Return to Website

Studyphysics Discussion Forum

Talk about the Book of the Month, Discover Magazine, and get extra marks!

Studyphysics Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pg. 11 The Sensitive Side of the Unicorn Whale

The unicorn whale has this tusk that I would of definitely thought was a defense mechanism. But it is actually like a tooth that is exposed (without gums and everything)....and it is sensitive to things such as temperature and prey...do you guys know of any other animal that has a neat adaptation like this?

Re: pg. 11 The Sensitive Side of the Unicorn Whale

don't insects, for example tarantulas, have hairs on their bodies that act as a sort of security system or dinner bell if prey is approaching.

Yeah, some tarantulas,not all species, can 'kick off' their hairs which are launched into the air at a target. That's pretty sweet. In regards to another animal with a unique adaptation the Frilled Lizard is a good example. If you've seen Jurassica park you know what I'm talking about They have a large "frill" of skin around their head which flares out in order to frighten enemies.

yeah but the unicorn whale uses it's tusk as a probe, which is exclusive to that species to the best of my knowledge.

And don't tarantulas have that sticky stuff on their feet to 'stick' to the glass. It was either that or hairs, I remember Cliintberg explaining it last year but I forget what specific adapation they have. As well, I think it's lobsters and lizards who can regenerate certain body parts.

I think Mr. C said that it had something to do with friction. It had nothing to do with the feet being sticky. I think I remember him saying that Wu-Li's little hairs had to "fit" inbetween the imperfections of the glass....or something...that sounds weird but it did have something to do with friction I believe. Did it Mr. C??