THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Morrison Park War Memorial

For the past few years I have been researching the stories behind the names listed on the Morriston Park War Memorial.

There are around 250 fallen listed from the Great War and I have found the basic military ( rank, battalion , manner of death, batte etc) and biographical( connection with Morriston , family occupation etc) details for nearly 190 of those named.

I was hoping to complete the compilation in time for the 100 anniversary of the start of the Great War in 2014 ,but my research is not progressing as some of those listed are difficult to trace because of very common names or no obvious link to Morriston.

So I was wondering if anyone who follows the forum and who might have information on some the names below( just 10 to start with) could join in the discussion it would be much appreciated.

L J Anthony
George H Bater
A Beasant
D Beavan
H Brazell
Glyn Buckland
D T Davies
D B Davies
I Davies
J I Davies

Re: Morrison Park War Memorial

Some more names from the other end of the alphabet.

A Thomas
B Thomas
D M Thomas
D A Thomas
TH Thomas
W Thomas
T S Thomas
D Williams
J O Williams
F Yaverland

Thomas is the most common name on the Memorial with 21 men included.

Does anyone know when the Memorial was put up?

Hi, have just seen your request,and hope thi is helps, my grandfathers name W R Hanford is on the memorial he was killed in May 1915,near Bethune in france,and is buried near the village of Veille Chappelle,he was a member of the South Wales Borderers,born in Port Talbot,and married my grandmother who was from Trebanos, thet lived in one of the three cottages in what is today the car park[Clydach side] of the Red Lion Hotel in Morriston,is name is also on the war memorial on Mumbles Road the Cenotaph opposite the recreation ground,I believe the memorial in Morriston park was build in the early thirties,I live at the Pentrepoeth end of Springfield St, and I am reliably informed that the waste ground oppsite my home which runs from our street in Pentrepoeth Road and down to Pentreoeth pistyll[small stream/watercourse] about 40/50 feet down the hill,was to be the original site of the war memorial but the park was chosen instead,hope this helps good luck with your project,all the best Dursley[Lee]Hanford.

Thank you for your info on your grandfather W R Hanford or W Hanford as he is listed on the memorial.

I have only partial information about him a Private No, 14630 in the 1st Battalion SWB and Killed in Action and buried in the cemetery you state. The CWGC records his date of death as 10 June 1915. It is interesting you say it was May 1915 because that would tie in with the Battle of Aubers in which the SWB fought where as I am struggling to find action for the 1st SWB in June 1915,

Your grandfather was an "old contemptible" and would have fought at Mons , Marne and the First Ypres at which the SWB played a significant role.

May i ask what did the W R stand for and what was your grandmother's name? And how old was he when died?

i will check out the address for the cottages on the 1911 census it would help if he lived there then! As a kid I remember playing in the ruins of some buildings either side of the Red Lion.

I also remember the waste ground which you say was a possible site for the memorial we used to cross it from the top of the Waun to Springfield St on the way to some fields and up to the Park.

Knowing it was built in the 1930s is a big help thanks.

I have not updated this thread with other names of those men from Morriston who fell during WW1 and are named on the War Memorial ,as I recently had the chance to visit Swansea( during a very heavy snow storm) and went to the reference library.

In the hour or so I could spend there, I found details of five of the men I have been searching ,all reported in the South Wales Daily Post in the period following the Battle of the Somme in July/August 1916.

I think a more prolonged visit to Library will help concluded this part of my research.

But i would welcome any stories about Morriston families and the Great War.

Hello,just noticed your recent update,my grandfathers christian names were William Richard,as were my fathers,and I have a son who we also named Richard,my dad was born in the last but one house before you turn up to Morriston football clubs Dingle ground in 1912,[Morriston cross side, and when I was a kid a newspaper shop] Midland Terrace then Clydach Road now,he had another brother who was 18months or so younger and I think it was from there that my grandfather went to war,there were three Hanford boys,and my grandmother remarried in 1917/18 and had two more boys and a daughter [Packington]who survives and she was born in the red lion cottages,the four boys all fought in the second world war my dad became a chief petty officer in the Royal Navy and served from 1926 [he was fouteen when he signed on but stated he was fifteeen]and came out in 1946, of my other uncles one was a dessert rat with 8th army,the other was a Royal Marine commando,and the third also being a Royal Navy sailor,all survived the war, my oldest uncle was knocked over outside todays Lidl,he was a very young boy and I believe a tram ran over him and he lost one of his legs,so he did not go to war but he was trained as a cobbler and operated for many years from Trewen road in Birchgrove where he had a workshop alongside his house,also living in the red lion cottages was my granmothers sister Mary Jane Lindell,and I woud be grateful for any info you can find re either,hope this helps keep up the good work,all the best Dursley[Lee]

Thank you for that,I have updated my records.

Another of listed on the War Memorial came from Midland Terrace- Levi Gilchrist, although by the time he was killed ( less than two months after arriving in France in 1915) he was living in Tirpenry St.

His brother Tommy fought in Mametz Wood and Pilkem Ridge with the Swansea Pals ( 14th Welsh) and survived.

Tommy was also involved with establishing Morriston Town in the Welsh League in the early 1950s.

Some further names for whom details are still needed follow:

Doran J
Drury A
Edwards Benjamin
Edwards James
Edwards L
Edwards SH
Edwards WA
Evans BE
Evans E T
Francis Ivor?
Francis Phillip?
Francis Thomas D
Gabe LJ
Gambold George
Evans E T
Francis Ivor?
Francis Phillip?
Francis Thomas D
Gabe LJ
Gambold George
Harris WT
Haynes W
James T
Jenkins Griffiths?
Jenkins J H
Jenkins R
Harris WT
Haynes W

And to complete the list

James T
Jenkins Griffiths?
Jenkins J H
Jenkins R
John AD
John D
Jones D
Jones S(DCM)
Joseph C
Joseph J
Lewis BAM
Lewis L
Lewis O
Lewis T J
Meaden HJD
Meredith T
Morgan D
Owens RJ
Palmer H
Pannell W
Parry D
Parsons J
Powell E
Powell JTB
Prior C
Ryan T
Taylor F

Just to keep the thread moving here is some information about one the men listed that I know something about;

PRIVATE LEVI GILCHRIST, 17753, 14th Welsh Battalion: St Vaast Post Military Richbourg-L’Avoue
Levi Gilchrist was born in Swansea in 1880 to a Scottish father, Robert from Edinburgh; and a Welsh mother, Sarah, from Fishguard. He had nine brothers and sisters and in his early childhood lived in the St Thomas area of the town near the docks ,but the family eventually moved to Morriston,and after he left school Levi begun work in the Midlands works near where he lived in Midlands Terrace. Later he married Maggie and went to live in Bush Road across the River Tawe from the Fforest Tinplate Works. Maggie and Levi had a child Sidney in 1910 and at the time of enlistment, in Morriston, into the 14th Welsh Battalion (the Swansea Pals) the family were living in Tirpenry St.
After enlistment, in October 1914, Levi left Swansea in the following December for the battalion’s training camp in Rhyl, North Wales. He stayed in Rhyl for most of 1915 until the Brigade was transferred to Winchester for final training before leaving for France. Levi disembarked in Le Havre on 2 December 1915 and moved up to the front line trenches at Richbourg St Vaast just in time for Christmas.
Just one month later, on 27 January 1916, Levi was killed when a shell exploded outside a bunker he was sharing with eight other men, only four of whom survived, albeit wounded. Levi along with his colleagues Privates Lumsdaine, Smitham, Paddison and Roper were killed instantly by the concussion blast from the shell and are now buried alongside each other in this cemetery.
His brother Tommy was in the same battalion as Levi and went on to survive the war having fought on the Somme (Mametz Wood) and Paaschendele (Pilkem Ridge) with the Swansea Pals.

Taken from another thread

Sadly my postings about the War Memorial have focused on what I do not know rather than what I do know, and I am trying to find ways of sharing more of that.

Mervyn Williams' two uncles are an example.

Brothers William (Will) and Richard lived in 41 Lan St.
Will died on 4 June 1916 near Laventie, France. He took part in the Lieutenant Corker Raid. A detailed account of the raid and Will’s death is given in Bernard Lewis’ book about the Swansea Pals (14th Welsh) pages 89-92. There is a photograph of the two brothers in the book, so I guess your family may be in touch with Bernard Lewis. Does Hedley Morris mean anything to you?

Richard died just over a year later on 6 July 1917 while serving with the Kings Liverpool Regiment (13th) I cannot work out what action he was involved in because it was the day before his regiment moved to the front at Ypres in readiness for their part in the Battle of Pilkem Ridge (as part of the Battle of Paaschendele). Had they survived ,your uncles would have fought alongside each other because the Swansea Pal also fought in the Battle of Pilkem Ridge

My great uncles, Richard and William Williams are mentioned above

Thanks for the information David.

One year from today on 18th September 2014 it will be 100 years since the first of the known Morriston fallen in the Great War, Thomas John Thomas was killed in action ,aged 27 . He was a private in the 2nd Welsh Regiment (6100) and has no known grave but he is listed on the La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial in the Marne area of France. But he is not listed on the Morriston Park Memorial. He was born in Morriston but by 1914 he lived in Blaenrhondda where he was a coal miner haulier.

The Park Memorial lists on its panels 221 names of those who fell in the Great War ( as well as panels for WW2 casualties and one from a more recent conflict, I believe) but not all of those who were born or lived in Morriston ( including Llangyfelach and Clase) and who died in the Great War are commemorated. In public records about the War there are over 35 Morriston men who died but who are not listed on the Park Memorial, Thomas John Thomas being one.

Another contributor to the Morriston Forum, Dursley Hanford, has informed that the Park Memorial was not inaugurated until the 1930s. So depending on how the names of those to be listed were collected, it is possible that, after 10 /15 years, the families of those not listed had either died , were no longer living in Morriston or were not aware of the plans for the memorial .
There are other memorials in Morriston churches and chapels, the one in St David’s Churches in particular, and it may well be that some of these men are listed on those memorials.

No other Morriston men are known to have fallen during the War on 18 September until 1918 when three, Privates Wilfred George Uren, David Williams Thomas and W Harris fell in the same battle - the futile attempt to take the Bulgarian Army fortifications at Dojran Lake in what is now known as Macedonia. The three of them have no known grave and are commemorated on the Doiran Memorial. Only Privates Thomas and Harris are listed on the Park Memorial.

According to records Privates Uren and Harris served with 11th Welsh Regiment and Private Thomas was with the 11th Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Wilfred Uren, 21, had been born in Morriston but had moved away and was a clerk in a Laundry in Port Talbot. David Thomas, 29, lived with his wife Elizabeth at 4 Davies Terrace Pentremalwed. Harris’ first name and age are unknown, but he had lived at 99 Wychtree St with his parents Thomas and Catherine.

Re:MORRISTON PARK WAR MEMORIAL

99 years ago yesterday on 18 October 1914 another non Morriston Park Memorial listed man who was born in Morriston was killed .

He was Lance Corporal Robert Massey,who was killed in action during the Battle of Bassee in France. He has no known grave but he is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial to the Missing.

Next Friday 25 October it will be 99 years since the death of the first Memorial Listed soldier, Frederick Wyatt. Wyatt was a Lance Corporal in the Royal Fusiliers (4th) and he too was killed in action, retaking some lost trenches at Neuve Chappelle, during the Battle of Bassee.

He had lived at 19 Avon Terrace on Wychtree Street with his wife Gertrude. His grave is in the Canadian No 2 Cemetery on Vimy Ridge having been transferred there after the War from a more local but temporary grave in Neuve Chappelle.

Re: Re:MORRISTON PARK WAR MEMORIAL

Only two of the known fallen were killed in action on 11 November. They were William Frederick Harris in 1916 and Leyton Davies in 1917.

Corporal Harris was 27 and in the Rifle Brigade. He has no known grave and is listed on the Thiepval Memorial in the Somme. He lodged in Fisher Street.

Private Davies was in the 6th Welsh Regiment, which was a territorial battalion at the outbreak of the war. He is buried in the White House Cemetery near Ypres. He was only 20 when he died and was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Davies.

...At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.

There were very few casualties around the Christmas period when hostilities tended to reduce considerably ,particularly in the first year of the War with the well known incident when incredibly both sides met in no man's land for a Christmas Armistice.

But on 21 December 1914 ,Private George Charles Clarke was killed in action defending the Givency trenches in the La Basse area of France.

He had lived in Morriston prior to the War and was serving with the 2nd Welsh Regiment and he is buried in Le Touret.

He was the last of the four Morriston men known to have died in 1914.

The first two deaths in 1915 were Privates Archibold James Schofield ( 8th January)and David John Ware( 17th January) of the Welsh 2nd and 6th SWB respectively . Both died from illness or accident while still in English barracks. Schofield was a soldier before the War begun, and is buried in Portsmouth, he was 32. Ware was 29 and lived in the Caemawr area, his parents were John & Jane Ware and he is buried in Bournemouth.

Not all of those who served in the Great War were killed in action or died from their wounds. Many died because of accident or illness. If they did so it was likely that they would not only be buried in the UK but possibly in their home town.

According to Commonwealth Graves Commission records, six men from Morriston who served and died during the war were buried in graveyards in Morriston.

The first of these is Driver Trevor Joseph who died on 17 February 1915; he was buried in Seion Welsh Baptist Chapelyard. He served with the Royal Engineers 20th Signals.

Others buried later in the Chapel yard were Driver Thomas Smith Morgan and Trimmer Thomas John Jones.

Private David Brindley James was buried in Swansea (Morriston) Cemetery;and
Private David Watkin and Private BDR Davies who were buried in Horeb Congregational Chapel yard.
Their headstones would be made from the usual Portland Stone and maintained by the CWGC. I wonder if these graves can still be seen , I guess much has changed in these places over the years since .

I only have photographs of the panels on the Memorial and know the memorial was built in the 1930s.

Does anyone know if the panels include WW2 casualties too or do they just list the WW1 fallen.

Although his Morriston credentials look uncertain Private David Thomas of the
14th Welsh Regiment is the next listed to have died ;probably while still in Swansea as the Swansea Pals were still in training then. He is buried in Cwmgelli Cemetery having died on 27 March 1915.

Hi Am trying to contact Len Woodward who I believe is collecting info on the Morriston War Memorial. I have spent the last 12 years documenting the Fallen of the Tawe Valley with photographs of local graves etc. I have Ystalyfera and Ystradgynlais on my website and I was wondering if I could be of assistance to Len in his research (I have covered Morriston on my way up the Valley to Swansea Cenotaph)

Website www.ystalyfera-fallen.co.uk

Re: Morriston Park War Memorial

Thank you Val I have e mailed you with my details.

Very good website about the Ystradgynlais Fallen.

FOUR MORRISTON FALLEN IN ONE WEEK

Although the War was still in its early stages, and the major set battles were yet to come; four known Morriston men died during this week in May 1915.

On 5 May Private Thomas Davies of the 2nd Welsh Regiment, who was born in Morriston, was killed in action,aged 33. He has no known grave and is listed on the Le Touret Memorial.

The next day Walter Briggs died and is buried in Barry; another who did not get the chance to serve overseas. He was 21 and served as a Sapper with the Royal Engineers in the 1st Glamorgan Fortress. He had lived in 8 Parc Avenue( Baildon) with parents Samuel and Mary.

Three days later Private Evan R Evans, who was serving with 1st Devonshire Regiment was killed in action when attempting to take Hill 60 in the Second Battle of Ypres. He had been born in Morriston. His body was not found and he is listed on the Menin Gate Memorial in Ypres.

On the 10th May Private David Rees Williams of the 1st Welsh Regiment died of the wounds sustained a few days earlier in the defense of the Freezenburg Ridge, again during the Second Battle of Ypres .He had lived at 12 Globe Street, but now rests in Bethune Town Cemetery in France .He was just 21 when he died.

Was it actually five men in a week?

Earlier in this thread Dursley's relative William Richard Hanford was discussed. He was a Private in 1st Battalion of South Wales Borderers and was killed in action on the 10 June 1915. Dursley believed William actually died in May 1915.As there is no evidence of the 1st SWB being involved in any action on the 10 June; but on 10 May they were heavily involved in the Battle of Aubers Ridge, it is more than likely that the records could be incorrect. Aubers also ties in with the location of the cemetery where he is buried -Veille Chapelle New Military.

So the same week in 1915 was possibly more dark than the records show!

The poppies in bloom in Morriston should provide a good opportunity for a photo
as a school in Morriston has joined in the Free Poppy Seed project

An update on David Rees Williams of Globe St who died from wounds in May 1915, his wounds were to his side and knee caused by shrapnel and he also sustained a bullet wound to his arm.

The deaths of two Morriston men this week in July 1915 was the beginning of a tragic outcome for some Morristonians during the Gallipoli Campaign. Privates David Glasbrook Thomas and John Davies of the 2nd South Wales Borderers were killed in action on the 5th and 6th of July respectively.

They were both 27 years old. Their action would have been the British attack on Gully Ravine.

Thomas lived in Roberts St and Davies at 586 Neath Road, and they are commemorated, with no known graves, on the Helles and Twelve Trees Copse Cemetery Memorials respectively .

Much worse news for Morriston mothers and wives was to yet come from Gallipoli.

A previous posting on this thread referred to the worst week of the Great War, at that point, when three Morriston men were killed in one week.

In just over two weeks time on 8 August it will be 99 years since four men were killed in action in one day during the 1915 Gallipoli campaign.

All four were members of the 8th Battalion of the Welsh Regiment ( a Pioneer Battalion )and may not have seen any action before that day.

The men were:
Private John Roberts, aged 24, who lived at 27 Morris St;

Private Edward John who was born and lived in Morriston with his parents William and Margaret, He was 25 years old ;

Private William Morris, age and connection unknown but listed on the Park Memorial

Lance Corporal Private William Rees , also 25 year old ,who lived at 37 Crown St with his parents Phillip and Mary.

The 8th Battalion were part of the taking of Chunuk Bar in the drive forward from Anzac Cove, but they were caught in relentless cross fire from the Turks on adjacent peaks.

The four became some of the 266 men of the 8th Welsh who went “missing” that day. They have no known grave but are listed on the Helles Memorial.

The War had only just entered its second year and there were still some big battles to come, but 8 August 1915 is surely one day for Morristonians to remember.

To complete the known Morriston connection with Gallipoli Campaign ,two other Morriston men Privates William Bevan and Lewis Davies ,who are not recorded on the Park Memorial ,were also killed in action on 16 August 1915. Both were serving with the 8th Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and have no known grave but are listed on the Helles Memorial. Bevan had lived on Neath road.

During September 1915 the focus of the Great War returned to the Western Front and the attack on Loos. Two Morriston Men fell in the Battle of Loos ,a coal mining area, John Thomas Hughes on 25 September aged 29 and William Brazell Evans on the 29th aged 20. Both have no known grave and are listed on the Loos Memorial , Hughes as a Lance Sargeant in the 8th Royal Welsh Fusilliers and Evans as a Private in the 1st Welsh Guards. Hughes had moved to Clydach prior to the War and Evans lived at 49 Morfydd St with his parents David and Susannah.

Three further Morriston men fell in the later stages of the Battle of Loos.

Privates David Robert Rees ( age 27) , on 12 October 1915 ,and Edwin James House, on 17 October 1915 were killed in action while serving with 9th Devonshire Regiment and 1st Welsh Guards respectively . Private Rees Lewis of the 1st Welsh Regiment died from his wounds on 19th., , he had lived in 59 Clyndu street with his wife Olivette.

Rees is buried in Beuvry Lewis in Bethune but House has no known grave and is listed on the Loos Memorial.

Neither Rees nor House are listed on the Park Memorial.

Soon the battle was to draw to an end and there would no more known Morriston fallen until December.

The last part of this thread has given details of those who fell from the beginning of the Great war War in chronological order; and so those mentioned in those posts have reached or are about to reach “100 years ago” status.

On Armistice Day 2014 William Henry Roberts gets a mention as he was one of my Great Uncles who survived the war and I found his service details for the first time yesterday.

William Henry lived in 24 Pleasant St and volunteered to serve in 1915 and went to France, on SS Huntsman, as a Gunner with the RGA on 9 September 1916 and remained there for the rest of the war; and would have, as part of Siege Gun Battery 158,gun 5 ,participated in the operations of the 7th Brigade, which included a role in the Battle of Paaschendele in 1917.

Perhaps ,from now on this thread could include contributions from those who know of other Morriston men who served and survived.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.

The last known Morriston man to die in 1915 was Private J Wood of Petrefelinfach ,whose mother was Esther, and like several of the Morriston fallen he is buried in a Cemetery in Gallipoli -Skew Bridge. He died on Boxing Day. He had served with the Royal Marine Light Infantry and is another who is not listed on the Park memorial.

1916 was to see some of the greatest battles on the western front and an increase in the number of Morriston fallen. The first known death of 1916 was Levi Gilchrist whose story has already appeared in this thread. He died when a shell exploded outside the bunker he was sharing with his Swansea Pals(Welsh 14th) colleagues.

There is another forum about Morriston on Facebook in which photographs sometimes appear of men who died in the War, but there is no reason why such photographs cannot be found of any relatives who died in the Great War. There are on line newspaper archives and copies in Swansea Library. Details of deaths can be found in the Commonwealth Graves Commission website with minimal information about relatives.

So this year why not try some personal research because you will be surprised what can be found.

Things were blissfully quiet in the first few months of 1916 although another four Morriston men had died before the end of March.

Private Richard Priest whose Morriston link is unclear was killed in action on 14th February serving with the 16th Welsh and he is listed on the Arras Memorial but not on the Park memorial.

He was followed on 18 March by Clarence Hiram Williams son of Edwin and Eliza of the Lodge Maesygwernen. He was a Lance Corporal in the 7th Royal Irish Fusiliers. He was KIA and is buried in Vermelles.

On 21st March Lance Corporal J Morgan ,whose father Joshua lived in 5 Market St, died. He was another Swansea Pal (14th Welsh) and he is buried in Bethune Town Cemetery

Frederick Walters was KIA on 31 March serving with 1st South Wales Borderers he had lived in 573 Neath Road with his mother Anne.

Things remained quiet on the western front in April 1916 as far as Morriston men were concerned and only David Thomas is known to have died(of wounds) on 4 April 1916 serving as a private in the Ox and Bucks (5th). He was 24 and had lived at 35 Horeb Road with his parents Thomas and Produce. He is buried in Doullens Community Cemetery.
However 17 April 1916 saw the first known sailor casually when Percy Harold Hull died on HMS Vivid, a shore based training ship in Devonport. He was 20 years old and a Stoker 2nd Class in the Royal Navy.He had lived at 34 Clase Road with his parents James and Ann. He is buried at Ford Park Pennycomequick Cemetery in Plymouth

I have very much enjoyed reading all the info that you have found.

Thanks Paula so here's some more!

On 31 May 1916 Able Seaman William Earnest Williams was drowned when his ship, HMS Invincible, was sunk during the Battle of Jutland. He was 30 years old and had lived in 116 Clyndu St. with his brother Benjamin before the war. He is listed on the Plymouth Naval Memorial.

Two days earlier Gunner David Henry Rees of the Royal Garrison Artillery (80th Siege). He is buried in Bouzincourt Extension Cemetery. His link with Morriston is not clear.

The other Morriston casualty in May 1916 was 21 year old William Jesse Bendle , a Private in 1st Hampshires, who died on 5th in Basra, Iraq.

There were more casualties in June, starting on the 1st when David Arthur Jones, aged 26, a Private in the 1st Gloucester Regiment died. He was the son of David Henry & Anne. He is buried in the Maroc British Cemetery.

On 4th June Private William Williams of 41 Lan St was killed in action, and is buried in the Royal Irish fusiliers Laventie Cemetery .

A week later Thomas Thomas an Able Seaman in the Royal Naval Division Nelson Battalion (but attached to Budda Point)died . He was 34 years old and had lived at 21 Clydach Road with his wife Mary. He is also listed on the Plymouth Naval Memorial.

24 year old Charles Haddon Samuel, son of David and Anne of Woodland Vicarage Road, was killed in action on 22 June 1916. He had served as a Private in the 2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He is listed on the Loos Memorial

On 29 June, Noah Davies Huzzey, 21, died from wounds. He was a Private with the 4th Ox & Bucks and he is also listed on the Loos Memorial. He had lived with his parents Albert & Elizabeth in 50 Tirpenry St.

Whilst these casualties were unwelcome ,Morriston was to see a considerable increase in its fallen in the coming months - The Battle of the Somme was about to begin....

The Battle of the Somme begun on 1 July 1916, but the first casualty of the month was far from there. Private David Arthur Mort died from wounds on that day.He had served with the 1st Gas Battlion (Royal Engineers). He was 20 years of age and is buried in St Sever Rouen.

The first known Somme casualty was 23 year old Percy Edwards who died from wounds on 3 July.He was a Private in the 1st Kings Own Royal Lancers. As he is listed on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing, his grave must have been destroyed in subsequent action.

James Edwards of 21 Sway Road died from wounds on 7 July. This 28 year old Lance Corporal was the son of John and Elizabeth and is buried in Carnoy Cemetery. He had served with the 16th Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Another to be listed on the Thiepval Memorial is 30 year old Private Sidney Owen Lewis of the 17th Roiyal Welsh Fusiliers. Killed in action on 9 July he had lived in Stowfield Vicarage Road.

The following day Swansea Pals( 14th Welsh) Private Samual Jones was killed in action in the Battle of Mametz Wood, an action in the Battle of the Somme that everyone from Swansea should be aware of.He too is listed on the Thiepval Memorial.

So not two weeks into the battle and four men from Morriston are already known to have fallen. Before the first two weeks have ended another five are to fall

The E Davies on the Park Memorial is thought to be Edmund, killed in action on 14th July but nothing more is known. Also D Evans is thought to be a private in 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers who died on the 20 July.

On 23 July, 28 year old J Henry Dawkins of 584 Neath Road and a private in the 6th Welsh Regiment ( a Swansea Territorial Unit) was killed in action and is buried in Contalmaison Chateau Cemetery. He was the son of Anne and worked as a doubler in a tin works before the war.

David Rogers died of wounds on 30 July and isn buried in St Sever Rouen. He also served with the 6 th Welsh but as a lance corporal. He was 29 years of age and had lived in Castle Criaig and left a widow Mary Ann. ( There is a petition to preserve the ruins of Castle Craig, signing it would be one way of remembering one of Morriston’s fallen.

So in the first month of the Somme Battle, thirteen Morriston men had died; but on no day were there as many killed as there were 100 years ago this coming Saturday when 4 Morriston men were killed in action in Gallipoli . 8 August 1915 a day that Morriston should remember.

Note: Just noticed that my previous posting failed to register will remedy that in my next posting!!

Do not know why that posting did not work again will update soon

Another four Morriston men are known to fall in August 1916.

Thomas Smith Morgan was 20 years old when he died on 15 August as a Driver in the 479th Co, Army service Corps. Son of William & Gwenllien he had lived at Penrice Cottage No 17 Pentrepoeth Road is buried in Seion.

Private William Giles Goldring died of wounds on 18 August he was 24 and served with 9th Gordon Highlanders He had lived at 2 Sac St with parents John & Alice and was riser in a tinplate works.He is buried in Warloy -Baillon.

Frederick Gronert was a private in the 2nd Welsh when he was killed in action on 24 August aged 19. Son of Theodore & Jane of 520 Neath Road he is listed on the Thiepval Memorial.The next day Morriston born Corporal William John Davies also serving with 2nd Welsh died of wounds. He is buried in Flat Iron Copse cemetery which over looks the Welsh Division Dragon Memorial near Mametz Wood.

Trying to catch up on September 1916 should post soon.
But thought struck me as we approach Remembrance Day 2015 that those on the memorial are still remembered but when they were where they were when they died they had no doubt been thinking about and remembering Morriston.

So if there ever was to be a "Morriston Day", and there may well be already, would not 8 August be a good day for it?

The first to fall in September was on the 3rd when Private Jonah Hughes of the 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers was killed in action. His parents lived in Pengros, Llangyfelach, He is buried in Serre Road No 2 Cemetery towards the northern flank of the Somme battlefield. On the same day Private T Howells also of the 1st RWK was killed in action.
Another five Morriston men are known to fall on the Somme in September as the battle continues to take its toll.

Before moving on to them it might be a good point to dwell on a local regiment that several Morriston men are part of – the 14th Welsh or Swansea Pals. By now they have left the Somme area and are licking their wounds, which are very substantial and are having to do so against a background of criticism by the higher echelons for lacking dash (bravery) in the taking of Mametz Wood. Something which was unfair when compared with what happened in the Somme “Woods” battles to come and which will make the Generals eat their words when the regiment takes part in the 3rd Battle of Ypres in 1917 at Pilkem Ridge.

The book about the Swansea Pals was/is available from Morriston Library.

Found it !

Thomas Llewellyn Evans , William Hooper and David Griffiths William were killed in action on 12 July in the Battle of Mametz Wood.

Thomas ,26 , was a Lance Corporal in the 2nd Welsh Regiment and had lived at Horeb Road with parents David & Sarah Jane . 34 year old William served as private in the Swansea Pals ( 14th Welsh). He was the husband of Mary Jane and had lived at 60 Tirdu Street.

David left a widow Margaret Mary and was 29 when he died as a Private in the 10th Welsh. He had lived at 86 Glantawe St.

Of the three only Thomas has a known grave in Albert Communal and the other two are listed on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing.

Sergeant Emlyn James Williams of the 7th Kings Shropshire Light Infantry died on 14 July and he too has no known grave and is listed on the Thiepval Memorial. He had lived in 104 Woodfield St and was the son of Daniel & Harriet Ann

On the 15th 21st and 24th of September Edward Clark Pragnell, Robert Lawrence, Samuel Powell and Evan Llewellyn Evans were all killed in action.

Edward was a 20 year old Rifleman in the King’s Royal Riffles and son of Hugh and Jane Evans of 62 Waun Road, he is buried in Serre Road No 2 Cemetery.

Robert served with 6th Welsh Regiment ( Swansea’s territorial battalion) little else is known about him.

Grenadiers Samuel and Evan served with 2nd Grenadier Guards and both are listed on the Thiepval Memorial. Samuel left behind a widow Minnie Sophia who lived at 14 Waun Road, Evan’s connection with Morriston is unclear.

Only one Morriston man is known to have died in October 1916, he was Oswald Lawrence from his wounds He was 21 and a Private in the 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers and was the first Morriston man known to have been decorated, having received the Military Medal.

As November arrived the first Battle of the Somme drew to a close. The hundreds of thousands of casualties had achieved as much gain of ground as a car today can travel in 5 to 10 minutes. The Morriston fallen had paid for just a few inches of that with their lives.

A further three are known to fall in November itself. Firstly Corporal William Frederick Harris. He was killed in action on 11th while serving with the 13th Royal Rifle Brigade (Price Consorts Own) he had lodged at 31 Fisher Street and was 27 years old. He is listed on the Thiepval memorial.

Twenty two year old Private Sidney Davies also has no known grave after being killed in action on 13 November during the attack on Serre by the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Son of Thomas and Elizabeth he had lived at 38 Clyndu Street.

Able Seaman David Rees of the Hawke Battalion, Royal Naval Division died of wounds on 15th age 21. He is buried in Contray and was the son of Sarah and had lived at 34 Sunny Bank.

No further Morriston service men are known to have died in the remainder of 1916, but the scale of casualties are going to escalate in the remaining two years of the War.

In the Cambrian Daily Leader on 25 November 1916 there was a report on a meeting held in the Parish Hall. At the meeting it was reported that there were then over 1500 Morriston men serving in the armed forces.It was decided therefore that, unlike previous years, it would not be affordable to send Christmas gifts to men at the front in 1916, and so instead it was proposed to host a Christmas party for their wives and families and a collection had begun to raise funds.

As we enter a new year, back in 1917 around 1500 Morristonians were now serving. Up to the end of 1916 79 Morriston men are known to have fallen, of whom 68 are listed on the Morriston Park Memorial.
The first death in 1917 was on the 8 January when Private Ebeneezer Lloyd of 13 Springfield St died while serving with Welsh 11th Battalion in Greece.He is buried in Salonica( Lembert Road)Cemetery.

1 2