Return to Website

Fremont Ross Class of 1985

Fremont Ross Class of 1985
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It's that time of the year again.

The Little Giants regular season opens Friday at Perrysburg.

Check the News Messenger online for updates... http://thenews-messenger.com

Little Giants drop opener

Fremont Ross got off to a sluggish start against Perrysburg at Bowling Green State University's Doyt Perry Stadium last night. Unfortunately for the Little Giants, just when their offense got rolling, so did the thunder.

A pass deflection and interception by Zack Hefner with 2:15 to go in the fourth quarter put Perrysburg ahead for good on a rainy opener, closing out a three-and-a-half hour game with a 20-14 win.

An hourlong delay held up the game in the middle of the second quarter with Perrysburg leading 14-7. The game resumed just before 9:30 p.m.

Before the rain it was all Perrysburg. Capitalizing on an early interception by the Yellow Jackets' Corey Szczublewski, Taylor Dimmerling ran 94 yards on the next play to get his team off to a quick 7-0 lead. Dimmerling had rushed for 130 yards in a quarter and a half when play was suspended.
After a three-and-out from Fremont, Perrysburg used their potent ground game to extend the lead. Led by Dimmerling, the Yellow Jackets tallied four first downs before Derrick Garcia capped off the drive with a three-yard score on a quarterback keeper. That touchdown put Perrysburg up 14-0 at the end of the first quarter.

After some offensive struggles from both sides, Fremont Ross quarterback Cody Foos got his team into a rhythm. Foos efficiently ran the no-huddle offense and kept Perrysburg on its heels despite increasing rain. Foos hit both Terence Davis and Ryan Croudup-Levario for 20-plus yard pass plays to keep the chains moving at key times. Tyler Hull punched it in from the 1-yard line to get the Little Giants to within seven.

And that's when the storms rolled in.

The teams eventually resumed play, finishing up the first half in just over two hours' time.

With more bad weather looming, Ross was out to even the score early and pick up where they left off. The Little Giants used special teams to claw their way back to a tie, started off by punter Bobby Gipe, who pinned Perrysburg inside their own five-yard line with a 55-yard punt. Despite a fumble on the five-yard line by Foos, the Little Giants recovered to take advantage of the field position one possession later.

Ross's Justin Hines evened the score at 14 when he broke through the Perrysburg offensive line to block, recover and then score on Garcia's punt attempt. It was the first of two kicks blocked by Hines. That score evening things up at 14-14.

Most of the fourth quarter was played on Ross's side of the field, but their defense held strong by keeping Dimmerling and the rest of Perrysburg ground game contained momentarily. While quarterback Matt Slocum provided a quick spark for Perrysburg's passing game, penalties plagued the team at critical points.

That was when Hefner's key interception changed the game for good.

Ross had one final chance to turn the tide of the game but their attempt came up short when Jordan Jones was unable to handle a pass from Foos on fourth and long.

Fittingly, the game finished with lightning in the sky as Perrysburg kneeled its way to a 1-0 record.

Dimmerling paced the Yellow Jackets, finishing with 172 yards rushing in all. Foos was the offensive standout for Ross, passing for 68 yards on 18 attempts.

ROSS 23 TOLEDO WHITMER 21

According to the folks who post on Fremont Ross Forum, this game was a classic. Check out the posts here:

http://p067.ezboard.com/ROSS-23-TOLEDO-WHITMER-21/fthefremontrossforumfrm1.showMessage?topicID=2737.topic

A great start to the season

Ross wins another game.

Ross breezes past Tornadoes
By KEVIN YANIK
Sports Writer

FREMONT -- Ross senior Deondray Brown figured he was lining up for a routine punt from his team's own 6-yard line.

But the next thing Brown knew, he was wide open along the right side for a reception on a fake punt, a play that essentially sunk Tiffin Columbian on the way to a 35-7 win at Don Paul Stadium.

"I wasn't expecting it," said Brown, who made the play with his team clinging to a 21-7 lead early in the fourth quarter. "I got on the line and looked up, and all of a sudden the ball was in the air and I caught it."

The play was key because a punt would have given the Tornadoes the ball, likely with good field position and a chance to pull within one score. Instead, the Little Giants took advantage of Brown's 33-yard reception on fourth down and raced down the field for another score.
James Spencer scored the touchdown that gave Ross its 28-7 advantage, and that kind of lead allowed the Little Giants to breathe a bit easier as the game approached a close.

"I can't take credit for [the fake punt]," Ross coach Derek Kidwell said. "Brad Woleslagel is going to take credit for that. He just threw the ball to [Brown]. I'm a gambler, but I ain't that crazy.

"Plus, to go 99 yards on that was huge."

None of Ross' drives matched that one in length, but quarterback Cody Foos led the Little Giants into the end zone on two first-half drives.

Just like last week, the Little Giants jumped ahead from the start. The team's first drive stalled and ended with a punt, but Ross still took a 7-0 lead late in the first.

Foos capped that first scoring drive with a 48-yard pass to Ryan Croudup-Levario, who caught a pass around the 25-yard line, juked left around a defender and sprinted into the end zone.

The Little Giants added to their lead in the second on another short drive. This one went just six plays, and it ended when Terence Davis -- all 6 feet, 4 inches of him --caught a pass from Foos in the right corner of the end zone. Foos placed the pass perfectly --over a defender and into Davis' arms -- for a 14-0 advantage.

"We've got a height advantage with [Davis], and we try to take advantage with it," Kidwell said. "He had a huge play down the sideline (a potential 85-yard touchdown) that got called back because of a penalty, but we've been expecting Terence Davis to make a lot of these plays for us.

"And I think we'll hear a lot more from Terence."

Later in the first half, the Tornadoes tried to chip into their 14-point deficit. They actually moved into the red zone twice, but Ross' defense stalled Columbian's drives at the 9- and 5-yard lines without touchdowns.

The Tornadoes finally reached the end zone in the third. They put a 19-play, eight-minute drive together and finished it with a 1-yard touchdown.

Fortunately for Ross, that 14-7 margin was as close as Columbian got.

"(After) they punched it in, it was huge for our offense to come back and answer," Kidwell said. "They didn't have a safety in the middle of the field, so we ran a deep post route on them. DJ Brown made a huge catch.

"Our sophomore quarterback (Foos) had a lot of poise tonight, and it was huge for us to do that."

Foos finished his second start 9-for-17 passing with 158 yards. He also ran nine times for 70. Spencer led the Little Giants with 92 yards on 20 carries.

And, of course, Brown had that game-changing 33-yard reception from Woleslagel.

"I was just sitting there," Brown said, "and he was like get out there. I turned around, and the ball was right there in my face."

----------

Re: A great start to the season

Did we play this last week?

Re: Re: A great start to the season

Oh they played last week.....but I'm sorry..I couldn't bring myself to post the game info this week.

We lost to Cleveland Benedictine 30-0. I couldn't believe it....and then Michigan won on Saturday...ruined my weekend..

You know...I think the sports writer for the Messenger is not a Ross fan. The head line to the story about the game was "Bengals run all over Little Giants"....win or lose, you should write that about your home team.

FREMONT -- Sophomore quarterback Cody Foos pounded his fist on the turf at Don Paul Stadium as his pass to Kameron Allicock sailed high in the fourth quarter.

The incompletion wasn't necessarily a game-changing one. It was simply a reminder that Friday night was all Benedictine, which handed the Little Giants a 30-0 loss.

"They're a pretty good football team," Ross coach Derek Kidwell said, "but I thought we would come out and compete a little harder. Guys on the offensive line got a little frustrated, and we got a little one-dimensional on offense."

The Bengals (4-0) were the same way offensively, but they scored enough points early with the run to keep the Little Giants from mounting a rally. Before the Little Giants could even blink, junior tailback Anthony Urbania took the first play from scrimmage 68 yards down the right sideline for a touchdown and a 7-0 Ross deficit.
"I'm just disappointed," Kidwell said. "I thought we came out flat. There's no excuse for him going untouched on the first play of the game."

Things only got worse in that first quarter, though. After Ross went three-and-out on its first drive, the Bengals put a short, five-play drive together and punched another score in from five yards out.

Again, Urbania made the touchdown. He finished with 160 rushing yards on 22 carries.

From there, the Little Giants (2-2) allowed a first-half field goal to fall behind 17-0, but they moved the ball to Benedictine's 2-yard line early in the second quarter.

Ross just couldn't punch it in.

"I think if we score down at that goal line we have a whole different game," Kidwell said. "We have a holding penalty by a senior, and then we had a bad snap that takes us out of everything."

To Bengals coach Art Bortnick, the goal-line stand was a game-saver.

"What a tremendous goal-line stand there on defense before the half," he said. "When we kept them out of the end zone, it was an excellent momentum swing for us."

That drive was Ross's best shot at a score. In the third, with a 17-point deficit still in-hand, the Little Giants were forced to rely more on the pass.

But their passes went mostly for naught. Foos had multiple throws batted down at the line, and he threw a pair of second-half interceptions -- including one Josh Lewis returned for a 33-yard touchdown.

"I think this will be a good learning experience for Cody Foos," Kidwell said. "There's some things that you can do, some things you can't do."

Defensively, Kidwell was mostly pleased with his players.

"I thought we came out as a totally different team in the second half," he said. "Defensively, our team played well enough the last three quarters to give us a chance to win. Our offense didn't show up too much tonight."

----------

E-mail Kevin Yanik at kyanik@fremont.gannett.com

Re: It's that time of the year again.

I'd say they redeemed themselves, however the article does say Lorain Southview has been winless.

Little Giants march over Saints
By KEVIN YANIK
Sports Writer

FREMONT -- Sophomore quarterback Cody Foos stood and watched the first eight-plus minutes of Friday night's game against Lorain Southview.

His team's defense and special teams did him the favor.

Jordan Jones and Deondray Brown staked Foos and Fremont Ross to an early 14-point lead with a fumble recovery and punt return, and the Little kept the Saints winless with a 47-0 shutout at Don Paul Stadium.

"That really picked up our offense knowing we had points on the board," said Foos, whose team completed its non-conference schedule with a 3-2 record. "We just had to keep going off that."
Once Foos took the field, he stretched the Little Giants' two-touchdown lead to 27 points by halftime. In the second quarter, he made a completion to Terence Davis around the 20, and he scampered into the end zone for a 36-yard touchdown that gave Ross a 20-point lead.

Foos added a second touchdown pass before the half. This time he hit Anthony Walker on a swing pass for a 9-yard score, and that essentially squashed Southview's hopes at 27-0.

"We knew they were a struggling program," Ross coach Derek Kidwell said. "We were more concerned this week about Fremont Ross than Lorain. I thought our defense was outstanding."

It certainly was. The Little Giants held the Saints (0-5) to 33 total yards offensively, and they forced 15 rushing plays for negative yardage.

Overall, the Saints rushed for -5 yards. The Little Giants were just as successful defending the pass, though, as Southview's two quarterbacks managed just three completions for 38 yards.

Those numbers should boost Fremont's confidence after its 30-0 setback a week ago to Benedictine, but Kidwell knows Greater Buckeye Conference opponents will pose greater challenges than Southview.

"To be in the GBC and do the things we want to do, we've got to be able to run the ball," he said. "We've got to be able to keep our defense on the sidelines some more. I've got confidence in Cody Foos, but I don't want to have to throw the ball 40 or 50 times a game to win a football game. I like to have a balanced offense."

Foos was a huge part of Kidwell's offense Friday night. He completed 10-of-15 pass for 247 yards and a career-high four touchdowns. Davis caught two of those, Walker a third and Ryan Croudup-Levario a fourth.

Ryan Quick added a late third-quarter touchdown on a 1-yard run, and Brown had that early touchdown --a 51-yard punt return --that gave the Little Giants a 14-0 lead.

Brown, who fumbled twice against the Saints, redeemed himself with the play.

"He had some nice blocks on that, and that's what we expect out of our playmakers."

Returns like Brown's take pressure off of Kidwell's offensive players, too.

"Before we step on the field, we're up 14-0," Kidwell said. "So the need to go down and score right away isn't as big as if it's 0-0."

35-21 victory in their Greater Buckeye Conference opener.

Robertson returns, runs Ross up to 4-2
By KEVIN YANIK
Sports Writer

LIMA -- And here's to you, Durand Robertson. Fremont loves you more than you will know.
The Little Giants are especially loving Robertson, a senior tailback, after his Friday night performance against Lima Senior. He made his first career start at tailback against the Spartans and carried the Little Giants to a 35-21 victory in their Greater Buckeye Conference opener.

Robertson finished his outing with 21 carries for 112 yards and a career-high four touchdowns, as his team improved to 4-2 overall, 1-0 in the GBC.
"My goal today was to get in 20 carries," Little Giants Coach Derek Kidwell said. "We got in 21. He's going to be a big key to our success because he takes pressure off of (sophomore quarterback Cody) Foosie. We didn't have to rely on throwing the ball tonight.

The Spartans dictated the tempo at the get-go, running some clock and pinning the Little Giants deep in their own territory. The strategy could have been a winning one, but it only worked for so long for Lima Senior.

For on Lima's second drive, senior Kameron Allicock intercepted quarterback Joshua Eley's pass and returned it to his team's 42-yard line.

From there, the Little Giants put together their longest drive of the first half. Robertson handled five of the nine plays, Foos made a key scramble of 18 yards and Terence Davis hauled in a 21-yard pass for a 7-0 Ross lead early in the second quarter.

Less than two minutes later, the Little Giants added a second score to stretch their lead to 14-0. They forced Lima to punt after a three-and-out, and senior Deondray Brown gave his team field position at the 5 after a mad dash down the left sideline.

"They've been solid all year," Kidwell said of his special teams. "Anytime you have a Terence Davis and Deondray Brown back there returning and the other nine get in the right areas, we can take it a long way."

Two plays after Brown's return, Robertson punched the first of his four scores in from one yard out.

He scored his second touchdown shortly thereafter. Junior Jordan Jones made an interception off a tipped pass to set the Little Giants up at the 20.

Robertson only needed one play this time to put Ross up 21-0, spinning out of two tackles for a 20-yard touchdown.

Ross gave up its first touchdown on Lima's next drive. The Spartans used 10 plays to work their way into the end zone, as backup quarterback Jermonte Healey scrambled in from 15 yards out on third down.

That cut the Little Giants' lead to 14 points, but Robertson scored twice more in the third to give Ross a 35-7 advantage. His team started the half with the ball, and it drove 73 yards downfield over 14 plays and 6-plus minutes for its touchdown.

Robertson scored that one from six yards out, and he added a five-yard touchdown before the third quarter closed. He never imagined his first start at tailback would include four touchdowns though.

"I wasn't thinking about touchdowns," Robertson said. "I was just ready to go out there and show them what I could do."

Robertson's offensive line of course, had a huge hand at his success.

"We challenged the offensive line, this week in practice," Kidwell said, "and it was great to see the offensive line play like it did."

Stuffed conversion lifts Ross

FREMONT -- Findlay's Matt Alexander ran on Fremont Ross all night.

He just couldn't find the end zone when Findlay needed it most.

The Little Giants allowed 209 yards rushing and two touchdowns on 40 carries to Alexander, who was stuffed on a potential game-tying two-point conversion in the final two minutes of a 29-27 Ross victory.

"It was huge," said Ross coach Derek Kidwell of the missed two-point conversion. "If they get it, they put us in a bind with 1:08 left."
The Little Giants (4-2 overall, 2-0 Greater Buckeye Conference) actually had the game in hand early when they held a 14-0 first-quarter lead and a 23-14 lead at half. But the Trojans (1-6, 1-1) kept on running Alexander, and they eventually pulled within two after Jimmy Davidson hauled in an 8-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Eric Gilbert.

The Little Giants allowed that touchdown with 1:36 remaining, and a pair of missed extra points gave the Trojans a chance to tie the game with a two-point conversion.

Fortunately for Ross, Findlay missed it.

"We thought they were going to throw the ball to Davidson, to be honest with you," Kidwell said. "We were preparing for that. They had success on the side running the ball on us all night, so I just think it was a collaboration of all the defensive linemen's tension and linebackers filling the gaps."

The defense did its part on that play and throughout the first quarter, which gave Ross quarterback Cody Foos a chance to make some plays and give his team an early lead.

Foos found Terence Davis across the middle on Fremont's very first drive, and he sprinted into the end zone standing even after a Trojans defender caught up with him around the 8-yard line.

That touchdown gave the Little Giants a 7-0 lead less than five minutes into the game. They went ahead, 14-0, six minutes later.

This time, Durand Robertson set up the Ross touchdown with a 27-yard run down the left sideline. He scored from two yards out on his next play.

The lead, at the time, seemed like a safe one, but the Trojans crept back into it behind Alexander's runs. Those led to a pair of lengthy first-half drives, including one capped by Davidson's first touchdown pass at the 7:11 mark of the second.

Robertson scored on Fremont's next drive to pad his team's lead again, but the Trojans convincingly marched down the field before half and scored. The Little Giants, at least, added a field goal with their two-minute offense before the half, and those points wound up making a difference.

"Being aggressive at the end of the first half won us that game," Kidwell said. "That was a huge there points at the end of the half for us."

The Little Giants only scored six more points in the second half, as the Trojans made a couple of defensive stops to keep themselves in the game.

They had enough to pull within those two deciding points. The Trojans just couldn't make the tie.

"I'm very proud of the way our kids battled," said Trojans coach Mark Ritzler. "We had a couple of chances where we thought we had a chance to tank it. A chance to fold.

"But we didn't."

Kidwell agreed, and he gave the Trojans credit afterward.

"They could have folded," he said. "With the season they've had, they could have packed it in. They played with a lot of pride."

So did the Little Giants, whose defense sealed another victory to keep Fremont's postseason -- and Greater Buckeye Conference -- hopes alive.

Ross assasinates the Presidents

Ross rolls over Presidents
By BOB PUTMAN
Gannett News Service

MARION -- Fremont Ross sophomore quarterback Cody Foos helped the Little Giants stay on track for a possible Greater Buckeye Conference title and a berth in post-season play.

Foos threw for three touchdowns and ran for two other scores as Fremont Ross defeated Harding 34-13 Friday night at Harding Stadium.

"Foos threw and ran very well," Harding head coach Heath Hinton said. "He had good control of the offense."

Foos completed 19 of 28 passes for 190 yards while rushing for another 47 yards on 13 carries. His rushing total suffered as Harding nose guard Mike Scott sacked Foos three times for a loss of 19 yards and Tyler Chambers put him on the ground for another six yards.
Fremont Ross (6-2 overall, 3-0 GBC) scored touchdowns on two of its first three possessions, relieving any fears Little Giants head coach Derek Kidwell might have had that his team was overlooking the Presidents (1-7, 0-3) and toward next week's encounter with Napoleon.

"We have enough seniors on the team that will not let us overlook Harding," Kidwell said. "I knew if we were able to set up our game plan we would be OK."

Kidwell was a little disappointed with his team's play in the third quarter, but gave Harding credit for coming out of halftime chat and playing strong.

"We like to win every quarter and we may have relaxed a little in the second half," Kidwell said. "But Marion has shown the make up to come out and play well in the second half."

The Presidents posted the only score in the third quarter on a 34-yard field goal by Tyler Winger, capping a more than seven-minute drive by Harding. It was Winger's second field goal of the game as the senior booter became Harding's all-time leader in field goals with 16, surpassing the old mark of 14 set by Jeremy Krausz.

Fremont Ross got back on track in the fourth quarter. One play after the Little Giants recovered a Harding fumble, Foos hit Ryan Damman for a 20-yard touchdown and on their next possession Foos scored on a 5-yard run.

"We thought we could keep the ball away from them," Hinton said. "But that was not the way it worked out."

Hinton cited turnovers, two fumbles and an interception, that put the Harding defense in a hole. "The turnovers gave them a short field," Hinton said.

The Little Giants found some open passing lanes in the first half as Foos completed 12 of 20 passes for 132 yards.

"We thought we could come out and beat them with the pass," Kidwell said.

Foos completed a pair of touchdown tosses in the opening half, a 22-yard strike to Ryan Croudup-Levario in the first quarter and a 23-yard completion to Deondray Brown. Foos also scored Fremont's first touchdown, scrambling for a 30-yard score on the Little Giants' first possession of the game.

Harding was held to just 39 yards in the first half but did get a 41-yard field goal from Tyler Winger with 7:17 left in the second quarter. Kyle Oney led the Presidents to a score late in the fourth quarter, completing a 48-yard pass to Brendan Chambers to the Fremont Ross 8 that set up a 6-yard scoring run by Monte Williams.

Oney finished the game completing 12 of 25 passes for 150 yards while Mason Lindsey was Harding's leading rusher with 32 yards on nine carries. Kidwell and his players can now turn toward Napoleon, which is also unbeaten in league play.

"This is step three toward a GBC title," Kidwell said. "We will enjoy this tonight but we will get back to work on Saturday."

Re: It's that time of the year again.

I see that we lost to Napoleon 13-27.

Few matchups have magnitude of Ross-Sandusky

Few matchups have magnitude of Ross-Sandusky
By KEVIN YANIK
Sports Writer

SANDUSKY -- Benedictine. Findlay. Napoleon.

Those Fremont Ross games were big. Just not as big as tonight's Week 10 game at Sandusky, the 102nd meeting between the two teams.

"This is a big game," sophomore quarterback Cody Foos said. "But this is an even bigger game because we're still playing for a [Greater Buckeye Conference] title and playoffs. You don't want to lose to Sandusky."

No, you don't. Not Ross (6-3 overall, 3-1 GBC). Not with a share of the GBC still out there, assuming league-leading Napoleon loses to Findlay. The Trojans won't just be playing for the Little Giants, though. If Napoleon loses and Ross wins, the Wildcats, Little Giants and Findlay will all share the GBC title, each with one loss in the conference.
The Little Giants can't necessarily count on a Wildcats loss. They can, however, control their own business and force the issue with a victory of their

own over the Blue Streaks (4-5, 2-2).

"To be honest with you," Little Giants coach Derek Kidwell said, "Sandusky could very easily be 6-3 right now. They were 21-20 with Napoleon in the third quarter, and they went overtime with Findlay."

The Blue Streaks certainly won't roll over, especially their seniors who could end their careers with a loss to the Little Giants -- potentially their third straight. But Fremont's seniors could end their careers just as tragically -- and without a share of the GBC title --so both teams should be as amped up

as they've been all season.

"It's a must-win," Kidwell said. "We hope it's not our seniors' last game, but it's possible it is. We want to send them out on the winning note. As a senior, you don't ever want your last game to be a loss. That's something you'll remember the rest of your life.

"Hopefully, we'll go over there and execute our game plan and have a chance to win that game."

The Blue Streaks have been great offensively, Kidwell said. Their problem has been defensive.

"They haven't been able to stop teams when they needed," he said.

The Blue Streaks are hardly a shabby opponent for the Little Giants, though.

"They're having a little bit better season than they've had," Foos said. "They have a chance to go .500 for the first time in a couple seasons."

The Little Giants would love nothing more than to hand the Blue Streaks another losing season.

"We're definitely over the Napoleon game right now," Foos said. "We're looking forward to Sandusky. This is one of our oldest and biggest rivals. We still have a chance to get a share of the GBC, and we still have a chance to get in the playoffs as long as we take care of business against Sandusky."

Re: Re: It's that time of the year again.

Sorry Bill. I saw the score and got depressed and forgot to post the game.

But woo!hoo! We wooped Sandusky!!!

Re: Few matchups have magnitude of Ross-Sandusky

I've not been able to find any info online about Fremont's post season play. Can anyone let me know what happened?

Re: Re: Few matchups have magnitude of Ross-Sandusky

I had to go here http://p067.ezboard.com/fthefremontrossforumfrm1
to find any info. I'm sorry I forgot to post anything...I was went on vacation and forgot when I got home.

Ross did not make the playoff.