THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alltyscrech

I am trying to find out where Alltyscrech on Llangyfelach Road was. I'm not sure whether it was a house or a group of houses but I know it was there in the late 1920s and early 1930s. I am doing some family research for someone in England so any help would be excellent.

Thank you.

Bev.

Re: Alltyscrech

Hi Bev,
I have done a little research on your request re Alltyscrech on Llangyfelach Road and have come up with the following.
On the 1884 and 1900 maps of the area there appears an Allt-ysgrech House, but it is not shown on the 1921 map of the area.
On today's street maps it appears to have been somewhere between Parkhill Road (off Llangyfelach Rd) and Cae-Pys Road (about 1/2 mile north of Brynhyfryd Square).
There is an old building in that area which has been modernised and extended and is now a Care Home by the name of Y Plas, 619 Llangyfelach Road.
I can't be sure if this is the same building as Allt-ysgrech House, but it seems to be in the same vicinity.
If you would like a copy of the map of this area taken from the 1900 map (Old Maps.co.uk), let me know and I'll email it to you.
Best Regards

Jeff Lang

Re: Alltyscrech

Thank you Jeff, that's really good of you.
Thanks to someone else I found a photo of Alltyscrech in the book "Copperopolis" - it says it was at 535 Llangyfelach Road and was still standing in the 1960s. It's very interesting that you mention Y Plas, as the person I am doing this research for was under the impression that her family lived there, but then on the census I found that their address was Alltyscrech, so it's all been very confusing! The map would be great, because it might help to sort it out once and for all, and prove that they are the same place.

Many many thanks,
Bev.