THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rees's in Morriston.

Hello,

I wonder if anyone else on here knows anything about this family?

My Grandmother Margaret Rees was born at 18 Welcome Street, Morriston in November 1867. Her parents were Evan and Margaret Rees, (nee Davies).

I believe that Welcome Street is now re-named 'Lower Slate Street'.

My Great Grandfather Evan Rees, (1837 - 1927) worked in the Copper Works and then the Tin Works. Apparantly he also sang in a choir, and was known as 'the Nightingale of Treforys', - but this is anecdotal...

On the 1891/1901 and 1911 Censuses for Wales, Evan Rees is living at Brynforgan House; which I think is in Clydach? He is certainly buried in St John's, Clydach.

My Grandmother Margaret Rees married William James Wilson and with him lived in St Helens Road, Swansea and then from 1919 - 1932 at 'Y Plas', Llangyfelach Road. They ran a painting and decorating business called, 'Wilson and Co' from 93 St Helens Road; which was also a shop.

I wondered if anyone on here might also be looking at this family or know anything about them?

Many Thanks,
Isobel.

Re: Rees's in Morriston.

My family is from Lower Slate Street and Evan Rees was my Great Grandfather too. My Grandfather was Gomer Rees.

Re: Rees's in Morriston.

David Williams
My family is from Lower Slate Street and Evan Rees was my Great Grandfather too. My Grandfather was Gomer Rees.

Hi David,

I'm very interested to hear that your Great Grandfather was also an Evan Rees. I've located and downloaded all of the Census Entries from 1841 - 1911, but I've never come across a Gomer Rees in my Rees family ancestors.
Evan Rees , (my Great Grandfather) was Born in Llangyfellach in 1837 and Married Margaret Davies. They seem to have lived at 18 Welcome Street, (re-named as Lower Slate Street at some stage).
I have a very early photograph (on glass) of Evan and Margaret Rees taken in Swansea in the early 1860's.
Evan Rees's parents were Evan and Ann Rees. (after Ann's death, Evan Married Mary Lloyd).
I will look out all of my notes on the Rees side of the family, and get back to you.
Best Wishes, Isobel.