General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An Interview with John Ontiveros

Saw this interview by Cchwnn (Blanca Blanch Blanco) and thought I would share it with you all. John hope you don't mind me Copying/Pasting it here from the Journal.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exclusive interview con John Ontiveros : WEST TEXAS CHICANO ORQUESTA 2010.
Cchwnn.
Big Spring, Tx. Hello again I am Blanca Blanch Blanco on the road again headed to West Texas to meet up with, check this out Grammy award winner Trumpet Player John Ontiveros. What bring us to West Texas is Mr. Ontiveros’s new project and his brainchild idea of bring together very talented musicians and help establish the West Texas Chicano Orquesta. But enough of that and let’s get to that darn interview.

BBB: we want to thank you again John for giving us time to do this interview way over here in Big Spring, Texas. And by the way si, it’s heck of a long walk from Kingsville?

John: HA HA I can imagine! You should of took the Greyhound. lol

BBB: first of John, tell us about this Grammy award you have won?

John: Well, Ive been very blessed to debut my trumpeting to La Onda with the one and only King Of The Brown Sound, Little Joe & La Familia. Being one of the top groups in the industry, Ive been able to learn from the best. La Familia is one of the toughest bands around!
The Grammy was a hugh blessing from the man upstairs. My very first recording with La Familia, "Before the Next Teardrop Falls", won the Grammy in 2007 for Best Tejano Album. It was such a great feeling to win the most prestigious award that a musician can win. We recorded the album in less than three days! I was writing horn parts at the studio while the guys were recording the rhythm section. The album is not your typical Little Joe cd, but it showcased the versatility of the band.

BBB; you know John, one would have not realize that there is some many talented musicians out here in West Texas, which leads up to my next question sir, The West Texas Chicano Orquesta? I understand that you are the Brainchild behind this project?

John: West Texas is very fruitful when it comes to bearing great musicians. You can trace many of La Onda's top musicians' roots back to good ol West Texas. For instance, the great Tortilla Factory was formed in San Angelo, Tx (many who where the original La Familia)
West Texas has always been fortunate to have great musicians and bands here. My first Tejano band, Xtremo, was based in my home town of Big Spring. We were a great group! We were a hit when we played fan fair in San Anto. Another great group I played for was Albert Garcia and the Puro Tejano Showband out of Midland Texas.
But, one of the biggest problems West Texas has is that there is no outlet for these great musicians to get noticed! Thats why alot of times musicians from the area have to relocate in order to find work.....well at least those who wish to make a career out of it.
I have lots of friends here in WT and there are alot of young inspired musicos trying to make it big and they have ALOT to offer La Onda. Thats when I decided to put together a massive group that would showcase these musicians, The West Texas Chicano Orquesta. Through this group, my hope was give these musicos the chance to get noticed and help them further their carreers if possible. The beauty of this group, which separates us from everyone else, is the fact the most of these musicians and artists are under 25! And there are over 20 people involved in the project.

BBB: I guess John the beauty of this group like you mention before is that the majority of the musicians are under the age of 25. How difficult is it to work con such a young group compared to working with more seasonal musicians?

John: You know, it isnt difficult at all! Its refreshing to here new ideas. These minds are fresh and are just waiting to get their ideas out. 90% of the group have had some type of musical education which makes it easy to get these ideas out and understood. Some may say that Im crazy to stick a bunch of young teens and 20 somethings in a studio and let them have at it, but thats exactly what I did. In a sense, Little Joe did the same thing when he decided to hire a bunch of college kids as his horn section.......
Let me tell you about the groups involved in the project. One of the first vocalist I contacted about the project was my good friend Albert Garcia. As I mentioned before, I used to play with his group. Albert is the oldest (37), but very talented persons involved with the WTCO. He is the singer on the very first single the WTCO put out, "Que Me Fucilen".
This next group is a young and hip band out of Midland Tx, Los Matadors. I love these kids energy when they play their instruments. Their ideas are fresh! Tania Castaneda is the vocalist for the group. Its also safe to say shes the best looking out of all us too! lol Her stage presence is demanding and her voice is angelic. The age range in the band is 18-21 and there are six of them!
Juaquin Cura from Los Curitas is another gentleman working with me on the project. Hes 16 years old. Hes also an exception. Hes originally from Fort Collins Colorado. When I first heard this kid sing, I just had to have him on the project. He sang his version of Cuatro Vidas featuring the Orquesta complete with 13 horns! Just like the old big bands! But very modern....... This kid has got an amazing voice and he is also a very talented guitar player.
One of the biggest part of the WTCO is my co producer and good friend Mike Torres III. Hes not from West Texas either but rather way of Stockton Califas. I met him when we toured Northern Califas with Joe. He is an amazing musician all around. He plays everything has a monstrous voice. He is also a very talented arranger. His ideas are very unique (which is very appearent in our version of Las Nubes....) Mike is 21.

BBB: I also understand that the band is working real hard in the recording studio preparing an album entitled, Pegando Pesado, can you share the concept and the dream behind this endeavor?

John: We are currently trying to finish up our first album. My co producer Mike Torres III has been out of town visiting familia and I have been busy with Joe. The album is in post production so we hope to have it out very soon.
I came up with the name, Pegando Pesado, because I wanted La Onda to know that the younger generation of Chicanos are hitting it hard so to speak, keeping our beautiful music alive! When you hear the tracks, it is very hard to believe that the musicians playing are just kids! It sounds like a bunch of veteranos!
This album will show that we are here to make our mark on the industry. Collaboration is key! There are no rooms for egos and tempers, only creativity and the love to perform. Thats what we are about.
Im very to fortunate to work with all the musicians that I have played with in the past. All the horn players on the album are old college buddies of mine that I have had the pleasure to share the stage with at one time or another. This album is like a big reunion. lol

BBB: it’s very impressive and it’s good to know that the big band era is on its way back and surely raising the bar for future tejano musicians en la onda. John while we have conducted many interviews we always ask if given the opportunity to speak to a group of young people what encouraging words would you say?

John: I would tell them to strive for the best! Anything is possible. Who would of thought that a young trumpet player from Big Spring Texas would one day be a Grammy Award Winner playing for a Musical Icon?! Set your goals high and never settle for good enough.
The big band era is on its way back for sure! I miss seeing the big horn bands. But we are bringing them back. We are the future of La Onda Chicana!

BBB: well John this has been one of many exciting interview that we have done and we want to thank you again , is there any last words you would want to share with the thousands of tejano fans you have touched in your life with your music?

JOHN: Id like to thank all of them for supporting Tejano music. You, the fans, give us, the musicians, the ganas to perform to the best of our abilties! Support your childeren in any art they choose to do, rather its music, choir, art, or sports. My parents support me 110% and I could not do what I do today if it wasnt for them.
Support your local talent as well because even though they are just local.......think about this.......Little Joe was once a local act, so was Jay Perez, The Latin Breed, Laura Canales...etc.
Buy your favorite artists latest CDs. Go to the shows! Love....no live our beloved culture! We are CHICANOS! Be proud!

BBB: besides your present project, is there any other projects that you might be working on?

John: Besides the WTCO album, Im also producing Juaquin Curas debut album. Hes a horn lover and his album will definitely be a breath of fresh air. Im also working on Mike Torres' debut album. It will be new school for the old school! Other future projects include Rudy Torres of Mi Tequila, Tobias Rene, Natajja Gomez and many more!
My biggest homework right now is a project Im doin with Little Joe. I cant officially say its a reunion of Los Tres Amigos (Ruben Ramos, Little Joe, and Roberto Pulido) but it looks like thats what its shaping up to be! Keeps your ears open!!!!

BBB: thank you John .

John: Thank you Blanca! I hope this interview gave an insight. Thanks for the great opportunity! I hope we get to do it again! Let me give you a ride to the bus station......LOL lets stop for some tacos first! :)

BBB: As we prepare to walk back to Kingsville, Texas, it’s not every day we get to chat with a Grammy Award winner. And as we leave West Texas, we leave believing and assuring ourselves que la onda tejana is in good hands here. I am Blanca Blanch Blanco.