THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pub Pictures

Hello there.

I am looking for pictures of two Public houses in Morriston or at least former Public Houses.

Does anyone remember the "Dillwyn Arms"? I think it was renamed "The Duke" but I'm not sure, I also believe it was opposite the British Legion Club in Glantawe Street.

Then there is "The Swan Inn" or "The Swan" which I believe was at the end of Glantawe Street or Market Street down towards the new Roundabout at the junction of Neath Road and ?Martin Street?

Anyways I'm looking for old photographs (As old as possible) of these two espablishments as they were once owned by ancestors of mine and I'm doing Family History research on this branch of my family.

Any help or links appreciated.

Thanks.

John Jones

Website http://www.twlc.biz/twlchomes/

Re: Pub Pictures

I haven't got any pictures for you but, I wonder if you could help me. I am tracing my family history and have my Grandmother's wedding certificate it shows that she was living at the Dillwyn Arms in December 1913. The wedding certificate says she was a General Domestic Servant. Her name was Hannah Leswisse. Do you know anything about the pub at this time, such as who were the owners?
Thank You

Dillwyn arms and The SWan Hotel

My family (the CLatworthys) owned these pubs. I too am looking for any information/photographs of the pubs or people working there. I am Tom CLatworthy's Great Granddaughter.
Jan CLatworthy

hi to all. i wonder if some-one can help me, i too have been researching my family history. and one of my ancestors owned the george & dragon public house, it was on neath rd.. right nxt door to rossi`s & better bodies... my grt, grt, grandmother was, elizabeth davies.. i think she may have also run another pub in plasmarl... many kind regards sharon smith

Re.Does anyone remember the "Dillwyn Arms"? I think it was renamed "The Duke" but I'm not sure, I also believe it was opposite the British Legion Club in Glantawe Street.

I remember this pub being called "The Prince Albert" in the 1970's

Hi, As I have said in other earlier responses I am new to this site so all my replies are within the last few weeks, the Wyndham public house was in Glantawe st., it was situated just pass the rear entrance to woolworth/ boots not quite opposite the old toilet block in Glantawe ST., There is a small terrace of about four houses which have a slope/ step up to them the public house was the end one or the nearest one to the Lower Slate St., end my informent Mr, Willy Eric HARRIS, a gentleman who still lives locally opposite the golf club and previosly lived in Trwyddfa Road, for over fifty yesrs and in fairness is a wealth of information on old Morriston in the last sixty years or so, can rember going ther as a boy with his uncle to pay union dues,/subscritions, I have a contact number for him well worth a chat worked in the tinplate /steel industry all his life an absolute gentleman with an excellent knowledge of Morriston and district,his knowledge should really be recorded for posterity, hope this is of interest, D.H.

Hi, re the DILLWYN public house, my informant Mr Willy Eric Harris a well respected senior member of the Grove club in Morriston and aformer trustee of long standin of Morriston Workingmens Club, tells me that the Wyndham public house was situated between Lower SLATE st., and the lane that runs up to Woodfield st., there is aterrace of four or five houses on the bank/ slope the pub was the first one of the terrace, which would have been virtually opposite the gents toilet in Glantawe St., which I remember being there into the seventies, Mr, Harris remembers going there in his youth with his uncle to pay union/ subsriptions dues, to a representative, on more than one occasion, Mr Harris is well into his eighties, is awealth of information on Morriston with a remarkable memory,is memoires should rearlly be recorded for posterity, hope this helps, D.H.

I have scanned an old postcard which shows the Swan hotel (another Clatworthy pub); if anyone would like a copy, just send me an e-mail.I'll look to see if we have a snap of the Duke. Jan

re, the DILLWYN article reply I put on this forum at 1.21am, 20th, August, it should have read Dillwyn and not Wyndham, I did correct it at 1.46am, I dont now how to remove the earlier article[ as I have said in one or two of my replies I am new to commputing and doing my best] perhaps the webmaster can helpThanks D.H.

Re any photographs, I have now got a photo of the Swan Public House it forms part of a picture taken of Copper Pit Halt on the the former Morriston branch of the G.W.R. unfortunately it only shows part of the Swan nearest to Morriston,it is partly obscured by the advertising hoardings but half is better than nothing, also visible is Polly Mauds shop and the cottages/houses nearby and a good shot of the Neath Road Bridge, this photo dates before 1960 as the very rare G.W.R., Pagoda waiting shelter is on the platform and so is the sign copper pit halt these had gone by the time of closure of the line in 1963/4 this photo was taken from the canal/railway bridge that lead down to George Cohens 600 group at the Beaufort Works, I have the G.W.R. bridge weight limit sign off this bridge I bought it from the contracters who altered the bridge in the early seventies for 15/s there was one either side of the bridge don t know what happened to the other one, these were the diamond style over 3 feet high most went for scrap when the canal was filled in they were cast iron I had a bit of a job getting it in my A30,I was grateful to one of the workman for his help, I remember him saying :what the ==ll do you want that for, it is rare now, if you want a copy of the photo please get in touch I wonder if any body viewing this forum have any photographs of any of the stations/halts on the G.W.R, Morriston branch [there were six official stops on the 3,3/4 mile branch [approx]. line I have a few would be most grateful to view any others, or any literature, memorabila, or anthing connected to this sadly missed branch line,[how handy it would have been today]if you want to get in touch please ring on 01792 310693, I will be taking some of my collection of photos[not the bridge sign]to the next meeting of Morriston Hist., Soc., at the Red Lion on last tuesday of Septemser, all the best Dursley Hanford

Hi all.

I was the original poster of this thread back in 2003. Today is the first time I actually caught a message that there was a reply to the original post which I'm sad to say I had totally forgotten about.

Thank you all for your replies & comments. I will get back to you individually.

Janine Clatworthy is a great find :-) She turns out to be my cousin who'm I never met or knew about till this thread. Her grt Grandfather was a brother to my grt Grandfathers sisters husband.

These were Thomas & Evan Clatworthy sons of Thomas Clatworthy. They were born in Ystalyfera, Tom got his father's Jewelery business and Evan the Brewing business.

I'll be back.

John Jones

Website http://genesrus.org

Hi, all have just aquiried a lovely copy of a photograph of the Prince Albert public house taken in 1910, shows the landlady with a young lad standing with her ,very good quality, was given to me by John Davies from Tawe View Morriston, whose family had many business interests locally, also rare photo,of Dillwyn Street, Morriston looking towards the Prince Albert, John tells me that the young lad in the photo was his dads older brother, wil take the copies of the photos to the Morriston Historical Societies next meeting on last Tuesday of September if anyone wants to see them give me a ring on 01792 310693 or email me fanfare.bus@ntl world.com all the best D.H

Hi John Jones, I wish I knew you better, you submitted a great subject on the 27th june 2003 will write a reply tomorrow, Merlyn......

Hi. Still hoping for pictures :-)

Please reply to the email address: john@genesrus.org.

You might also want to visit my genealogy site www.genesrus.org to view my ancestors from Morriston, Ystalyfera & Ystradgynlais.

God Bless

John.

Website http://www.genesrus.org

Hi John, Did you ever receive the pictures of The Prince Albert Pub, and the Swan, and the Duke Hotel?? The Prince Albert was located nearly opposite The Royal British Legion. My Wife and I spent many an evening in the PA Prior to getting Married. And prior to that I Quaffed a few beers before attending a dance @ the Village Hall. All for now Merlyn.....

Hi All but specially those who have replied to my posts.

Still looking for info and pictures about The Swan and Prince Albert, To those who have indicated that they have pictures please get in touch direct by email.

Thanks

john Jones
PS: Anyone remember my father Gwynfor Jones born in Glantawe Street? Or his father Gwylim Jones? Or my Aunt Margaret Jones (Hoskins)?

Website www.genesrus.org

Hello to anyone who will reply...

Pls respond to genesisme@gmail.com