General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big Bands - No PA systems!!

Why is it that when a big band comes to town they are always looking for musicians and a PA system? If they are that big and great why do they have trouble keeping musicians and can not afford a PA system. I always hear they are looking the week before the dance. I just don't understand.

Re: Big Bands - No PA systems!!

I think it has to do with just not making enough to pay extra hands as far as roadie's and their expense. Equipment owner's are jumping into it. I think it's a business thing that's all.

I can see what you are saying but it is hard to believe they don't make enough. We have called big bands for functions and they want lots of money. Thanks for your reply.

oh, I'm not saying they make enough.
it's just more for their pocket, I guess.
noticed your topic and this one is a good one.
need to have more topics like these in here instead of talking and hating people that no one knows.
so thank you for posting
i'll think of one later on.

Later

Very good topic and I do agree about the negativity. Gets tired and old. When you call bands for private functions, they tend to charge a greater amount because it's a private event and a PA system will need to be hauled. Although when they do concerts, it's cheaper to hire a band if they do not have to bring a PA system due to extra gas expense or even their bus at times. Also, the "house" band that provides the system for others to use, they get a lil bit more due to everyone else using it and they having to be there to run it. Tejano bands these days don't get paid top dollar and it's cheaper for them at times to not even haul a system around. If they can get booked for the weekend and not have to bring a bus and trailor, it is less expense but get paid a lil bit less at same time but maybe more in their pocket. If that makes any sense.

The bottom line is cost. When a band big, small,local,or top recording artist travels they have to consider the cost involved in carring a PA system. 1st there is the additional vehicle to carry the system,gas wear and tear. 2nd you need a sound man,plus a work crew.(They are not cheap)3rd What if something fries like a speaker, power amp,board. That is a big cost to repair. I've been there many times.
The 4th thing is that the promoters,clubs, or even people that hire these groups can not pay like they used to. So in order to make a few bucks here and there . you have to make a sacrifice here and there.

As far as looking for players at the last minute, well that this something all bands are doing now a days, even the locals. The Entertainment business is not like it used to be. Most people think that bands make alot of money. That's not true, ask anyone that does this for a living. When ever you hire of a band consider all the cost involved in get the job done.Now if the band sucks big time maybe that band should not be in the circuit.

I hope the explains some of your concerns, there is much more involved in running a show,band,dj,dancers...

Please hire locals,they have systems and are cheaper. lol!

Tony

DJ Jaime you are absolutely right regarding bands. I will give you a good example I tried to book DLG for Mex-Tex and he wanted $15k for a 90 min. set; I tried negotiating but the lowest he would go is $12k. Little Joe wanted $18k for the same amount of time and that is with us providing the PA, plus hotel rooms, food and beverages. These amounts are outrages for a non-profit organization, plus these kinds of fees means higher ticket prices, which is something we try to avoid.

Hey Guys!

This is a great topic!!!

It all comes down to the artist's overhead cost i.e. room and board, food, emergencies....you name it the list can go on....bottom line alot of bands "pay to play" which is completly backwards. Right?! The artist is providing a service for the purchaser and the artist ends up paying at the end....our industry is completly turned around right now and a lot of us are hurting!

Most headliners usually never travel with a PA System to cut costs on gas and transportation. Its easier that way and makes more sense money wise.....PA systems are considered an expense. An expense that the purchaser has the choice of picking up..... if they opt out of providing a PA then the price for the show will obviously go up in order for the artist to cover their end. Remember with out a PA, the show becomes an "unplugged" show and those usually are not fun to dance to! lol

If the artist must provide a PA, they usually call a sound company from around the area to once again cut costs......no sense in doing a show in West Texas and having a PA system come from Houston! But alot of times it can be difficult to find a sound company who is available or "up to par". Remember that the PA is there to amplify the show.....its a reflection of the artist....if the sound company doesnt do their job correctly, the sound sucks and it effects the artist's performance and the audience's experience. Thats why artists are picky with who is running sound and thats why they are not quick in hirning just anybody.....hence why there is a delay sometimes in finding a system last minute!

As for some big artists charging so much......once again the artist is there to provide a service! Its what we do for a living.....not a hobby....but a career.....we too have to pay bills and our employees need to get paid. IM IN NO WAY SPEAKING FOR LITTLE JOE but speaking on behalf of what Ive learned being in the business....... You cant tell me that Hanna Montana charges $18,000 for a 90 min set! Or how about Justin Beiber or Usher......Lady Gaga.....or George Straight?! Why should our artists be any different then these artists? Thats why our industry is backwards! We treat our artists like they are just any other local band looking for a gig! Sure when you compare A Tejano Artst's, like Little Joe or Ruben Ramos, record sales to lets say George Straight or Justin Beiber's, of course there will be a huge difference! But why? Our industry has gone down significantly because we treat our artist like wanna be rock stars who are just looking for work.......I guess it all comes down to supply and demand......we need to start demanding again! I guess if you want cheap then you pay for cheap! You get what you pay for...... These are real recording artists just like Mr Straight and Mr Beiber.....not local garage bands.

Why is it that a band from Mexico can charge $50 to $75 a ticket for a show and its completly sold out?! Yet a tejano artist comes in and does a show at $20 at the door and people complain and not show up?.......WE do shows in California and people pay $100 to see the a 90 min show and its sold out!!!! yet come back to Texas and play a show for $20 and its no way compared to Califas!.......SUPPLY and DEMAND!

Anybody would want a top artist to perform at a show but if you want the best.....you have to pay for the best and there are times when we cant affford the best. Its like saying......We would all love to drive a LEXUS or MERCEDES but sometimes we can only afford a FORD or CHEVY! The LEXUS dealer is not going to come down on the price of the car and diminish the value of the car.....same thing happened in our industry....many of our top artist began to lower the price of a show and it lowered the value of the artist...... I know times are rough but the price of a LEXUS will always be higher than a FORD...... nothing against FORD! haha When it all comes down to it.....A car is a Car! haha

I hope i dont offend anyone by this post....but i thought it would be nice to hear from somebody on the other side of the biz......

Id love to take this conversation further if anybody has any questions! 432.816.5231

Please support your local artists and ofcourse your favorite Tejano Stars!

Buy our music and get on the dance floor!!!!

Chicano music lives in WEST TEXAS!!!

John Ontiveros
LOS HOT HORNS! Entertainment

Thank for your comment Sir,
Yes it does come to cost, but I can’t believe rooms and food should come to play on the customer’s expense. There are Hotels rooms with kings size beds and can room 4 people comfortably at an affordable price and how much does it cost to eat? As far as emergencies, that itself should not be put on the customer. If you are implying that it’s added to the contract.
You say the list goes on. Wouldn’t mind to see the list to see what’s put on to the customer, but it is a business to the artist and they need to pay their musicians, but from the price they are charging additional charges in my opinion shouldn’t be added.
As for PA system, yes the artist needs to sound their best but 15k/18k that should be more than enough to use their system.
Tejano fans go to dances to see Tejano artist/bands because they are in the area. We might not pack the ballrooms but we go to support that’s in town and to compare Califa’s to small West Texas Town’s, there’s no comparison with Califa’s population.
In another note, Tejano is not in demand as Norteno that’s why they play for the amount they ask for and if you notice the demand for Norteno in the basin is high. As for English artist as you mentioned. Well, the fan population is higher than Tejano, its nation and international and it has to do with the age population not just because the young population is of Hispanic means they listen to Tejano, They listen to Hip Hop more than Tejano. I’ve also noticed young Hispanic adults are adapting to Norteno as well because it’s what is playing on the radio or that’s what’s in. I guess they haven’t discovered internet radio, but they sure discovered do Face Book…ha ha (a joke).
Tejano Artist isn’t any different as you mentioned, but the population is not there like the English top artist.
What I’m trying to say after I vented my opinion ha ha, is that no matter if you’re the older professional musician, The demand for those artists, our young generation is not there, but for the new young artist that are coming out they will be the ones to turn the table around and it’s not just up to them it’s has to do with radio playing and of course playing Tejano music in homes and family gathering in the back yard. Play it loud so the young generation can listen to what is out there and what is their culture as a Tejano. You have them listening to Tejano and then you’ll see the Supply and Demand.
Thanks for your post.
I know the topic was simple, but you did throw out a curve and well like I said. It’s a good topic.
More to come….lol
Thanks TV for the post page.