Return to Website

Fremont Ross Class of 1985

Fremont Ross Class of 1985
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sad news

Do you remember Wendell Miller, one of our 7th grade math teachers?

He passed away today. He had gone to Washington Elementary, where he taught for years, for the dedication of a classrooom in his name. They noticed he was acting kind of funny. They called 911. He was life flighted to St. Vs.

I remember lots of things about him because not only was he my 7th grade math teacher but he was also a close family friend. We were both from Lindsey.
Please pass on to any other classmates and watch the news messenger website further info.

http://thenews-messenger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080312/UPDATES01/80312021/1002/&GID=k28MkuTjTCzPrpyGkmWwaIeawquoEk3fpl1MAFIvlFM%3D

Re: Sad news Mr. Miller(update)

Wendelle C. Miller, 82, of Lindsey, died on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 at St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center, Toledo. He was born on April 24, 1925 in Rice Township, Sandusky County to the now deceased Otto Orville and Bessie (Richards) Miller. Wendelle was a 1943 graduate of Fremont Ross High School and a 1959 graduate of Bowling Green State University with a Bachelor of Science in Education Degree. On August 3, 1957 he married Eileen H. Fackler in Rittman, OH. They just celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary in 2007 and she survives. Wendelle was a school teacher, working for a combined 26 years, 1956-1968 at the Washington School, Lindsey and 1968-1982 in the Fremont City Schools. He served 2 ½ years in the US Navy during World War II stationed in the South Pacific. Wendelle served as Mayor of Lindsey for eight years from 1984-1991, was Secretary-Manager of the Sandusky County Fair for 20 years, Secretary-Treasurer of the Lindsey Cemetery Association and Clerk-Treasurer for the Village of Lindsey for 20 years and current council member. He was a charter member of the Lindsey Lion’s Club, member of the former Elmore Masonic Lodge and now a member of the Fremont Masonic Lodge, Gibsonburg American Legion and Retired Teacher’s Association. Wendelle was a toll collector on the Ohio Turnpike and did painting off and on for a time. He enjoyed coaching basketball, but never was a player. Wendelle has been honored for his community service by the Modern Woodmen of American, Ohio House Representative, Dwight Wise, Vern Riffe, Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives. and Paul E. Gillmor. In the summer of 2007, the town park was renamed to the Wendelle C. Miller Park and the school room where he taught in Washington School was dedicated to him. He was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church, Lindsey
Surviving along with his wife are brother, Donald (Helen) of Lindsey; sisters, Geraldine Slates and Pauline Lamale both of Elmore; dogs, Skippy and Henry. He is preceded in death by his parents, brothers in law, Donald Lamale and Melvin Slates. Visitation will begin on Saturday, March 15 from 6-8 p.m., Sunday from 1-8 p.m., with family present 1-3 & 6-8 p.m. at the Herman-Kinn-Karlovetz Funeral Home & Cremation Services, Fremont. Services will be held on Monday 11 a.m. at the Trinity United Methodist Church, Lindsey where there will be one hour of visitation prior to the service. Pastor Todd Gates will officiate. Burial will follow at Lindsey Cemetery with Military rites by the Gibsonburg American Legion. Memorials may be made to the Lindsey Lions Club Scholarship Fund, American Heart Association, Trinity United Methodist Church of Lindsey & for ongoing improvements at the Sandusky County Fairgrounds.

http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=172111&fh_id=10619&ck=1

Re: Sad news

What I remember about Mr. Miller is that his socks never matched! Every day in math class (than God for air conditioned portables) we would check to see if is socks matched. Funny what stands out when you are 13!!!

Re: Re: Sad news

Karol,

This is the tribute written up in The News-Messenger about Mr. Miller... http://www.thenews-messenger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080314/NEWS01/803140303/1002

It mentions the socks. Apparently it's something he'd been doing for a long time. When I wrote a note to the family I mentioned the socks.

I'm thinking you were in my math class...3rd period wasn't it?

Re: Re: Re: Sad news

Shelly,

I think it was 3rd period. I remember that he made Math really fun for me even though it was and still is a subject I hated. Your mention of his passing made me think back to Riley School. That had to have been one of the best times in my life.I remember the cows would come up to the electric fence during lunch begging for a treat or a scratch behind the ear. When I was back in Ohio about 7-10 years ago, I drove past. It's sad to think our class was one of the last classes there.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sad news

The worst thing about Riley was the bus ride. I had, I think a 45 minute ride Lindsey to Ross(all the pick ups)...then the ride to Riley. Wow I had a long commute way back then...

You made me remember, I have a handful of pictures in a photo album from last day of school, I think, at Riley. It's a faculty student softball game. And I have names written on the back...good thing because I wasn't sure who everyone was. I will scan them in and post them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sad news

I have a few too. Rather grainy though. One I know I have is Mr. Howell running the obstacle course . To this day I still remember the name of the "Father of Ohio"...ok, are you ready... RUFAS PUTNAM!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sad news

OMG..I still do the Rufus Putnam thing...I loved Ohio History class. I remember Mr. Jeorge telling us he believed in aliens "because you never know...one of you could be an alien". Or how about when Mr. Jeorge said he went to a fair or something over the weekend and brought us something back. He brought out a box that looked like a pizza box..inside a giant rubber cow patty.

Mr. Jeorge and Mr. Howell and their rubber pranks...rubber vomit they used in the lunch room.