Return to Website

Studyphysics Discussion Forum

Talk about the Book of the Month, Discover Magazine, and get extra marks!

Studyphysics Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pg. 72 Good-bye Bubble Suits, Hello Shrink-Wrap

This is an interesting article as it talks about a suit that is designed to go into space and it looks like sleek spandex. It is quite an advantage because is is much lighter than the huge bubble suits the astronauts had to wear before. You can still sort of skip in it, and it looks even more comfortable. However do you think this suit will be enough to withstand the pressures of space?

Re: pg. 72 Good-bye Bubble Suits, Hello Shrink-Wrap

i believe the article said it is pressurised, kind of like an airplane.
is this new suit called the Bio-Suit System? I just read something on that suit and essentially they apply a second skin to the astronaut. the coolest thing about this suit is that it has these 'wire muscles' that increase the humans strength

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/spacesuit_innovations_050126.html

wow that sounds like the beginning of some kinda of super hero suit...

I WANT ONE!

how comfortable will "steel spandex" (I know its not really steel) be to go to the bathroom in? can it protect you from radiation and stuff like that?

Don’t forget there are all of these new materials that we have crated that can withstand more and are lighter just look at carbon fiber. And this new space suit I think it would be a very big change from what they have now. The astronauts would be able to move easer and use finer tools. But also would it be able to withstand the force of the vacuum space and the radiation from the sun.

This is like the material they used for the costumes in the movies The Incredibles and in the movie The Fantastic Four.Its about time NASA caught up to the movies .

Maybe that's where they get all their ideas...it is really the creators of those movies who are unique in their designs....it is those people who have all the brains!

well the dreamers are the people who come up with the ideas.. the scientists are the ones who make it happen.. so without dreamers we dont really have much

Ya with out dreamers we would not have I-Pods TV’s radio computer indoor pluming all the stuff we take for granted. And it is true that if the dreams never came up with the ideas the scientists would have had nothing to build and design.

its human instinct! if your in space and your having troubles manoeuvering around then of course your going to try and find something that will make your movements a little smoother. its trial and error, people will continually try new ideas and designs in order to improve the task so that's its easier for themselves, since it all comes down to the selfish desires of humans

We are not selfish we just step over anything and do whatever it takes to get things done. And ya why would we not create something that might make it easer to go into space to do different types of repairs on different satellites.

Ya true...I wonder how much this thing is going to cost..sometimes I sit back and think where else this money could be going...but then again they may discover something super important that may benefit the world...I would rather see millions of dollars go into science and technology than to see a hockey, baseball, or football player get paid that much.