General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What distinguishes a Tejano award winner?

It has been awhile since I have checked the forum on this site. Read one about the Matadors singer being nominated and how to vote for her. Which lead me to ponder on this event. Has this award turned into an contest where people can vote for your singer just because he or she is from your part of the state. No offense to this young lady but what is this award really going to mean to her. Is it popularity, talent or kindness by her neighbors that will distinguish this award. Are all awards given in this mannor at the award event?? Whether she wins or not, I hope this doesn't change a musicians direction from improving in his/her talent in making music. I have seen different competitions that are based on voting from people in their community. How many times has the most talented singer not won on American Idol?? This is also happening in cheerleading tryouts for some of the professional sport teams.
I strongly feel like this omits the true reason for one winning. I would personally question whether it was my talent that got me the award or not with this process. And the Music out there is changing or trying to go to far to the left for my taste with some of these tejano artist. AJ Castillo, I just can't get into. His video for his first single just really pushed me away. Why does he need two girls kissing in it??? I was recently in Austin and caught Tortilla Factory on the news show. They started playing and the singer just went into some sudo rap thing for about 3 or so minutes. Is this tejano?? If not and this is the genre you are persuing, then don't distinguish yourself as a tejano artist or group. Or am I confused about the whole Tejano scene and the definition of it?? (****, am i getting old!!!)
I don't want to rustle any feathers. I am just trying to state constructive criticism not destructive.

Re: What distinguishes a Tejano award winner?

The awards are given through talent, hard work, and dedication. I'm no representative for TTMA and I certainly don't have the correct answers, only an opinion. Sure I know I pushed to try to get people to vote for Tania and Danny. Not everyone did whom I mentioned it to by the way, but being from the area, making it aware to those that don't know that the voting process was now open. Informing the fans. Now that's their choice to vote for their "Favorites" or who they believe is the most talented. Now for the "Best NEW artist" as Tania and others have shown, they are working hard for there groups and could/would perform for their fans for the Love of the music. The award is a dream every artist dreams about and is icing on the cake. Remember, only my opinion and they will have to speak for themselves. AJ Castillo is a young artist that is bringing in the younger generations, keeping Tejano Music alive. The Louis Vuitton and style he brings is that of younger generation. It's all about presentation to some and the music catches on later. Tortilla Factory I've only read through Tony "Ham" Guerrero and he is calling it "Urban Tejano". To be honest, I'm not sure what that means and I haven't caught a show of Tortilla. Defintion of Tejano, I believe you will get many different answers. It's what you make of it, a culture and tradition. The style of the music and how it relates to you, your family, and your surroundings.

Support Tejano Music ~ Making it's way back to West Texas!

Confused Tejano,
You bring up some very good points or questions,to which there is probably not a right or wrong answer. I would offer the opinion that ALL these awards given to individuals, music, sports, etc., are "popularity" based.They are based on what each voter personally likes.If you don't care for AJ Castillo or his music, you would probably not vote for him...regardless of where he or you lived. And that's OK...that is also why there is more than one voter, to try and get a wider range of likes and dislikes. When a singer/player wins an award, does he think, "wow, all my friends "stuffed" the ballot box, I must be good !". I think they look back on all the long hours of practicing and paying their dues thru the years to get to this point. But, still there are some people who didn't vote for them...that's just life.
I think that as far as Tejano music is concerned, there is a reason why Little Joe, Ruben Ramos, DLG, Mafia, Latin Breed,etc. have been around for so many years...people's taste in music is hard to change. People are "comfortable" with these groups and support them. New artist like AJ Castillo,Los Matadors,etc. are competing against peoples taste in music, not other artist, per say. Artist who come out with a living on the edge type videos, sometimes can back fire on their fan base.
All I can say is enjoy what you like...and let all others do the same !

DJ Jaime, thank you for your reply and clarity on this subject. I understand the accept your opinion of the definition of the word Tejano Music. You did bring up some good points. "Urban Tejano"?????? Hmmm, it just sounded like rap to me with a 70's funk feel to it. I guess the beat and feel distinguishes what they want to call it. Rap with a reggae drum groove is called Reggaeton. But his defense, if it is called urban tejano, i know that it is going to be something different and I will not be surprised.
As for the awards, well I wish they just did away with it. If someone isn't nominated, does that mean that he/she didn't work as hard as the nominees?? You see where I'm going with it. My opinion too. I don't like it but who am I?? Nothing is going to change i am just stating what and how I feel about the matter. Music is music. There is some bad stuff out there and great stuff out there. I guess it is up to each individual to distinguish what they like or don't like. The only thing I state is, don't hate on the guy that doesnt like your music. As long as the critique is constructive. And same for the the guy that does like the music. (hope that made sense) I have read some post where people get ridiculed for stating their opinion about certain bands/singers and songs. Again, keep it constructive. Not personal.
DJ Jaime, thank you for your words and opinion. I appreciate the fact that you were very positive and controlled about this manner.

Chito, thanks for your imput as well. I had trouble posting my reply to DJ, when it did post you had just posted a reply also. That is why there was nothing in my reply about your post.

Confused Tejano,

Just wanted to answer your question in regards to how a person is chosen to be a Tejano Award Winner.
An e-mail is sent out by the TTMA to artist, promoters, record labels, managers ext. This e-mail allows everyone to throw a name into the bucket for who they believe should be nominated for a certain category. Once this list of nominees is generated the list is sent out to the same group of people and they vote for their fav. out of each category. Once this list is brought down to a smaller number of nominees, it is put onto the TTMA website for the fans to vote. This gives the chance for not only the industry to vote for who they believe is deserving of the award, but it gives the fans their fair chance to vote as well.
I can understand your points in regards to it turning into a popularity contest and what not. And yes, it is discouraging to artist who are not chosen becuase they do not feel that they are good enough to make a ballot. I can say this becuase I experienced it in the past years when our name was not on the ballot. But it has been a blessing this year to know that we are doing something right becuase of the nomination I recieved. The process does not leave anyone out.Not only do the fans vote but the peers of the artist get to vote as well. EVERYONE votes. As far as who wins the top spot...HA! I wish I knew that answer! I am actually going to be on a panel tomorrow morning at the Tejano Convention. So if you have any questions regarding our industry I will make sure that your questions get answered. I think everyone has wonderful questions and should have the right to know what is going on inside of our industry. I will try to get the final "unanswered" question for you Confused Tejano. It would be interesting to know what is the outcome of it! Take Care and God Bless!

Tania Castaneda/Los Matadors
"Keeping Tejano Alive!"

Confused Tejano,

I forgot to answer one question. You asked what it would mean to me if I won the award.

It would mean that all of the dreaming, singing, praying, crying and hard work I have put into my career is paying off. I could care less if I was popular. I was actually the most unpopular girl in school. Made fun of and thrown around. One of the those nerdy girls lol. It would mean to me that people are really appreciating what me and my band are doing for our Onda which is "Keepint Tejano Alive!" It would only fuel my fire to do what I can for my people!!

Tania Castaneda

Ok, I understand now how it works. Tania, thanks for the clarity. Win or lose, who cares. Just focus on the music. Let the product speak for itself. Continue striving for the best sound and arrangement and mix. Like they say, "Go for Gold". In album sales that is. That is where it really counts as far as ones music, financial aspect of the endeavor and the true meaning of a "BAND".

Thanks Confused Tejano! I will always keep doing my thing rain or shine, rich or poor. My music is my love and my life and that is all its about at the end of the day! ;-)

Take Care!

Tania Castaneda