General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TEJANO AIN'T DEAD BABY!

I’ve been M.I.A. here lately and I know you haven’t seen me out at the live shows too. I’ve been sick with back problems and other things, but I’m finally feeling a lot better.

I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about all the events here in Midland. I was very excited to see Rene Serrata this past Saturday but I was too sick to go. Any reviews on Los Lonely Boys? Haven’t heard anything?

Anyway, just a quick response to some of the issues:

TEJANOVIBES IS HERE TO PLAY TEJANO, NOT POLITICS. We have fully supported Tejano music for many years, even before we started Tejano on KOZA. For those unaware, when TejanoVibes was on KOZA we were actually PAYING RENT to play Tejano music. With its quick popularity, Benjamin Velasquez (the GM) flipped the station to full time Tejano and started selling advertisements with us still there paying rent. I started feeling robbed and taken by the way he was handling things. After a conversation with him, we shook hands, and I walked away. A Mr. Jake Orona chose to start a show there too and kept paying rent, naming his show Mi Tejano…of course with Mr Velasquez in full control Mi Tejano didn’t last.

Mr. Velasquez and I are still in good talking terms and our last recent phone conversation we had, he said the station was not making him any money and might make some changes in the near future. He always told me “its not personal…it’s just business”. Its sad.

In my thoughts, it takes a true Tejano to run a Tejano station and I feel sadden that it’s all about the money, which of course is understandable…but you aren’t going to make MONEY in Tejano if you don’t know TEJANO.

But anyway, we don’t have beef with KOZA or the DJs there. For one, DJ Ben-jammin’ is a friend and a true Tejano, and we support him. Unfortunately, I hardly listen to 1230am because I get more status than music here in Midland.

On a different note: TejanoVibes has some changes and surprises for you this spring and summer. Also, I’m working with Rachel Stone (MHCC) on this year’s Mex-Tex Family Fiesta too. The line-up we are discussing is going to be even better than last year…I’ll tell you that right now.

Okay, my coffee cup is empty. Need a refill. More talk later, later….but not right now, right now.

Re: TEJANO AIN'T DEAD BABY!

The concert with Los Lonely Boys was dead! From what I seen there must of been like 150 people. It's a shame cause these are the same GROUP that did the New Years Dance with Roger Velasquez and The Latin Legends and that didn't go too well either! All I know is that Tejanovibes need to save us from all of these NON-SENSE concerts! They had good names bands but all gone down the drain......HOW EMBARRASING

Re: TEJANO AIN'T DEAD BABY!

Bull's Dawg, you serious? Que gacho.