THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Morriston Archivist & Historian ANDRE SCOVILLE

I have a Morriston Archive of over 27,000 images and rare moving film on Morriston through the years.
The aim is to collect it all and hand it over to someone as enthusiastic as I am, when I'm elderly. I've just turned 40 so I have another 30 years of taking photos, collecting photos and preserving them.
I am always available to be contacted via my email address which is AndreMorriston@gmail.com or via Facebook.
My 6th book entitled Morriston Then & Now (IN FULL COLOUR) will hit the bookshops on 3rd February 2014 - Paperback - £14.99 - if you can't wait until then or want to see more than the book will offer, join me via my facebook group 'MorristonPeople'.

Morriston's never had such a young historian. I started when I was about 6 years old. I became 40 in 2012. I've got such a lot of experience and history behind me and so much to learn and record in the years that lie ahead. The archive is precious to me and to Morristonians all around the world (and if it isn't - it should be - as it is the only one to survive with the quantity and quality of photos it holds).

Facebook is great but isn't the best way to see the photographs in my Archive. I provide Powerpoint presentations and I am looking for a better way of showing my archive off to the people that appreciate what I do.

To those that support me, or want to support me - please carry on doing what you're doing. To those of you who don't support me for whatever reason; I think that is sad as my Morriston Archive will have nearly everyone's memories, photos, etc except yours. Everyone should be grateful I'm not in my 90s - too old to keep doing what I'm doing, and then it falling by the wayside.

Anyway, feel free to email me at any time if you want help with information, photographs or whatever I can do.

Andre Scoville (2013)

Website http://www.facebook.com/groups/MorristonPeople

Re: Morriston Archivist & Historian ANDRE SCOVILLE

Hi Andre, Morriston has a big Back Yard out in this small world. I have lived in Yellowknife, NWT, Canada for the past 46 years, I have a posting on The Forum since 2011 asking for Photos to be posted on Morriston of Yesteryear of any pictures of Morriston Fairground, I have and many others have shared their historical photos on this neat little Gallery but sadly we have never received any from you.You mentioned you were 40 years old, I am 71 years old am I going to see one before My Mortal Coil expires ????? Sincerly Merlyn.......

Hi Merlyn, Yes I already know about your feelings towards me regarding my extensive archive on Morriston and not sharing any of it on here. Please allow me to explain...
My first book was published well before this site existed. I was asking for photos to learn about Morriston in the 1970s when nothing published existed on the subject of Morriston.
Morriston Historical Society was set up without involving me in the slightest and so too was this site by people who think they can do it without me. Maybe they can with their memories but fortunately for me, I hold many dear photos of Morriston and having appealed for them over the years, many kind people of loaned or given me theirs.
My age often rubs people up the wrong way with the older generation but there is nothing I can do about it. My parents worked hard either paying for photos or asking people and promising they would get them back in the early days. They wanted me to build a collection that I so desperately needed in the 1970s. They didn't want me just giving them away so casually after all the hard work that was done to get them in the first place.
I'm sure I remember communicating with you after my first book was published when I was 16 but you never offered me any of your photographs at that time.
The two very little photos you did email me either last year or the year before were so small, they were the size of a postage stamp and therefore totally useless.
My "adopted" grandfather Morgan Tonen was a wonderful, kind and generous man. He realised how dedicated I was to Morriston and took me under his wing by teaching me dark-room skills and what he remembered about 'old Morriston'. He encouraged me to do what I felt comfortable with, something I have done for over 25 years now.
I have my own web pages on facebook with nearly 2500 people of all ages looking and commenting on the photos and partially, it is because of the way I present the photos on there. Some people have told me that they enjoy looking at my photos on there but would never have picked up a history book. This, I think is an achievement in itself. I help people on there who ask if I have this photo or that photo and I also help children who are researching Morriston for a school project or adults, professors studying for degrees or writing a thesis. Feel free to join me on facebook or look out for my next book in colour but I won't be sharing my photos here.
If you're still feel the same way as you did when you asked the question, as I think you might, then please ask Eleanor what she thinks about my work on facebook. As I know you are friends with each other.
Best wishes to you,
Andre

Hi Andre, You never contacted me when you were 16 years old, I did'nt know you even existed, I have lived in Yellowknife for the past 44 years and I learned of you about 11 years ago. At least you admit I did try to share some very old Photos of Graig School I sent to you about two years but you said they too small and were useless to you!!! Well they were precious to me and reminded me of my Halcyon Days in Morriston, so please do not accuse me of not sharing, I did!!!! Sincerely Merlyn..............

Hi Merlyn, you claimed you only had one photo - of boys standing around a table in Graig. I looked up what you sent me after I posted the last posting. It was one photo with an email saying you didn't have any more. However, on here you have posted more than one. Strange.
Anyway, you are indeed a very fortunate gentleman, you REMEMBER the Morriston Fair, you REMEMBER the Regal Cinema, you REMEMBER pre 1972. I don't as I wasn't born and I don't have any photos of Morriston Fair (I only wish I did) and I haven't any photos of the Regal (directly outside or inside) but at least you can remember what it all like.
I fought for all the photos I have. My site is facebook. I'm so sorry you feel this way but it is how you feel, not how I feel. It's very weird how two very good friends can feel so differently about someone. Eleanor is a terrific person who absolutely adores what I do on facebook, and yet you despise what I don't do on here. If you want to throw your toys out of the pram because you haven't seen a photo of Morriston fair to REMIND you how it used to be; please remember this: If I threw my toys out of the pram and 'demanded' to see photos, I'd be a very unpopular person with everyone and I'd be wasting precious time. You have my email address, you could have emailed me personally asking POLITELY if I had a photo of Morriston Fair. Nobody who sends me a rude email ever gets anything – and every time I get a rude email demanding to see photos – it is from someone retired who should know better.
One last thing, I'm not a selfish person. IF I had a photo of Morriston Fair, you absolutely would have seen it or at least Eleanor would have seen it by now. I've never seen one in over 30 years yet my Mum still speaks about it as she was brought up at Globe Street and the fair was right outside her house. A sight I would have loved to have seen myself. At least you can remember it.
Right, I'm off to see what polite emails and lovely comments I've got from people who appreciate my work on facebook.
I may be one of the people that will never ever see a photograph of Morriston Fair, but think how fortunate you are to remember it.
Best wishes to you
Andre

Hi Andre, This Forum is not for a ******* match, I have given you the true facts, it is time you gave yours.........

I agree it is not a (whatever) match so I would suggest you leave it go as I will be and leave some other people contact me when they want to say something NICE or INTERESTINGLY NICE.
If anyone wants to say something negative, well then, may I suggest that you be negative with someone else and not me because truthfully, I haven't got the time for it as I'm busy with the nice people and nice comments.
Thank you.
Andre

Yes you are correct, I only asked for one photo, and I sent you you four so lets leave it at that.......MW

I'm sorry Merlyn, but I can't leave you have the last word when its wrong. You sent me ONE photo from your pictures of boys around a table outside the grounds of Graig Infants School BUT YOU'RE ASKING ME FOR A PHOTO I HAVE NOT GOT !!!

This was the email you sent me on 24th August 2011:

Hi Andre, We have contacted before, the subject was the desecration of Horeb Chapel and graveyard back in 1999 or 2000. The above photo is the best I can do it was taken in 1947 Graig School Play yard, I had entitled it as "Little Engineers" the boy's in the picture left to right are John Lewis, Slate Street, Marlais Hughes, Crown Street, Gren Thomas, Lan Street, and Merlyn Williams, Lan Street, I regret I do not have anymore, but I can give you an e-mail of a person who does have more her name is Patricia Stokes and e-mail is xxxxxxxx @btinternet.com I have them but you can ask her if I can release them to you, Cheers Merlyn........

THEN on 27th October 2011 you sent me this email:

Hi Andre, I managed to find the photos from Pat Chapel, they are small in the first photo is right to left, Patricia Chapple, Margaret Mort, Marlais Hughes, the rest unknown. The next is in the school yard, date 1947 or 1948. The next is an Ambulance Dispatch located top of Tan Y Lan , Cheers Merlyn ...........

AND MY IMMEDIATE EMAIL BACK TO YOU WAS:

Hi Merlyn

Thank you for the email but unfortunately because the pictures are so small, I can't do anything with them after I crop them. [note for 26.01.2013 because all three were sent on the same scan]

Does Pat still have the originals or if you do - would you be able to scan them individually on 600 dpi for me please?

They are wonderful photographs as are the ones that you submitted to Jeff Lang on the Morriston Camera Site - if you have those at hand, I'd love to put them into the Morriston Archive too.

With best wishes

Andre

Back to now. JEFF PUT ON THE MORRISTON CAMERA CLUB SITE A FEW PHOTOS FROM YOU because he says they were sent in from Merlyn Williams (and they were not Pat's pictures). However, you say you only have the one of Graig School. So something is amiss here.

However, I don't lie when I say I haven't got a photograph of Morriston Fair.

Best wishes,
Andre

Hi Mervyn and Andre

I have found your “exchange” enlightening and thought provoking.

I have only come to the forum latterly and it is more for a nostalgic journey around a place where I used to live, which I think is what Mervyn wants from it too.

I am familiar with your published work Andre, and occasionally it provides the opportunity for a Christmas stocking filler. I had not realised how you got into a hobby and the support you got from your family, which I see you acknowledge. As a teenager before I left Morriston I used to be interested in the relics of the old town and industry and enjoyed walking and playing amongst them, something that has never left me.

I admire the way you have developed a hobby into commercial enterprise, I know not what that scale might be; but it was something else you said that resonated with me , as a social pictorial historian you are looking at something you did not have the chance to enjoy first hand. I daresay a sixteen year old today will envy you similarly someday looking back in the day at the turn of the century. By the way please do not think being 70 years old will mean you will be limited in what you can do, far from it!

Like Mervyn I have been baffled by the forum , established under the umbrella of a camera club, that is in itself is restricted in its opportunity to exchange photos. But now I understand.

Without a picture of the fair on the quoit ground, I can see it , the layout was pretty much the same each year. It is an image that comes to mind whenever I hear the song “Theme for a Dream” by Cliff Richard (not often I admit) which must have been a favourite of the dodgems operator, who must have played it every other record one night I went there in the 1960s!!What brings it back to mind for you Mervyn? Perhaps we can have "fair thread"!!

I intend to make contact with you Andre because there is something I am interested in that I think we could collaborate on, if you are interested.

Len

Feel free to get in touch Len.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Andre

PS Len, without scrolling back to see what I've written, I have a 6th book out soon in full colour called Morriston Then & Now. I have a large following on facebook and I am making plans for a permanent website to show off a lot of my photographs (albeit without Morriston Fair unfortunately!).

Hi Andre

You mention MF and "....theme for a dream ...." it works both ways!

I will be in touch as soon as I can.

Len

Thank you Len for your sincere interest into my interest in the Morriston Forum, you remind me of me, I have watched your interest in the War Memorial Cenotaph at Morriston Park and it is commendable, two of my Uncles are on that Cenotaph, W Williams & R Williams, sadly they were killed two weeks apart in 1917, a good friend of mine is working on getting a Memorial set up to Honour the Supreme Sacrifice made by the Brave Welshmen in Europe in the First World War. Len this is a Forum to share fond and sad memories not an E-Bay Factory for selling Books Like E-Bay & Amazon, Sincerely Merlyn...........

Hi Mervyn
I guess we have similar interests.

Sadly my postings about the War Memorial have focused on what I do not know rather than what I do know, and I am trying to find ways of sharing more of that.

Your two uncles are an example.

Brothers William (Will) and Richard lived in 41 Lan St.
Will died on 4 June 1916 near Laventie, France. He took part in the Lieutenant Corker Raid. A detailed account of the raid and Will’s death is given in Bernard Lewis’ book about the Swansea Pals (14th Welsh) pages 89-92. There is a photograph of the two brothers in the book, so I guess your family may be in touch with Bernard Lewis. Does Hedley Morris mean anything to you?

Richard died just over a year later on 6 July 1917 while serving with the Kings Liverpool Regiment (13th) I cannot work out what action he was involved in because it was the day before his regiment moved to the front at Ypres in readiness for their part in the Battle of Pilkem Ridge (as part of the Battle of Paaschendele). Had they survived ,your uncles would have fought alongside each other because the Swansea Pal also fought in the Battle of Pilkem Ridge.

I wonder if Andre has a copy of a photo taken of Lloyd George’s visit to Morriston during or just after the war and knows where on Woodfield St his speech took place?

HI Len
Yes, I have four photographs of Lloyd George in Morriston. He stood outside Pompa's Cafe and Billy Hole's on Morriston Cross on a built-up platform with thousands (no exaggeration) of troops and Morristonians there to listen to him. No microphones so when he spoke, I would assume you would have heard a pin drop!

Email me and we can discuss it further.

Andre

AndreMorriston@gmail.com

Thank you for that Andre I have had a look at the buildings now on Google Maps ( Francis's) and the grainy version in Bernard Lewis' Book and can make out the likeness of the windows etc.

The photo I have seen suggest the Lloyd George had cracked a joke as everyone seems to be laughing!

So would your photos show more of the crowds.

Hi Len,
The four I have are:
1. Lloyd George arriving in a horse-drawn carriage and being met by women
2. A photo of Lloyd George getting ready to address the crowds
3. The photo you mention that he has just cracked a joke and the crowds seem to be championing him on.
4. A photo taken from outside The Cross Inn towards the original Lamb & Flag of the troops - all photos are of the back of the crowds unfortunately.

I have just located another one (making this a 5th) taken from the platform in the direction of the white washed cottages / shops that are now the art-deco New Cross Buildings. It shows Lloyd George and the crowd although this photo isn't as clear as the others mentioned above.

Andre

Hi andre

Just seen the fifth photo too ,incredible the number of people sitting on the cottage roofs to get a view!!

It seems to be 1918 or 1919 and probably after victory.

There should be a plaque!!!

It was such a big day in Morriston's history. If you had a head for heights, then yes, the best view was on your roof. They can just about put a plaque for Ivor Sims (hidden on the library wall on Pentrepoeth Road) but at least it's there.

Perhaps the estate agents etc in the buildings today could pay for one!

Where on the wall is the Ivor Sims was it for a centenary or something?

Merlyn

Thought of you when I came across the photo of the dodgems at Morriston Fair at http://www.flickr.com/photos/12456031@N05/8338503989/

It is from a collection of photos taken by John B Davies, a talented photographer, which are not just confined to Morriston ,although there is one of a Bayliss Ice Cream van.

Hi Len, So nice you are keeping in touch, I do not go on this site too often, but I noticed a #20 hit on this site so I figured it was a Refreshing for you address me, and yes I do have a copy of John B Jones Photo of Bumper Cars at the Morriston Fairground and I will be asking John permission to post it on The Morriston Camera Club Morriston of Yesteryear, having said that Len please stay in touch. From now on we will communicate Via your personal e-mail, A small up date Me & my wife will be visiting Wales arriving 2nd April depart 16th May and I am looking forward to meeting you!!!! A FRIEND!!!!!!!!

Merlyn Have you tried this contact

http://www.natt.org.uk/organisation/showmens-guild-south-wales-northern-ireland-section

You could have a side show with trained birds.

Yes I have Len, it was interesting, cheers Merlyn.......

Hi Mervyn

I hope the fires have subsided! I did not know what you meant back in 2013 but I do today of all days.

Hi Len, this was the worst year for Forrest Fires on record, this was due to the fact we did not receive any significant snowfall this winter and no rain in the Spring or Summer, we had over 300 Forrest fires on the go, the biggest was the Birch Lake fire that covered over 33,000 Sq Klms that is one & a half times the size of Wales, they had to close the #3 Highway out of YK and we saw empty shelves of produce in our stores, some Airlines were stranded in YK due to the lack of Aviation Fuel but happy to say things have settled down now, Cheers Merlyn .....