General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Attention All Tejanos!!!

I thought that would get your attention. First of all I would like to thank Ray for all your help with finding all this music I've asked for lately. Man bro its good to see someone else who loves music like I do, whether it be old school or new music.

Now for the rest of you Tejanos out there. My name is Albert Garcia of the Puro Tejano Showband(PTS) and for a while now I've been reading all of these posts about whats going on here in West Texas with our music industry. Look by no means I don't want to upset or alienate anyone out there but there is a few things that I need to get off of my chest.

First of all, like so many of us Tejano Fans, I too am excited with all the "Big Names" that have come to play in our area. Granted I have not been to many of them but not by choice, remember I also have to play on those dates.
Now as a fellow Tejano Musician, thats when I start to have a problem. For years Myself, PTS, The Matadors, Sello, Jerome Luera, Los America, Los Barelas and countless others have been busting our ass for you people and have endured highs and lows but we do it for the love of Tejano Music. Listen, we all know if you think your going to get rich in this business than you're in the wrong one. But thats where the problems start to come in. We have all these "Big Bands" coming in and charging thousands of dollars (I Know a lot of them personally and yes we talk) but then you have the "promoters" asking for an opening band to play for pennies or to donate their time so we can get heard. Are You Serious Man? We have been being heard for a few years now and your telling me with the success of some of these Mega dances, notice I said some, you can't afford to pay the local artists a fair price? For example; I have been approached several times to open shows and I request a price of 100 each member(there's 6 of us).And your telling me, well I can get Pepe and Pancho for $300. Well go ahead, but I bet P & P will give you $300 worth of music. now I'm not saying that our music is better than anyone elses, but what i am saying is that I am confident in our Music and our show that I Laugh at such a ridiculous offer. We've done our freebies and donations for years and we're pretty much done in that category with the exception of a few good causes. I'm sure the rest of the bands feel the same way I do and if you don't, I feel for you. Don't sell yourself short. We appreciate places like Sedona, Cabana, and man do I miss Harry's who give the local talent a place to showcase what they have. Without you guys we probably wouldn't have a place to play except Quinces and Weddings.

Something that I'm gonna ask from you "Promoters" is why not Put on a West Texas SuperShow. Featuring WT Talent. Listen, Individually we might not be able to pack in the house like you guys want, but collectively, we all have our respective following of fans and together the house will be rocking. There maybe too many bands to do in one event but why not separate and make 2 or 3 throughout the year.

So there it is. An open challenge. Not to the bands but to the promoters, venues and others: Nick, Ruben, Richard, KOZA, MHCC,Gran Marquez, Los Arcos, and even my good friends Ray here at the Vibes and Adrian and anyone else who would just like to get involved. Who will step up to the plate and really support Tejano Music er, "Your" Tejano Music in "Your" Area... "TU MUSICA"?? Yeah We'll See!!

Like I said before, I'm a friend to a lot of these people and I hope I didn't **** you guys off, but Those days of getting run over because we're local are over. Oh let me clear something up when we say local, we don't mean local band we mean locally based!!

Have a great day and week and we'll see ya'll at Sedona's this Sat. Supporting my Lil' Buddies, LOS MATADORS with Tania and Benny!! Ponle Bros!!

Con Amor y Respecto,
Albert G. and the P.T. Showband

Re: Attention All Tejanos!!!

Es Todo carnal. What did you have for breakfast??? 'lol' que bravo hijo de sue...

Gracias
Tony

Albert I agree with your post, but it has always been that way with promoters
here in West Texas. I'll help anyway I can.

You know I have your guys' back Albert! And you already know what I think about this.100% Local Tejano Band Supporter!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Albert.
This is Danny Rodriquez and I myself run a business, Grupo Sello.
Throughout the year we contribute to 3 events where we play for FREE or donate our time. Be advised that as a business we also have musicians that we pay out of our own pockets for such events. Every structured band does the same thing and goes through similar expenses.

So in a sence, It cost me money to play for free or for exposure. And By no means is this a complaint because we give back to our community and help anyway we can. But Sello is an established band just like all the other bands from the area. We love to play our Tejano Music.

But as "local" musicians we get the short end of the stick. We let other Big Bands come in and take our money to thier respective cities when we have the talent here to put on some unforgetable shows. So as Albert said, I too Challenge you ........Lets make it happen. The best that West Texas has to offer. We dont ask for much, but please be fair with us and our prices. I promiss We wont get rich off of what is fair.
So Promoters,Grupo Sello wants to play more venues too so keep us in mind and Albert, thanks for speeking your mind.
Tu Carnal,
Danny.

Mr. Garcia I'd like to respond to your posting since you mentioned the Midland Hispanic Chamber. The Chamber has always hired local-based talent for Mex-Tex (with the exception of last year) and also for some of our smaller events throughout the year. I cannot speak for past leadership but I for one do not take advantage of our local talent. I have never asked anyone to donate their time to us nor to play for $300. We understand that you are a business and that your employees depend on you, but you also have to understand that we are a business too, a non profit at that. You mention that a lot of the promoters are “packing the house” with out of town entertainment – you are seeing the finished product. The Mex-Tex Family Fiesta is the chamber’s main fund raiser and every one thinks we get rich off of it. That event costs us $180,000 before the doors even open and we don't even make a quarter of that in profit. Last year a storm interrupted our event and we had a profit of $1200! I believe that we made money because the entertainment was from out of town and that is who our customers wanted to see. I agree with you that we need to support our local talent but in reality as a promoter we would not see a return on our investment and as a non profit we cannot afford a loss.

One more point, I started a forum on this website asking for suggestions on entertainment for this year’s event. There were a few local bands suggested but there were also comments from people that would rather not see local bands because they can be heard year round locally. Since our area is desperate for Tejano music they would rather see out of town bands that normally are not in town year round. Even with this suggestion the Chamber made the decision to hire two local bands for Mex-Tex, and I can assure you they were not offered $300!

Ms.Stone,
When I started this post a few days ago, my main goal was to raise awareness of the feelings of our local talent. I applaud you as well as everyone who has responded to the post because that means someone out there is listening to the "Little Bands" out here in W. Texas.

Now if you remember I am a big fan of all the Super Tejano acts coming in to town and rejuvenating our industry here in W.T. But the promoters need to quit trying to cut each others throats and communicate and coordinate shows better. The ones who are really losing are the true hardworking TEJANOS who want to attend all of these shows but three in one night or every week gets to be a little expensive to these folks. Get Real People and smell what's going on. We are on the verge of bringing the Tejano Market back here to WEST TEXAS, but ease into it. Too Much Too Soon and then what, now who will you bring because you already brought everyone in.

Now as far as those naysayers out there who believe we(Local Artists) have no place in the big stages or the big shows. I really don't know why they would say that, but one guess would be that they haven't been to any of our shows. The Matadors put on one heck of a performance this past weekend and we (PTS) will follow suit this weekend at Sedona. If you guys out there "say" you really support Our Tejano Bands, then why would you not want us to showcase what we have to a larger audience of thousands instead of a few hundred. Now that would be the ultimate Local Support any city could give any local band. Be Proud to say that these guys are from here and tell people coming from out of town to check these guys out. Who knows, they maybe looking for someone to play in a wedding, or quince, or another outdoor event and they don't have a budget to get one of the big name bands. Then that's when we can charge what we charge. That's why we do and charge so low at these events, all we ask is for a fair cut, not thousands of dollars.

MARKETING, you being a business person should know what I'm talking about. A lot of us have a great product to market out there but without nowhere to show the audience, then when can we? I have played with many of the Big Bands and have recorded with Grammy Winners and Grammy nominated artists in the past, guess what they were ALL LOCAL BANDS AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. Who's to say that maybe one day one of us will be in that position and then what, are you still going to want us to play for pennies or not at all cuz we are "LOCAL". Remember I said Local means Locally based!! Do you not think Ruben Ramos, Ram Herrera, Elida Etc.. and countless others don't play in their hometowns countless times per Year in smaller venues and are still featured in their respective big hometown concerts with the marquee stating "Featuring San Antonio's Own, or Austin's Very own etc.. It doesn't make sense why we as a whole can't do the same.

Now as far as all of this $300 chatter, remember I used that as an example and wasn't singling out anybody it was meant to be just that, an example. I don't know what other bands charge and it's none of my business but for anyone to tell me well so and so charges $blah blah then that's when I say go and get so and so!! All I'm implying is to be fair to us because we are also working with you in a sense that we are not charging the full amount so someone who hasn't heard us will hire us for a wedding, quince, etc.. We have played in concerts that have payed us what we asked for and will continue doing that very same thing. And after each one, I was approached to play at a wedding, quince, and guess what they were people who have never seen us because they are from out of town or don't get to make it to our Local shows for some reason or another. And in turn I have kept a very healthy and friendly relationship with these promoters and help them also in as many ways that I can. What I'm trying to say is that it can work very well for both if us if we work it out right.

Thank you Rachel and everyone who has responded and voiced your opinion. I wish you much success in all of your endeavors and may God Bless You All!!!I will never have anything bad to say to you guys because in the end guess what???
WE ARE ALL TEJANOS AT HEART!!!!

Mucho Amor y Respecto,
Albert

Hey Albert, You know what it's about man! We might be locally based groups, but like we say No Pay - No Play. If you can't get at least 100 bucks a man, then chale. Even those 100 dollar days are long gone. I like the idea of having venues that feature locally based Tejano bands like you mentioned. Maybe get a WestTejas Tejano Band Network! Tejano Forever!