General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Thoughts....

Hey West Texas!!!

Heres a post I wrote on the Tejano Journal. Thought Id share my thoughts.

------------------------------------------------------

Hola Everyone!

Its nice to see theres some interesting topics being discussed on the Journal again. lol jk It was starting to get crazy. Its so awesome to see all the new up and coming artists hitting la odna. Being young myself, 26, it feels good to be a part of this much needed breath of fresh air. I was fortunate enough to come into the industry at the top with one of the best teachers a student could ask for, Little Joe. Ive learned more during the time Ive been on the road with Joe then the time I spent at Angelo State University studying music. Ive been blessed to learn from all the guys in La Familia. Im honored that I can call these great musicians, my friends and collegues. Working for Joe has made me want to strive to pursue a career in La Onda after my tenure with Joe is done and over with. Theres one lesson that will always stick with me that Ive learned from him, but Ill get to that later. lol (Hope yall dont mind the novel!)

There are so many names to mention when talking about the future of La Onda. A few of them you guys have already mentioned. AJ Castillo is an amazing musician and artist. Hes a very creative and artistic accordian player. I finally got to catch one of his shows and I was amazed at the demographics of his audience. Young and old! People from all walks of life. His music is hip. He had everyone dancing. His brother is also a good singer. These guys are going help take la onda get to the next level.

Then, of course, we have Gabriel. What is there to say about this guy?! Hes an awesome vocalist! His smooth vocals give the songs he sings a great deal of class and elegance that you dont see very often anymore. Being produced by one of the best producers in La Onda too. Gabriel and Bob Gallarza definitely make a great combination. Ive never met such a talented yet humble singer like him and Im glad Im able to call him a friend. Hes definitely here to stay and has only just gotten started.

Veronica Y Avance...... they are the fresh young faces we need in la onda. Ive seen them perform several times and they always put on a show! Definitely a fan favorite. They are full of energy, a showband. But most importantly they took the initiative. They are always at the major functions of our industry. They participate in forums, they help promote la onda. They will help take Tejano to the digital age. They even built their own recording studio and recorded their sophomore album there. (Which is good btw) But most importantly, they write their own material!

Los Matadors.....heres a group that I believe doesnt recieve the attention they deserve. Tania Castaneda is a very talented singer and her stage presence is always demanding. The musicians behind her are incredible. These kids are worthy of being called musicians. They always practice. Anthony Revilla, the band leader, is a top notch musico. Hes on his way to being a great producer himself. Heading up a band like that is challenging. Their show is very enjoyable and energetic. A fan favorite in West Texas. Id like to see them work more down South. They have alot to offer La Onda. Ive had the pleasure of working with them on my upcoming album. Ive known these guys since they first started Los Matadors and its so kool to see them grow into what they are today. Please request their music. They too also write their own material. Their freshman ablum was awesome! Pick it up if you havent already!

Ive had the honor and pleasure of working with this next young man. I first heard Juaquin Cura thanks to a DJ friend of mine. He was singing Cuatro Vidas, which was a hit for him. I really liked what I heard and contacted them that same day. I invited him to be a part of my album, they agreed, and the rest is history as they say. Now, Im producing his very first album. Its really kool to see a 16yo kid take such an interest to la onda. He really tripped me out when he told me he wanted to work with horns. Found out hes an old school lover just like me. This kid is an awesome musician. His guitar and bass playing skills are out of this world considering hes had no formal training, other than being taught by his grandfather, Henry Salas. His older brother John is an equally talented guitar player. But what amazes me the most are Juaquin's vocal skills. His range, style, and natural vibrato are so advanced for a kid his age. Hes got so much soul and its definitely apparent in his new single from his upcoming album. The song was written by Arnold Cardenas and is titled, "Eternamente Mia." I will be sending out the single very soon as soon as we are done mixing. I know La Onda will embrace this kid when his time comes!

Another great and young band Ive had the pleasure and honor of working with is.........Tortilla Factory. I know I know, but you said young......theyve been around since the 70's lol That was the original. The new Tortilla is made up of guys my age and their musicianship is impeckable! Each and every musician in that band are monster musicians in my book. Some have attended Eastman School of Music and others at Texas State University. They are being guided and directed by Ham. He too is a great teacher and a very well established musician. They have a bright future ahead of them!

Natajja Gomez.......I just recently met this young woman about two weeks ago. Shes working with my good friend Tony Gonzales. What an awesome, talented, and beautiful person she is. She is definitely an up and coming artist. She also has a single out "Cuatro Caminos" Request it if you havent heard already. Shes currently in Colorado working on her album with Tony G. along with some big name Tejano artists and musicians. Keep an eye out for it when it drops and expect to see alot of her in the very near future.

Another great up and coming artist is of course Mr. Old School himself, Mike Torres III, at the old age of 21! lol One of my good friends and co-producer for my album, Mike is musical monster! This guy can play almost every instrument we use in Tejano music except for the sax.....that I know of! He may prove me wrong! Hes a true one man band, very talented singer with a hellofa range, and a monster arranger. He has his own group called The Grooveland Chicano Band based there in San Antonio. He is definitely a character you will never forget. Hes more old school than the tv show CHIPS! complete with the shades, sideburns, shirt and boots. lol And his music reflects his personality. Mostly original material. I like to compare his voice to the Great Joe Jama. Mike will definitely keep the old school alive with a breath of fresh air in the years to come. I am very honored to call him my friend. Mike also has a single out called "Ya Me Olvide" which I had the pleasure to play, engineer, and mix on. Request it!!!!

There are so many names Im sure I left out. So many musicians coming up and making their way to the top. There is a plethera! We are everywhere. Its hard when our music isnt played by some stations or when we dont get the promotion. The future of La Onda Chicana is ready to make its grand entrance but it still feels like some dont want to let that happen just quite yet. Well keep trying, until then, it will be like a sleepin giant. I know there is a young, smart, DARING promoter out there. Someone needs to take the chance and put these young people together on stage for an amazing show. There would be no "headliner" just a showcase of the future. We understand that we are not Little Joe, Ruben Ramos, Selena, Latin Breed, Bob Gallarza, Jay Perez, Steve Jordan, etc......that was the lesson I learned from Joe. He kept telling me "You are not, Lonnie Llane, Charlie Mcburny,Ham,Bob Gallarza etc. (the great trumpeters and producers hes had).....He said you are YOU! John Ontiveros....the one and only. That made me feel awesome. I think some of the problems today with new talent is that they feel like they have to follow in the shadow of these great artists and musicians. Like they have to strive to be as good as them.....which is not a bad thing. But the bigger picture is, what can you do to leave your mark on la onda....like they did. Thats the true challenge. I know for a fact this new crop is more than capable of not only keeping la onda alive but taking it to the next level.

Thats one of the greatest lessons anyone can learn. So I say...thanks Boss for pushing me harder! You are creating a monster! lol just kidding. I myself have alot to learn still. Much more practicing to do. Im not the greatest trumpet player this onda has heard but I like to think I can hold my own. Anybody can call themselves a Producer, Arranger, Composer....all ya got to do is change a few notes and riffs around....but its more than that. I hope to be a good producer some day too. Im thankful to Juaquin and Mike for letting take a crack at it. Thats why I wanted to do my own album. (which will be done soon) But most importantly, I wanted to bring all this young talent together and brainstorm and put it on disk....no longer tape lol. So I challenge that lone ranger promoter out there, whomever he or she is....take a chance and put a show together with these young people. Showcase these young folks to la raza. They deserve to hear them. I think one of the main poisons ffecting la onda is la envidia. What I have learned while working with some these young kats is, they love...no strive on competition but most importantly they want to work together. They learn from eachother. We always kid around how we would like to one day travel in one or two buses around the country all playing together, living together, experiencing together. We dont see that today, not anymore. They understand they are strong as an individual entity, but they are the strongest when toghether....if that makes sense.

I cant complain....Im happy where Im at....for now. But I know the day will come when I have to head my own ship. I hope things will be better when that time comes. Till then Ill keep working to help out the future of our great culture. Again, sorry for the novel lol. I usually never post on the journal but Ive had alot on my mind lately. Thanks to those of you who actually read this!

God bless Tejano Music and its fans! Dont forget to check out the Little Joe Picnic on July 4th! Many great bands performing........My favorite The Latin Breed, WAR, Vida, Oscar from La Mafia, and many more!!! Its gunna be hott!

Tu Amigo,

John Ontiveros
West Texas Chicano Orquesta
LOS HOT HORNS! Entertainment

P.S. If anybody is interested in the singles by, Juaquin, Mike Torres III, or The WTCO, please email me at john030327@yahoo.com or give me a call @ 432.816.5231.

Re: My Thoughts....

John that was a very good and positive message you posted. I think that Los Matadors are on the right track. They do work very hard on sounding better. They always sound better every time I hear them. So that means they practice. I just hope they don't get discouraged and break up, and they will get to where they want to be. Peace.

John I would like to first say, Great Post. Yes it was very positive and I think everyone does need to be supportive. Here lately it "seems" as if there is just a bunch of negative going on. That is and could be the biggest thing that holds everyone/everything back. So many young tejano artist are on the rise and that's what will keep La Onda going. The Legends will always be Legends and the Well Known will always be Well Known. Everyone has to start at some point just like they did themselves. It's all about being at the right place at the right time and it'll come. Keep truckin' young artist, do your thing and it will come. I support ya! All the artist you mentioned John, I've gotten the pleasure of either catching their show or hearing their singles. I agree, great things are to come for La Onda! Que Viva La Onda

John,
It was great to get insight from someone who is in the middle of the Tejano music scene. We,who are fans,and know what or who we like to hear, have a different perspective from someone who is doing it for a living. You were "bragging" about the quality of these new and young musicians in the industry today, I completely agree. But, I have also seen all the good work and dedication that YOU do.I have taken many pictures of you and you have always been very gracious and respectful in taking time to do that.I have even been accused of being your "personal" photographer ! For this I thank you. It's musicians like you that don't run and hide behind security or retreat to your bus after a show, but instead, come out into the crowds and listen to the other bands perform and mingle with the fans. If I was a young musician,and saw someone like you, standing there listening to my music, it would inspire me to try and do my best. That is how Tejano will survive in the years to come, with encourgement from fellow musicans and fans alike.
I know that YOUR time will come...when you will be considered a leader in the industry, like Little Joe is now. I wish you the best of luck and hope that I'm still around, taking your picture, when that happens !!