Return to Website

Studyphysics Discussion Forum

Talk about the Book of the Month, Discover Magazine, and get extra marks!

Studyphysics Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
(P. 12) WET MARS

“An infrared scanner aboard the probe detected scattered deposits of water minerals”; “The presence of a thick 100 mile wide puddle of ice in a hidden crater, detectable only via radar, is buried one mile beneath a region where liquid water seems once to have flowed.”

I think that if life ever formed in mars, it could have gone underground since there’s where water is now in form of ice. But I also question myself, was mars even warm and wet enough to support life? While doing some research I found out that European Space Agency’s Mars Express team announced that the detected minerals on Mars’ surface could only have formed from long-term exposure to large amounts of liquid water. So, that brings me to the conclusion that there was some sort of large lakes on mars’ surface. And if there’s volcanic activity as well, I think there’s a possibility that some sort living microorganisms might exist now.

Re: (P. 12) WET MARS

I always thought there was in fact life present on other planets but within our solar system! thats pretty intense! Imagine what we could learn if we found and collected these organisms. We could guage there development and probably see how they have adapted to there martian environment. pretty exciting thoughts... but to drill into the core of a planet that far away will require some MASSIVE funding and some MASSIVE research proving that they are in fact there... or the chances would be pretty slim of it happening. Oh the possibilities ... but heres my question... as far away as the organisms are from earth, would it be possible for us to create a biosystem good enough to preserve these organisms the whole trip back to earth? and even if we could i wonder if they could survive on earth when they do arrive.. oh imagine if they brought back a martian bacteria/virus that threatened the world.. oh boy now theres a movie idea (if it hasnt already come out)

What I find interesting about this article is the possibility of underground oceans and lakes under the surface of Mars. And more importantly if anything inhabits these potential bodies of water. Even the presence of microscopic bacteria broadens our scope on the universe. If we are able to find foreign life within our own solar system, what else is out there that we are not aware of within the galaxy or the universe. When I look up at the stars in the summer, each and every year the same questions burn through my head "are we alone in the universe?" What if there are others out there just like us. Other humans on another planet just like earth lightyears away in a far off galaxy in another part ot the universe. When I think about it this way it really makes me wonder what are we as planet earth in the universe, are we merely a speck of sand on a huge beach or our we the most advaned and sophisticalled population in the universe. Does it make you wonder?

and i bet that the aliens on other planets...every summer...are also looking into the sky...and asking the same burning questions.... Although another question is that if there is other life besides ours..do they know about us? or do they honestly wonder about the universe...

nobody said that other life forms would be smarter or more technologically advanced then ours right.

Responding to Jennifer Antunes comment "...nobody said that other life forms would be smarter or more technologically advanced then ours right."

I agree with that completely. I think the human belief that “if there is someone or something out there, they must be more intelligent than us,” or that “they will try to eliminate humans,” is caused by Hollywood's films like Mars Attacks and War of the Worlds. (It seems Hollywood is destined to display that Mars is out to get us.)

I believe that if there were any sort of Mars Attacks type Alien's lurking in the Universe, they wouldn't be on our doorstep just yet. I say this because I think it's safe to say are no living organisms in our Solar System with the intellectual capabilities equal too, or exceeding our own and those are the closest planets to us.

Proxima Centauri (the closest star to us) is about ~4.22 light years away. If there were creatures from any other Solar System, it would take unbelievable amounts of fuel and other resources to get here, plus I don't think they would be traveling at the speed of light so on top of those resource costs, it would take years to get here. There is a good chance that there are other living organisms on another planet in our home Galaxy, the Milky Way, because there are over 200 Billion Stars in this Galaxy alone. Our Galaxy stretches over 80-100 thousand light years in diameter, about 3,000 light years in thickness, and about 250-300 thousand light years in circumference. I think it’s safe to say if there were other beings out in our Galaxy that knew more than us (technologically and intellectually), they wouldn't know about us just yet.

Website http://www.caouette31.4t.com

I guess that would be true, we could be the most advanced civilization, but id just like to share with you all a theory i created one night while looking up at the stars. Suppose that in the milky way there are 100 highly advanced planets. They are all looking up at the stars and chatting on forums just as we are right now, but just think about it. The GREAT distance between us and them is unbridgable. They are so many thousand light years away, that by the time we reach them, the theory of relativity says that even though we have been criogenically frozen for such a length of time, time contraction says earth time has been a million years. Therefore we are long past the people of our time (possibly even our species) and also communication is impossible (because it would take the same length of time for a signal to reach earth as it did to travel there. Thus proving that the journey is definitely one way, and we would have no way to return to earth to share our findings. Thus isolating us indefinitely. ...P.S i know this is a little off topic, but its a thought id like to run past you all and see if im alone on this one or not

In reply to Jonathan DelMastro's question
No Jonathan, your not alone I tend to think believe a theory along those lines too.

A little off topic never hurt anyone, its just branching the discussion of science. Relating to the discussion of possibly having other civilizations lightyears away got me thinking about even if we were able to travel at the speed of light, relaying any form of communication seems nearly impossible. Let's take for example a star. Lets say its 11 lightyears away. That means it would take 11 years travelling at the speed of light to reach us here. In those 11 years that star could burn out and we here on Earth continue to see the light from star for another 11 years until the last ray of light reaches us. So if we some how found some information in our travels about a civilization lightyears away, by the time the information reaches us here on the Earth, their home planet could be struck by an asteriod and destroyed.

so really there are so many circumstances working against the people of the earth to ever communicate with others in the universe that we conclude we are the "only living species"

so that sucks...because even if there is something out there we wont know..and im sure we cant go the speed of light yet...but think how much faster things would be on earth if we could go that fast..

We can't travel at that speed, but information can. Fiber Optic cable is what im talkin about of course. Fiber optic cable is amazing in the way it frees up the speed of information to near unlimited possiblities, plus there is almost zero energy loss in the form of heat. Imagine the Possibilities!

I dont think humans will ever be able to travel at the speed of light on earth.But if we ever find a way to travel that fast it would be very benifical to humans.

would information be easily changed when going through the vastness of space?

I dont think travelling at the speed of light would be a priority. I think being able to alter the space time continuum would. That way we could travel anywhere... anytime ... this way we could actually test our astrophysical theorys and what not. Besides, everything worthwhile is way to far away for the speed of light to help us out.

Our galaxy is about 80-100 thousand light years in diameter. If there ever was a chance of a human being travelling across the Milky Way, either a) they would have to be travelling faster than the speed of light or b) they would have to alter the space time continuum like John said. I think its safe to say we will not be able to develop the technology to send a human being to distant solar systems any time soon. Maybe a probe but even then, theres such small chance of success...

changing the topic, does anybody know for a fact that we are the only living specie in our solar system?? Because when can perceive up to 3 dimensions, we are expecting to find other living organisms in 3-D, but according to the many worlds theory, isn’t it possible that living creatures might exist in other dimensions?For example in mars, to us they might be invisible but they are there! It’s just there’s no way to prove it

I just found out about an extraordinary hypothetical device "hyperspace" engine that could make interstellar space travel a reality by flying into other dimensions! It has been outlined in principle but is based on a controversial theory about the fabric of the universe, could potentially allow a spacecraft to travel to Mars in three hours and journey to a star 11 light years away in just 80 days. “The theoretical engine works by creating an intense magnetic field, so that the craft would slip into a different dimension, where the speed of light is faster, allowing incredible speeds to be reached. Switching off the magnetic field would result in the engine reappearing in our current dimension.”

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! THATS INTENSE!

Well. What to say to that? So what this hyperspace time machine does is creates a magnetic field so large that the... spacecraft disappears into a new dimension. And in this dimension the light can travel faster. And then when this engine is swtiched off the spaceship will return in the current dimension. This sounds a lot like the book series "The Golden Compass" the characters use the 'Subtle Knife' cut cut holes into other dimensions. Actually, recalling that book, it does have a lot of physics background. It relates to the many worlds theory too. I think in the book her father was a scientist of somesort and he creatd a machine that was powered by the magnetic fields of the nothern lights and it could travel to different parts of time. I dont remember it exactly but it sounds like it sort of travel that relates to this topic.

My brain hurts after reading that!

apparently they found water on one of saturns moons i think it was..

Yeah, the found water vapor on Enceladus, one of Saturn's smaller moons.

Does this moon happen to have an atmosphere? because i think that would be required for any form of life to develop? am i right?

Using the instrument-packed Cassini probe, they have confirmed that the 500km-wide moon has an atmosphere.

would you happen to know what types of gases are present in this atmosphere? i wonder if its possible for organisms to develop and rely on other gases. Like for example an animal that requires nitrogen instead of oxygen to survive

Im pretty sure I read about it being formed of mainly nitrogen... I could be thinking of Titan (another of Saturn's moons)

If I find the article, I'll post it.

do organisms really need oxygen to survive? is it possible that anerobic bacteria an plants can live on a planet, moon, comet, ect that doesn't have an atmosphere or that has an atmosphere lacking in oxygen

yeah you would think that the organisms in space wouldnt exactly need oxygen to survive...but thats nuts about the living things on mars being there but being invisible to us...was that in the wuli book somewhere...or where did you read that?

i dont think its in Wu-Li... its just a question iv always had... and i see im not alone ... its kinda like how we need oxygen but plants need CO2... maybe other animals on other planets survive off another gas like nitrogen.

maybe they survive off billions of microrganisms that live off there

I believe that there was life on mars a long long time ago because of the evidence of the different minerals that were found on the surface of the plaint. And now if the water is all under ground the question is what cased it to be there and why is there no water on the surface any more. Also is there living organisms and maybe even some intelligent things that live under the surface. You also have to think maybe mars was like earth is now but the things that lived on it destroyed the surface because of all of the pollution they created.

Well, I guess if anything about every happens to Earth (knock on wood) we could always colonize Mars(although it has a thin atmosphere and colder than Earth) But, I say if you can live in Edmonton you can live anywhere

And about the living things on mars being there but being invisible to us I assumed that if “the many worlds theory “can be applied on earth why not on mars? Remember when Mr. C was taking about how dinosaurs might still right now on earth “in other world” or parallel world. Well if you remember this theory supports the idea that the probability wavefunction does not collapse but all the outcomes exist and continue their existence in other worlds but we can never encounter any of these other infinite worlds, that’s why I said “they might be invisible to us and there’s no way to prove it”. So if life ever existed in mars, I think there might be a possibility that some kind of life is present in “other world”. This is all theoretically speaking of course or some people might just call it nuts

So does that mean in some other world us as humans have already landed on Mars. does that mean that we are already living on Mars? This many worlds theroy brings about many questions.

I remember hearing on the news like 3 days ago that the US had landed I believe it was a camera on Mars, and they were trying to figure out if there was water or something like that, or maybe if the conditions were right to send man up there. That would be scary, I'm pretty sure Mars isn't a place where you can live, but if things changed in some abnormal way, how weird but kind of cool would it be to live on another planet?

well, there could be other people somewhere else wondering if we exist...

Ya that is so true maybe there is a parallel universe of us in another galaxy on the complete opposite side of the universe. And they could be thinking the same thing as we are. Well I guess that it could always be like in the movie “the one” where there were 7 different universes of the exact same thing just with some differences like jobs and other things like that. And we have just not found out if that is possible or not and if it is true we have not reached a high enough level of technology to communicate with the other universes or worlds.

That is really hard to understand..well it is understandable...it is just hard to grasp. There could totally be another planent or universe with people like us...I wonder if humanity will ever find out. Maybe not in my lifetime...but in my grandchildren's lifetime...I really don't know.