THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
edgar evans

hi Does anyone know of falmouth house clydach rd morriston? this is where chief petty officer edgar evans lived before he set off for the south pole with captain scott in 1911.

The house belonged to one of the Faulls of morriston ,and a bit of internet resarch says a faull lived at 63 clydach rd in 1898 .

today clydach rd starts at the midland hotel number115 and opposite at the old post office number 120 , these numbers must have been changed as the numbers seem to run down into sway rd.ANY IDEAS?

Re: edgar evans

Hi as I have said previously have recently discovered this site I am very interested in the local History of Morriston, and have been since very young,you willsee that I have been replying quite a lot, have recently after course discoversd computing so allways glad to assist, My dad was a great friend of Norman Evans when he lived at Fendrod Walk, on the prefab estate at ynysforgan with his son John and wife Lydia,Norman and my dad worked together in the Forest and WorcesterWorks on the now asda site, Norman was a electrician,in latter days he lived on the d.v.l.a side ot the clase, he used to callinto my home where I still live on springfield St, at least 6/7 occasions a yr on his way down to Morriston Workingmens club where he was a well respected member of many years standing, as I said earlier he had a son John Evans, who was agood allround sportsman who used to live on Cwmgelli Road Treboeth, in a house called TERRA NOVA and who used to have a T.V / Video shop on LLangyefelach Rd, I think he moved a few years agoto some were near the roundabout alongside the Old Inn in Penllergaer, John had a wealth of information on his grandfarther a very nice pleasant, intelligent, man I will try to get contact details for you and post it here when available,Norman EVANS was the younger son of Edgar Evans,Incidently the portrait that used to hang in Wind ST, post office of this wondefull hero of Swansea [who in my opinion has never been really acknowledged,] now hangs in the post office collection dept, on the enterprise park on Fendrod Way now doesnt that name ring a bell from this article all the best D.H.

Just an update on Edgar EVANS,have spoken to John who recalls as a child going to a house in Midland Tce,Clydach Rd, [John is now 67yrs old,] to his aunty Ivy he says there was a definate connection to the Faull family, the house is situated some 150 yds down from the railway viaduct,and was the home of Hubert Spender ,another friend of my dad they served in the royal navy during the war, Mr Spender was a police man during the early 50s, I remember there being a nemergency police telephone on the wall outside, Johns grandmother returned from Portsmouth after the tradgedy and settled in Morriston eventually settling in C.R.C, in Heol Fedw, in a house named after Scotts ship TERRA NOVA, he still has relatives in the house today,incidentally did you know the houses before the viaduct for apprx 200yds on the Morriston side were in an area called CWMFELINFACH, hmore news to follow once John gets back to me all the best D.H.

Hi,

I came across this forum by accident whilst researching for a book that I am writing on PO Edgar Evans.

It was most interesting to read the previous postings and I would be grateful for any other information on this famous, but mostly unheralded, son of Swansea.

If anyone has anything to share on this subject I would be delighted to hear from them, initially via this forum. My thanks and I look forward to hearing from you. LBH.

Hi Lyndon I dont know if you have been in touch with John Evans, Edgar Evans grandson he has a lot of information and artifacts about his grandfather, it would not be right for me to give out his telephone no on a website but if you can give me a ring on 01792 310693 I will then be able to put you in touch, all the best Dursley Hanford

Hello there Dursley,

Many thanks for your reply and I shall certainly call you in the next day or so. I much appreciate your help. Regards.

LBH.

Did anything come out of this research I have been reading about Scott of the Antarctic in past few weeks and was aware of Evans and his Morriston links. It was 103 years ago this past Tuesday when he died.

Hi Len, like you have not heard anything else regarding this thread for quite a number of years,I often see John in the vice presidents lounge of the Swans,he is not a V.P but does come to some of the bigger games with a long standing friend of mine Ray Trotman from Treboeth,who has spare tickets often,as the Liverpool game is coming up next week there is a good chance of him being there if so I will have a chat about this,if not I will give him a ring later next week,all the best.

I lived in Nant Cottages next to Fauls but i remember it as a steel works , Wilf Faul owned it and ran it with his son John , who used to play Rugby , he had a sister Pauline and they lived in Langland

I remember the Spenders they had a daughter Pamela