THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Old Bridge,Morriston

Salem is in Nixon Terrace, Morriston. I was born and brought up within 50 yards of Salem.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have enjoyed your website,especially the photos of Morriston past and present.I was glad to be in Wales at Christmas but was unable to get an answer to the question"where is(or was) Salem Sunday School,Old Bridge?The name of this chapel is written in the front of my grandmother's bible in 1897 as she left Morriston for Ohio.If anyone has heard of Old Bridge please let me know.I'm looking forward to returning to Wales as soon as I can!Thank you so much.

Sally Lewis Roof

Re: Re: Old Bridge,Morriston

HI, Ken is quite right I think there were two chapels in old bridge one near the railway undertunnel on the right just pass the first row of cottages [not 100%] and one about threequarters of the way down on the right and of course the tin buildig or the Gospel Hall rigt at the bottom, my grandparents lived in 27, Tirpendry St, the last house in the terrace on the left and I was allways playing down near the railway and canal and into old bridge/ Nixon Terrace,seen many a fine Great Western Loco from the old canal bridge, you could allmost touch them , all the best D.h.

I live across the road from the old ticket office on clase road next to the chapel

Hi,Jason, nice to see someone who lives in Morriston taking intrest and would love to see some recent photos,I have recently been left some lovely photographs of the two railway lines that ran through Morriston,from 1,Pentrefelin Halt [6 photos in all including 3 of the large signal box there][just down the lane virtually opposite the Midland Hotel[Have given the landlady Teresa a copy for the lounge]a lovely photo of including a shot of the coalyard behind todays fire station and one of the pedestrian bridge crossing three quarter way up Tirpenry St,just opposite the old Tirpenry Arms,and half a dozen of the station and platforms looking both up towards Clydach and down towards Swansea,a lovely photo of Globe street bridge,Copper pit Halt now buried under the roundabout near the Swan public House,you are more than welcome to have a look at these,will not be putting them on the net as there are people out there who will copy them and I fear in the future will be putting together a publication of old Morriston photos,and most likely putting them into a future book and making a fortune,2 Midland railway,was near todays Asda,have 3 photos of Morriston East as well,if interested give me a ring,P.S,any body out there remember Dai Sarnu fish and chip shop in Waun Road,Morriston, been looking for a photo or any one with memories of that well loved shop?

Hi Jason,
Did someone purchase the Salem Sunday School chapel in Nixon Terrace and make it a single family home?
I would like a photograph if anyone is in the area and could post one.

Thank you!

Sally Lewis Roof
Dayton, Ohio

Hi Dursley

That took me back the mention of Dai Sarnu(Sanner) on Waun Road. I do not remember his fish and chip shop being open but he continued to sell pop for years after ( Collins brand if I remember right).

He did not seem to have electric lighting as he always came to the door with a candle or a torch to light his way into the shop ,which still had all the frying equipment in, to find the crates of pop. His dandelion & burdock was the best!

I think he may have lived with a sister. They seemed to just use the back room and did not have a TV but listened to what must have been the Home Service.

His "Finest Hour" for me was when one year the police were called in on 5 November evening to stop us having a bonfire( it was going to be our biggest ever!) on the dram road off Waun Road near to the allotments. When he found out Dai allowed us to relocate it to his back garden so that we were not too disappointed!

I lived on Waun Road and remember Dai Sannau (sp) very well indeed. Six pennorth of chip would feed a family and the shop was always crowded as he only had one chip pan working. It always fascinated me watching him cut the chips by hand. he was so dextrous and fast and did this whilst chatting with the customers.

Anyone heard of Conway Morgan - Dai's nephew who lived at the shop

My brother remembers Conway.

He mentioned something about a possible American connection.

did you know a Brenda tibbs she lived next door to Dai Sanau's chip shop on Waun Road and do you remember where the chippy was please reply thxs

On Waun Road to the left of the road leading to Maes y Gelenyn there was a row of four stone built terrace houses. The chip shop was the left of the four and Brenda lived next door to the right.

Re: Old Bridge,Morriston

I spent a lot of time in Old Bridge , my aunty lived there , and i used to go to the Gospel Hall

i remember Brenda Tibbs , she was in my class in Pentrepoeth school , if i remember rightly she had a younger sister Avril and an older sister Dorothy , i think she had a brother too