THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mathias Heine later known as Mathew Haeney died 1896-buried Seion Newydd Chapel Church Yard

Mathias was my gg grandfather. All I know about him is: He was born in Prussia, his father's name was Anton Heine and he was a tailor. Mathias married Mary Jacob of Llangafelach? in 1869. The family changed their name from Heine to Haeney. He was a spelter man, I do not know which company he worked for. I cannot find anything which points specifically to him on passenger lists and the first census he is shown on is that of 1871. I have been told he may have been brought out from Prussia by his employer on one of the ships carrying zinc ore from Prussia to Wales.Although my g grandfather and family moved to Australia in the early 1900s I still have family in the Swansea/Morriston area, however none of the family seems to know anything about him.

What I would like to know is how he got to Wales, which company he worked for and if anyone knows which town in Prussia he came from. Some family members suggested Munich, others Berlin. I have also been told it is likely he was from Silesia as that is where most of the ore was shipped from. Supposedly a friend of his came to Wales with him, his name was Joseph Seif (Sief, Seef) however I can find nothing on him until he appears on a census living with Mathew and Mary much later on.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Regards Helen