time he has been to midland, Ram Hererra, David Lee Garza, La Mafia. As far as Old school bands,, Ruben Ramos, El Guti! Augustin Ramirez & Jimmy Edward those are my favs. Anyway, There's just soo many to name! but those are few for NOW! LOL! and hopefully some people would agree on some of em if not all of em.

La Differencia and Los Palominos would make a great show!

I would love to see La Sombra, Texas Latino, Stefanie Montiel or even Xelencia ....La Diferencia would also be good. Joe Posada would be a great return as well, with maybe some more playing time!

X-Tremo From Big Spring Texas wouldn't mind being an opening act for this event. we play nothing but tejano. we have a male singer and can change it up to a female singer so we can mix it up. we haven't play in this event and would love to this year. we have a good selection of cover songs and some originals as well.
so if your needing a different sound for an opening act, we are not to far from Midland, Tx. TejanoVibes has a demo cd and plays it on this website from time to time and the vibes posse has heard it too.
i can be reach at 1-432-816-1802 and email is posted on this reply. thank you for your time.

Adios, Manuel Hilario

Manny, u'r band is very much past due to come perform in Midland again. You guys rock. I will keep in touch with you this spring/summer for sure.

I think all those choices are excellent... My picks... La Diferencia, La Sombra, La Fiebre, Jay Perez, Eddie Gonzales, David Lee Garza, Xelencia, Shelley Lares, La Mafia, etc......

Maybe you could call it, THE MEX-TEX 90'S IN 2010 EXTRAVAGANZA!! Or something to that flavor. Can you imagine the crowd that would show up for this one?! Having all these groups in west texas for a week end would be a Tejano's Paradise!!!

OK I GUESS I'LL THROW MY PICKS IN THE HAT. LA TROPA F, ROGER VELASQUEZ, STAMPEDE, RAM HERRERA, DAVID MAREZ,CHENTE BARRERA AND AVIZO. THATS A LINEUP. MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE A CONTEST TO NAME THE EVENT. ANYWAY THESE ARE MY PICKS BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO SHOWS UP ITS ALL GOOD. PURO TEJANO QUE NO. YOU COULD EVEN THROW TOGETHER A SMALL FAN FAIR.

I would like to also add los Desperadoz and Los Matadors for opening act La Distancia from San Marcos because they play the best cumbia that will make you want to dance all nite!!! I LOVE YOU I.T!!!
-CC

Oh,is it my turn?
Any of the bands listed so far would make a great show. Everyone has their favorites,either as an opening act or the main attraction. Guess you could say that I'm old school...I like a band with a full horn section. Two of MY favorites are Latin Express and Nightlife. Latin Express has played in Midland before, but not for Mex-Tex. Nightlife, from Del Rio, has only played private events in Odessa. They would make a great addition to any line-up.They play a little bit of everything...sometimes better than the original artist. They (Nightlife) also have a special vocalist in Nora Carrillo. She can sing with the best of them. I know Nightlife has a private gig in Kermit in June...so don't know if they would be available. Anyway,these are my choices...Who's next?

Defenetly LOS DEPERADOZ!! Those guys are amazing at putting on an awsome show. I don't know the last time they have been to Midland, so bringing them down here would be awsome! Elida and her band are awsome as well. Jay Perez never dissapoints, and David Lee Garza always brings that awsome Tejano vibe to any show he performs at. Thats awsome that Rachel took the time to ask us what the people would like at the Mex-Tex this year!! YAAAAY RACHEL!!!! Take Care.

Tania Castaneda!

I really enjoyed the Electric Cowboys. I also like
Chente Barrera and Control. The opening act last year was pretty good they played like Ozomotli. If you do have local bands, you could also include Manfrio, Los Matadors, etc. I like my Tejano, but I also like a variety of music. I was just happy to be able to take my family to hear live music. I know they are looking forward to it again this year, whoever is coming we will be there.

I will have to agree on Los Desperadoz!!! They did one bad ass show in San Antonio when I got to see them for the first time. Wouldn't mind seeing them again. Also, I know Chepito Y Tejano Brown has voiced his interest in performing here in the area. Tex Mex Kadillaks, Veronica Y Avance, Sunny Sauceda, AJ Castillo, also Tejano Sound Band. There's my list just to name a few. Tejano Music Lives on in West Texas!

Been a while I visited Tejanovibes! MEX-TEX 2010! Hmmm...I'd like to really see Jay Perez, Chente Barrera, David Marez and Joe Posada LIVE at this years event! Maybe also Shelly Lares and Elida Reyna along with Grupo Vida and Ram Herrera and of coarse David Lee Garza always puts on a show! Oh my favorite event so far was I believe Las Fiestas Patrias which I think they hosted Jay Perez, Ram Herrera and Control! OMG, that was tha GREATEST LINE UP in downtown Midland! By the way, will this years Mex-Tex be hosted in downtown OR Grande!?! Just wondering! But Mex-Tex 2010 sounds like a great event so far just by the feedback!

Well let see if you are planning on bringing Jay Perez back then you better start planning on advertising a lot, not only on KOZA & Tejano Vibes Radio, but across West Texas in Lubbock & Abilene. So that it will bring the people in those areas to the Midland/Odessa/Big Spring Area. Then Tejano bands will recognize our potential to have the BEST Tejano Venues in our area GO TEJANO.

These Are My Pics To Bring Tejano Back

My Pics are for Friday's Concert
Local Band: X-Tremo (5-6)
Local Band: Grupo Sello (6-7)
Large Band: Los Curitas with WTCO (7-8)
Large Band: Stampede (8-9)
Large Band: Xelencia (9-10)
Large Band: Joe Posada (10-11)

Saturday's Concert
Local Band: Los Matadors (3-4)
Local Band: Albert Y PT Showband (4-5)
Large Band: La Sombra (5-6)
Large Band: La Diferenzia (6-7)
Large Band: Stefani Moniel (7-7:30)
Large Band: Shelly Lares (7:30-8)
Large Band: Eldia Reyna (8-8:30)
Large Band: Las 3 Divas (8:30-10)
Large Band: David Lee Garza with Special Guest Jay
Perez, Chente Barrera & David Marez(10-1)

Sunday's Concert - NO LOCAL BANDS OLD SCHOOL LEGENDS
Large Band: The Legends * (AUGUSTINE RAMIREZ, SUNNY
OZUNA, CARLOS GUZMAN & FREDDIE MARTINEZ)
(5-7)
Large Band: Ruben Ramos (7-9)
Large Band: Little Joe * ^ (9-11)

* Accompanied With The West Texas Chicano Orquesta
^ LAST SONG LAS NUBES WITH RUBEN RAMOS AND THE
LEGENDS

DJ Paul, nice line-up...it's like you described a freaking Tejano Woodstock concert. We'd have to camp out! :) LOL! Nice.

An event like that would easily cost over $100,000.

I've attended the tejano car show the last couple of years, and each time I've left disappointed and cheated!! Each band is given 20-30 minutes to perform except for the top group performing. I don't like this format. It takes away from each group playing their best. This year, I saw La Diferencia and Jay sharing group members, not good. Give each group it's proper time, and make it worth the time and travel they will make to west texas! From what I've read, seems La Diferencia, Jay, David Lee Garza, Los Desperados, Shelly Lares, and a couple of others are the front runners. I hope if this were to happen, each of these groups will be given plenty of time to perform and put on their shows for all of west texas to enjoy. I'd also like to see La Sombra, Eddie Gonzales, and La Fiebre back in west texas as well. I think bringing these top groups to the permian basin will be waaaaay worth it!! Please make it happen!!!!

I too was wondering where it will be held this summer. I kinda like the downtown area myself. I think it gives it a little different flavor. Might even be cooler with the shade the downtown buildings produce compared to the wide open space at the complex.

I'd like to thank everyone for your responses; we really do appreciate your support. The event will be held at the Scharbauer Sports Complex on June 4-5, 2010. We cannot go back downtown due to the school year being extended, which means graduation is the same day as Mex-Tex and Project Graduation takes place downtown.

For those of you concerned about the artist playing time; each artist is asked to perform a 90 min set. Last year the storm caught us & we were not able to do that. I will let you know that we had plan to cancel the bands that were not able to play during their time slot because of the storm but the bands requested to play for 30 mins. each so that they would not disappoint their fans. They wanted to make sure that the fans got to at least hear a little of their music so they came up with the new schedule so they could all play!

Keep your suggestions coming as we are in the process of seeing which bands are available.

Just wanted to let yall know Juan Sanchez y Erupcion wouldnt mind getting up there and playing!! Let me know!! 432.934.9303

I love June, and the TexMex!

I dont like the idea of bringing Jay Perez, He is totally turning into one of the biggest DIVA'S there is, a DIVO..LOL!
I really like that local bands would like to play, this is a great way to let other people from broader West Texas, and New Mexico know that we have great talent here in our backyard!
I would love for you to book Groupo Vida/Electric Cowboys, they always put on a great show, that has great variety, Tejano, Country, Old Skool...!
I do really miss that Ram Herrera hasnt been to midland for about 3-4 years, He would be great for the Ladies! Also someone else for the Ladies, who hasnt been to West Texas lately is Gary Hobbs.
And for the guys, Shelly is such a great performer, and so is Stefani.

I love having fun at the festival, Food and Music, and Booze, its a great time!!

Socialite,

FYI....Just in case Ram doesn't make "the cut" for Mex-Tex line up in June...he is already scheduled for the Glass Slipper Ball at the International Ballroom in Odessa, April 17th.

Hey Jacob, or is "ZORRO", what are you the manager for Juan Sanchez or what?Shouldn't you be worried more about Los Tigres or Rieleros leave the Tex-Mex to the real fans not part timers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand about giving the local talent a chance in the line up, but they play year round in the area! Bring the top groups that rarely are in the permian basin. The locals will get their chance all year long to perform at local events other than the mex-tex. I want to see and hear my favorites, please!!!!!! It about time this event brings the best to west texas!!!

Hey Guys!

Those are some great line up considerations for this years MEX TEX celebration. I would agree with the post on the horn bands! (Im partial!) Bands like Nightlife, Latin Express, would be great to have. Then you could have a more mainstream group like Roger Velasquez or even the Latin Breed (who will start up full force in MAY 2010)

I remember the year we (Little Joe & La Familia) played the event! That was one of the best crowds Ive ever played for in my whole career! But thats to be expected....its WEST TEXAS! Makes me proud!

If your looking for some upcoming talent to open up the show, Id definantly shoot for Los Matadors or Puro Tejano Showband! Those shows are always awesome. Ive also still got the West Texas Chicano Orquesta in my back pocket! (still working on finishing the album) lol A show with Los Matadors, or Los Curitas accompanied by the WTCO would be a show to remember too. And as Mr Paul Landin Stated.......the legends with the WTCO is also a possiblity. I have all the connections with those guys to make that happen. Even with Johnny Hernandez! He always puts on a great show. Oh yeah.... the Tortilla Factory would also be a bad a** show to see! These guys are making a come back and i hear the band is on fire!

Im really glad to see that the opportunity was given to state who you would like to see play this year! Thats awesome! I wish that would be done more often in our industry!

Back to the WTCO.....I havent forgotten about my album. I know folks are still waiting for it. lol Ive been super busy with Lil Joe but I promise its almost done! I really think you guys are goin to like it! Im also producing Juaquin Cura's (Los Curitas) album. That is turning out to be an awesome project! Keep an eye out for it in the near future.

Dont forget to keep supporting the up and coming acts of our industry! Just think......in 10 to 15 years...names like Los Matadors, Juaquin Cura, etc. will be those names thrown out there when this Question is asked again!!!

Tu Amigo,

John Ontiveros
LOS HOT HORNS! Entertainment
WEST TEXAS CHICANO ORQUESTA

With all respect, I personally don't like the horn bands or orquestras. That's more my parents style when I was growing up. Please keep it with the true tejano beat! It's about time the big groups come to west texas. Pleeeeeease make it happen!!!

It is great to have everybodys input but the sad thing is that there will still be some unhappy persons if they don't get what they requested. But we thank you Rachel for giving us a chance. The best thing to do is you find out what groups can and are willing to come on that weekend and then give us a chance to pick from those, otherwise you have 1000 choices. I Love Tejano music with or without horns. Horns add so much to the music and so what if it is for your parents, they have the right to participate as well. As for the local groups, yes, they play around here but not everyone gets to hear them because they are at private parties and some clubs are too small to cater to as many people as the Tex-Mex does. So bring on the local bands as well. One more suggestion....having two stages so that while one stage gets ready the other group is playing at the other one. Some times sitting around waiting for the other groups just makes the people ready to leave if it takes too long. One stage doesn't keep me home but two would be nice, where all we would have to do is turn out chairs. Good Luck Rachel

Totally agree with Gloria!! Couldn't of been said any better than that! It's All Tejano Music anyways!! And that is what matters most and what Mex-Tex has centered this event around over the years. So I think all of these local groups SHOULD be able to have a chance at it as well, at least 4 opening acts, they all have proved that they have a lot of talent, can put on a great show & entertain a crowd.. If u don't agree with them playing, then don't show up as early if it bothers you that much. I think that your starting to be quite demanding now mr. starved, and don't get me wrong there bro, but as far as I can remember, this was supposed to be an open suggestion, not a demand, a what YOU want n DON'T want for YOURSELF! You are the only one complaining n demanding sir, hey, I'd like to see you put on ur own event if u don't agree with what they will have booked! YOU gotta remember that ur la fiebre's, eddie gonzalez, la sombra's, etc. were locals as well when they started out, so in order to keep Tejano alive and going, these guys need their exposure as well, it doesn't hurt to give these local bands a shot, because someday THEY will be as popular n as big as your favorites today! They too are obviously keepin it alive n doin what they do with passion and that is awesome n we needa show them a lil more support n give them props by letting them play as well. Then when they do make it big, u'll definetely have to jump ship my friend when that happens! LOL! It all starts somewhere bro is where im gettin at!! This all too is well pertained and referred to the old school bands that "YOUR PARENTS" listened to! AGAIN!! REMEMBER! IF U KNOW YOUR HISTORY ABOUT TEJANO MUSIC, THOSE OLD SCHOOL BANDS WITH THE BRASS SOUND N HORNS, ARE THE ONES WHO STARTED THIS WHOLE THING WE CALL TEJANO MUSIC!....
IF YOU ARE TRUE TEJANO BRO, THEN U LISTEN TO IT ALL YOU AIN'T SUPPOSED TO BE PICKY! I'M 21 n I listen to it all old school, new school, brass or no brass section! I support it all n try to be at as much shows as I can! I'm hoping THAT is considered a TRUE TEJANO THO! Everybody deserves a chance n again it all starts SOMEWHERE! SO HELP KEEP IT ALIVE! N I APPRECIATE THE LOCAL BANDS A WHOLE LOT! AND IF U DONT LIKE IT! THEN MOVE ON! LIKE MOST OF EM ALREADY HAVE! SADNESS TOO! BUT THEY ALL COME BACK SOMETIME!! LIKE RIGHT NOW! LOL! And Tejano Starved,, pay attention my brotha, their is alot of upcoming shows here in the area that are already lined up starting in a few wks WITH I think some of your favs that u have listed here in Midland! N I myself am excited about all these coming up! May not have to wait till June either! But that doesn't mean I wont be there at Mex Tex, LOL! To all my fellow Tejano's Out There! Have A Good One!! I AM Proud To Be A Tejano!! Much Love To You All!! Especially to the artist n local artists!! Thank You for what you do,, the DJ's n MC's that expose of this beautiful sound n music,, N BIG Thanks To The Chamber And Rachel for what she does! She really is an awesome lady for letting us have a say in it as well!!

Don't get me wrong guys, the question was asked as to what we would like for the line up at the mex-tex. I gave what I PREFERRED! We all have our want's and dont's, and I just simply gave my opinion. I saw it threw a "perfect tejano" weekend for myself and others, that's all. I too will be there, but if given the opportunity to give your preferrence, I did! So chill out guys!!! LOL!! I also wouldn't mind the local or the brass, but the mex-tex only has so much time during the weekend, considering what time it will start on friday and saturday. If it were a 3 day event, I could see it happening plus all my favorites! I just don't know if the event has room or time for everyone, but in MY OPINION, let's keep it with the big guys/gals coming to west texas this year!! Then next year mix it up with everything, or close to it. It's not everyday an event like Mex-Tex asks the opinion of the fans as to who to bring. I thought that was awesome to have a say in it all!!!

well said I.T. there is so much talent out there so where do you start. but one thing said its all tejano its all good.

LOL! it's koo bro, it just sounded like you were taking on demand there by quoting "MAKE IT HAPPEN" but at least you said please, LOL!... I understand where you're coming from though man, but again, it's not like the locals are gonna be taking up a WHOLE bunch of time n be playing for hrs or anything like that, don't have to worry about that. They are "opening acts" to get the party started!! AND you know the majority of the bands that get the most playing time ARE the veterans anyway, it all just depends on when you show up as well, which i'm sure you know that by now, but still man, everybody should be able to play! You'll see your favs! If not at mex tex,, Again,, they have been having quite a bit going on in the area anyway, in the past few wks the midland/odessa area has had La Mafia, David Lee Garza Y Los Musicales and Jimmy Gonzalez Y Grupo Mazz and let me tell you if you weren't at that one YOU MISSED OUT!! PACKED HOUSE AS WELL! Elida is gonna be in town Friday I think, not too sure! but she is supposed to be playin at cabana's if that is still on schedule! AND DONT FORGET FEB 5TH, LITTLE JOE N DA FAM WITH RAULITO NAVAIRA Y GRUPO RIO, HIS BRO EMILIO"S BAND, OH AND HEARD HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE MAKING A COME BACK PRETTY SOON AS WELL! SO THAT'S MORE GREAT NEWS!! AND THAT ONES GONNA BE AT EL GRAN MARQUEZ, there is a HUGE BANNER on da homepage about that event b4 you enter this very awesome site, im sure u've seen it, LOL! So don't worry, THERE WILL BE ALOT MORE BRO'S n SIS'S! AND AM SURE YOU WILL BE HEARING ABOUT THOSE TOO ON THIS SITE TAMBIEN!! SO us Tejano's will need to re-cooperate n start packing these venues of events coming up so that it will all be back in running on a consistent basis at least like in the old days, when I COULDN'T GET IN! LOL! SO SUPPORT, SUPPORT, SUPPORT! AND TO THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE UNDER A ROCK AND CLAIM TO NOT HEAR ABOUT NONE OF THESE EVENTS OR THAT THERE IS JUST NOTHING GOIN ON IN WEST TEXAS, BE ONDA LOOK OUT HERE, HEY! IF "I" HEAR SOMETHIN IS COMING UP, I MYSELF AS A SUPPORTER WILL POST SOMETHING ON HERE FOR YOU MY FELLOW TEJANO'S Y TEJANA'S, Well, AS LONG AS I GET THE RIGHT CONFIRMATION FIRST, LOL! JUST TO REMIND YOU GUYS N TO MAKE SURE YOU WILL N CAN SHOW UP!! N IF OTHER PEEPS YOU KNOW, THAT ARE FANS! DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO INTERNET OR ANYTHING LIKE THIS, SPREAD THE WORD VOCALLY! I THINK IT"S ABOUT THAT TIME AGAIN FOLKS!! IT"S ALL UP TO US GUYS N GALS! THANKS AGAIN! TEJANO ALL THE WAY BABY! QUE VIVA LA MUSICA TEJANA!! PROUD TO BE A TEJANO!! MUCH LOVE TO YOU ALL!!

I'm glad you can understand now. I thought i was fixing to be the bad guy. It was just me hoping in a "perfect" world, that I could have all the tejano I could possibly have by having all my favorites in one weekend!! We all pay money, why not pay to see our favorites if we have a say in it, right? But anyways, I'm glad to see tejano is on it's way back to west texas, I just wish it'd speed it up a little!! LOL! Take care and keep us informed. I too have to be picky because I don't live in the permian basin. I'd have to plan ahead to make the 4-5 hr trip, especially on fridays...

All I gotta say just as long as it says TEJANO it all that matters to me & when the date is announce I'll be there cause I'm a Tejano DJ, Tejano Fan & a TEJANO FREAK!!! I Just hope they keep it Straight Tejano

Viva Tejano!

Re: Mex-Tex 2010! (ROLAND)

mister "ROLAND"..... i have and always will be a tejano fan.... dont judge someone for who they work for.... dont hate because i have a job and u dont... and ur right about one thing i am parttime... but only on air.... i do more than just from 7-10.... and if u feel like u have something to say to me MAN up and tell me to my face!!!! LONG LIVE TEJANO MUSIC

Veronica y AVANCE

I represent Veronica y AVANCE.
We would love to perform for this event

He is a couple of videos of our performances:

Ramon (TAP) Sustaita
tap@deadbirdrecords.com
(972)897-9799

so i heard Ram Herrera lost his accordion player and is not coming for the dance this saturday.... i hope this is not true and if it is then Newswest 9 and Tejano Vibes need to fix this QUICK!!

LOL....IF that was true...Ram could call his "godson", AJ Castillo to help out. AJ just last week sat in with Ruben Ramos...I think he could handle playing with Ram...if not, Accordian players are a dime a dozen in San Anto. I wouldn't worry too much about Ram cancelling....

LOL @ Chito. Accordian players are a dime a dozen in SA for sure. I believe Ram is looking for a full time player, not a "on call" player. AJ maybe the oncall player, who knows.

DJ Paul Landin

I just wanted to thank you for helping us out in Big Spring on Saturday at the Fair Barn. You did an awesome job. We will be calling you again.

For you people that have not heard or seen Mr Paul Landin perform you have been missing a great show. This man has his stuff together. He dresses up sharp, dances to his tunes and, talks very professional. We totally recommend him for your next occasion.

Paul, I just want to say that I'm proud of you. Keep keep up the great work.

Thanks Again
Tony Revilla/Los Matadors

Re: DJ Paul Landin

First Things First I would Love to thanks Tony Revilla and Los Matadors for giving me an opportunity to be the Intermission DJ for your group this past saturday for the Valentines Day Dance. Y'all are truly an inspiration to the young generation & y'all get better every time I see y'all perform. Keep Doing What y'all are doing, I see great things for all of you.

To Tony:

It's an honor to have met you from the time when I was young watching you and my dad & the rest of the band members from Destino Band play. All of you helped me get started in the music business. Once again Thank You & May God Bless You for everything that you've done for me.

To Los Matadors:

Thank you for calling me and giving me the opportunity to DJ for you.
Tania, Anthony, Adrian, Andy, Ryan, Jay & Ben
all of you are great performers/musicians Thank You & May God Bless You for everything that you've done for me and keep inspiring listeners and potential musician for this GENRE in which WE LOVE

TEJANO

Thank You,

DJ PAUL LANDIN
DJ PAUL LANDIN MUSIC SERVICES