Return to Website

Fremont Ross Class of 1985

Fremont Ross Class of 1985
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
home page and Is it home anymore?

The home page looks great. After reading it, it gave me a lot to think about. Over the summer, in July, I was in Fremont for my brothers wedding reception. I ran into Jody (Smith) Lenz and caught up on years of info. (gossip). I usually don't keep up on things like that. But the more we talked, the more I realized that living in Columbus IS my home. Even though I spent 19 years in Fremont, and most of my family is there, it just isn't home anymore. It's fun to go visit for the weekend and run into people I
went to school with and do some cathing up. But I am glad I moved away. It's like the old saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

How about anyone else who made a move away from Fremont? Are you glad you made a move, do you wish you would have stayed or do you think you will go back some day?

Re: home page and Is it home anymore?

I have thought about what you wrote. I agree in many ways. I love to go back home because I get to see my family and a few friends. When I go back I always think I want to move back, but then I start to think about it.

1. I'd have to leave things here...but then again I'd gain seeing my family much more often. This may seem like a minus but when you have lived over 2,000 miles away from your family for over 10 years, you wish you could see them more. I have not spent Christmas with my family in 6 years. (retail will do that if you live long distances)
2. It's cold there.
3. It's cold there.
4. It's cold there....

I grew up in Lindsey and alway dreamed of the day I could move away from that small town. Amazingly enough, I wish could have that small town feeling back. Yet I don't want to give up my "Big City" conviences...grocery store 2 minutes away...2 Targets 3 minutes away..etc.

My husband and I used to talk about moving back until we had to go back 2 years ago in January. I asked him "do you still want to move back here?" I go a great big "NO!" It never got above 20 degrees and the day of my grandma's funeral the wind chill was -6.

I do agree with "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

In some ways I wish I would have stayed but in other ways I'm glad I did move away. Because up until 91/92 I would go to Fremont once or twice a year to spend time with my Grandmother and when she passed away the last tie that I had was gone. So when I say that Fremont is "home" it's only because I was raised there. Debbie and I may move back after BillyJack, Josh, and Tesa graduate from HS. Because Debbie said that she wouldn't mind seeing the twins graduate from Ross and get out of this hot dry West Texas climate.
Bill

Re: Re: home page and Is it home anymore?

I guess it is easier for me to say that Columbus is home now and Fremont no longer feels like home because I am only a few hours away and still in Ohio. You know it's that love-hate relationship with Ohio. If there was no winter, or just a very short one, I would love it even more. Bill, where are you in Texas. My brother lives in Conroe. He has been there for about 5 years. He would love to come back to Ohio. He misses his family and the fishing.

I love being in a big city. Stores open 24 hours and some pharmacys too. The choice of schools, public and private and the exposure to so many cultures.

My husband shocked me the other day with, "I'm tired of my job, I should quit and we could move to Fremont and I can work with your brother." I told him me and the kids would visit him once a month! He just laughed. He is the opposite of me, her grew up in Columbus and would love to live in a small town.

Re: Re: Re: home page and Is it home anymore?

I know what you mean about living in the city. The conveniences are hard to give up. Like I said, I love that I have 7 grocery stores within 5 minutes of my apartment(2 are 2 minutes away). I have a Target & Super Target within 5 minutes...Sam's...and gas stations. My family has to drive into Fremont to get gas.

If I had kids I wouldn't want to live in the city. Unfortunately with the world the way it is today, you almost feel as if you can't leave your kids alone. (fyi...the Amber alert originated here in the DFW area.)

I look back at our education and now having heard and seen what goes on at other schools...I wonder did we get as good as we could have gotten? My husband went to a really good school in California and he picks on me all the time. I don't care. I still love my school.

My husband always says "when we win the lottery" (I won't hold my breath), we'll build a house in Lindsey and live there in the part-time...or build an apartment above my parent's garage. That's the only way we are going to move back.

It very odd....I grew saying "when I grow up I'm moving away from here to California" I wanted a warm place because I hated the cold. I did move to California and couldn't wait to move back home...but then again I lived one or more of my in-laws for 6 years. I love them but they drive me nuts. I miss the winters.

I'm starting to settle now. I just wish I could get back more often. I need my own private jet...need to win the lottery.

If I hadn't left I don't think I would have experienced as much as I have.

You know they say the grass is always greener on the other side. When you're growing up the grass is always greener any other place than where you are.

Re: Re: Re: Re: home page and Is it home anymore?

Wendy I do know where Conroe is but that's closer to where Debbie and I use to live in Nacogdoches which is about 600 miles east of where we are at now. The only reason I really would like to go back to Fremont is the summers here in Odessa are real hot the first summer we were out here it was 109 on May 15th when July come around we had the hottest temp on record for July at 125 so I would love the 70 and 80 degree temps in the summer up there. Now winter thats another story we only got about 5 inches of snow this year and it was gone by afternoon.
The subject of education my oldest 3 have been home schooled for the last 4 years because some kid in my oldest Billyjacks class brought a loaded 45 automatic to school and fired a round into the ceiling. I pulled all of them out the next day. And personal opinion I think they are getting a better education than I got(nothing against the teachers we had I was just a slacker and really didn't give **** a the time now I regret it.) And the kids got to go places with me when I was still driving truck that most kids only get to see in books like Devils tower, Rushmore, just to name a few.
The last time I was in Fremont was 2 years ago and to this day I still laugh about it. I had Debbie and Tesa with me and I had to unload someplace in Bellevue or Clyde can't really remember. We stopped in Fremont before going to unload I didn't really recognize anything with all of the building that has gone on. Imagine my surprise when I saw that Fremont had a Wal-mart. But that's not the funny part about this story. Where I unloaded you had to check in at the gate with the security guard. Well I took my paperwork in and I really wasn't in a good mood after driving 3 days from Santa Fe, NM. I set my paperwork down on the counter and was talking to my dispatcher for another load. And I hear someone say "What the F**k are you doing here!" I looked up and it was my exwife. Tesa had walked in right as she said this to give me my logbook and as they say out of the mouths of babes she says "Sounds like someone needs a timeout." and walked out. I had a hard time keeping my composure to Tesa's comment. Thats my humor for tonight.
Bill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: home page and Is it home anymore?

I lived in Fremont until '01 and don't think I would ever want to live there again. It's nice to visit, but that's about it. The kids have been exposed to so much more than Fremont can ever offer. Not to mention that there are not enough jobs there for Chuck in Nuclear Technology unless ya wanna work at Bessie. We lived in Charleston, SC for 4 years and I would love to go back to that area. As for the weather..I really hate the snow. We have had 5 months of snow here in Connecticut! Yes, a warmer climate is better.

When I left Fremont for South Carloina in 1991 it was "good riddance". Now after being gone 14 years and getting married and having our daughter I miss some of the things being in the area would allow. It saddens me that we can't run to Grandma's and Grandpa's to visit or do overnights. I remember hopping in my dad's truck with him and my brothers and heading out to the farm in Lindsey to play and see our cousin hwo lived next door. They had chickens and at different points a pony, goats, and sheep. I still remember the times when we watched the sheep and goats give birth. Grossed me out enough that I was 30 before I ever thought of trying that myself. I remember the 2 hours ride to Marysville to my other grandparents and asking my dad's favorite question, "How many more towns?" Our daughter's grandparents live in Fremont and Anchorage, AK-not too conducive for building family relationships. At least with my parents we let her spend 3-5 weeks there in the summer so they can bond and make wonderful memories that she can always carry with her (besides the added bonus of being spoiled rotten by her Uncle Eric and Aunt Tammy). When Madi was young I missed being able to call mom for help when motherhood gave me more challenges than I thought I could handle. At holiday time we miss the opportunity for family gatherings...we often spend them doing home or yard improvements. Sometimes we go with friends that "adopt" us as family, but it isn't the same as our own. I guess we make sacrifices when we decide to uproot ourselves, don't we? As a family we look at opportunities for relocating back to Ohio. Michael has found a few but they haven't met salary requirements yet. Who knows what the future will bring? And if it keeps us here?? Well, Madi has had wonderful opportunities to see Charleston, SC and all the history our state has to offer with its rich background as well as many places in GA and NC. And in the summer she gets the best that Ohio has to offer with her grandparents. And in between we spend time with her paternal great grandparents in WV and enjoy the "country roads" and "mountain mamas".

All part of the transient society we have become.
Laura