THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Factory, Cwmbath Rd.

I am looking for the history of the Factory. It was located opposite Bath Ave and the upper part of Mill Terrace, on Cwmbath Rd. There was a small nant that was dammed to run a water wheel that run the machinery there. My question is what did it manufacter and produce, many thanks Merlyn.....

Re: The Factory, Cwmbath Rd.

Hi, Merlyn,I believe the factory was in fact a small Mill, the nant is called Nant Melin,which runs from the direction of M0rriston Park, under the cottages at the top of Cwmbath on the left of Vicarage road, Jim LLOYD, [super jim ] of s4c fame tells me that his wife Gloria who lived in one of the cottages[ I believe her brother still lives in the house] can remember after heavy rainfall being able to here the rushing water deep under the house there was a colliery between there and the park in the area of Dan Y PARC I believe all the small cottages in that area would have been associated with the colliery, I have spoken to somebody who,s relative lived in that factory/ house but I cant remember who it was, i normally keep a note so I will check up, I know the stream runs under the Mill House area apparently there is a tunnel/ passage way bricked up in the pub, the stream runs under ST, Davids under the Indian Restaurant, Glantawe st, Green st, under the old Canal and comes out allongside ALDI and into the river its overgrown but still visible hope this helps D.H.

Have had a little more info, re the factory I am told that there was a mint or coin/ token pressing factory based there certainly tokens were used in most of the larger works, as a form of payment to employees, who would spend them in shops set up by their employers, I believe the Duffryn Works operated one of these token shops,I have been informed that two well known Morriston sisters Isbobel Evans,and her sister Lillian ? two lovely ladies with outstanding singing voices were born very near to the factory, I know them both having worked in Swansea Foundry as an apprentice moulder serving my trade with Jackie Evans who was one of the finest moulders I have ever seen,he was Isobels husband, these two ladies are very knowledgeable and I am sure would be able to throw some light onto the subject[apparently thier dad was a well known chimney sweep[ its been years since I have seen one of those]more to follow D.H.

Hello Merlyn

my name is glenys... my maiden name was mitchell,i lived at 67 cwmbath road up until i was 18.I remember you and your family well,Dursley of the Morriston Camera Club informed me of this post,naturaly i know a lot about the old factory .Please reply if you need more information

Regards

Glenys

Hi,Glenys/ Merlyn nice to see another reply about the factory, [I dont want to get into trouble with the camera club]although if I was into photography I dont think I could find a better clubI like the history side of the Morriston area, and I am a founder member of the recently formed Morriston Historical Society, and most grateful for the guidance this site has provided in the short time that I have discovered it,but I must point out that I am not a member of the Morriston camera club,only a visitor to the site,all the best Dursley

[although if I was in to photography I dont think I would find a better club] I am not a member of this club my interest is the History of Morriston area, and I was one of the instigators

Hi Glenys, Thank you for the reply, it is very much appreciated, you can contact myself personally via my e-mail, and yes I would like to know more about the Factory, Merlyn

"The Factory" 67 Cwmbath Road,The factory is a local name given to a building that was formely built as a mint and then many years later became the Wool Factory it was built in the l9th century around l820 it comprised of a two-floored stone-building to which was attached a dwelling house . The weaving machinary was driven by a mill stream that ran down through the Cwm in which the building was situated. Examples of small industrial activity of this kind was common throughout Wales.I am now going to give you a little of the Jones' history re: the Factory my Uncle is the last of the Jones' his great grandfather was David Jones who worked the Mill whether he initiated the enterprise or acquired the property as a going concern is uncertain. He had at least 4 sons by his first wife. After he died two sons William and Joseph continued the business. At sometime - perhaps towards the end of l9th century the business foundered and the brother had to find work elsewhere. My great grandfather Joseph continued to live in the house attached to the Mill. William eventually seems to be involved in building terraced houses around the general area,his son, Davey, now a local grocery and a Bakery business and seems to have been influential locally. The old Mill at various times after it was closed down was used for a number of activities including a sort of religious meeting house,my grandfather and grandmother had a fish and chip shop there .
As time went on it became largerly abandoned and dilapadated. Eventually in about l962 the house was purchased by Swansea City Council compulsary puchase order to allow for road widening.I have a picture of the old garden and the house but not the factory which l will try to E.Mail you at a later time also a picture of myself. I recognise faces in the picture but, cannot remember names. Do you remember the Hendersons? was your Mums name ROSIE, I ALSO remember HEDLEY have lots more information if you are not too bored GLENYS

My Family, lived in 65 or 66 Cwmbath Road and owned the land behnd Cwmbath Road. It was the estate of Davy Jones, my Great Uncle. I still have drawings of land and ownership in Morriston.