THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GLYNCOLLEN WOODS

I'VE FOUND OUT A BIT MORE INFO REGARDING THESE WOODS.APPARENTLY A DR.JONES AND LATER A CAPTAIN SID USED TO LIVE THERE.I'D STILL LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS HOUSE AND IF THERE ARE ANY PHOTOGRAPHS.

Re: GLYNCOLLEN WOODS

Hello. I really want to know more about these woods too, I cant find anything. My friends are interested too. If I could get a picture of what it looks like that would be great. If you have any more info could you please email me! Thank-you!

Hi there, I presently live in Cyprus, but in the late 1940,s and 50's my father used to take me up to the woods. We lived on Llanllienwen Road at the time, and there was a lane which passed through Thomas' farm. Just passed the farm there was a large duck pond and a gate which accessed another lane to the "second farm".

Just passed the "second farm" there was a set of iron railings with laurel trees inside. This I seemed to remember was in Glyncollen Woods, and the house was owned by Capt. Syd. The leaves on the laurel trees were aromatic, and we would snap them and enjoy the perfume.

Just passed Capt. Syds, the road split into two. The left track went up the mountain, and drifted down into Ynystawe, the right track headed down to the bottom of Llanllienwen road, and came out between the old quarry, and Darlings shop.

I loved the area, and as a child played there constantly. It was all woods and open fields then, just right for a child. Best wishes, Alun Osborne.

Hi, I CONCUR WIYH ALAN OSBORNE he and I were in juniorschool together, [how are you Alan] there were three farms allong the track that ran from near the junction from heo y deri, the first was owned by a mr/mrs thomas, they used to have a small farm shop, selling veg and fresh milk from thier own herd,the second farm of which I have a photo its a long distance shot, was occupied by Dai Davies and his wife Ruby, he is known as Dai the Lan, quite a character, there were a number of fires there i n late 50/ early 60s, allways near xmas, they breedturkeys and pigs,further along the lane was the wall of Glyncollen House which was starting do fall down , you could climb up and look into the orchard there were the remains of a large Victorian greenhouse the pathway split at the far end and went down to Lodge just up from Dallings,the lane was cut when the M4 went through in 1972,the top lane which is now part of WHEATSHEAF DRIVE continued through a turnstile gate at the end of Harebell Close, and ran past the third farm [dont know name of farmer] and ran into lane oppisite lower end of Players Woods, and down into Bryn tawe Road, its still there today but overgrown, the remains or the cellars are to be seen behind the first bungalow after the copse of trees at the Ynystawe end of Wheatsheaf Drive, there also remains a portion of the original wall the top stones are familiar to walls of other houses in Morriston the old British Legion,[sadly gone,] and Dunbar house the ruin at the far end of Glantawe ST. they were hewn from rocks on one of the Gower beaches I was told this from an old Morriston stonemason, I wonder if Alun Osborne remembers going as juniors in C.R.C., School on nature walks/ rambles along the lane with Miss Webber and Fanny Haines[ she could shout] I have heard there is a photograph of the house in a book and wiill know more shortly, if you want to take alook at the photo Ihave of the second farm give me aring on 01792 310693 I hope this has not been long winded and not to boring ,All the best Dursley Hanford,P.S. I did try a few days ago to supply this forum with help with this request but as I am fairly new to computing I must have done something wrong