Return to Website

Studyphysics Discussion Forum

Talk about the Book of the Month, Discover Magazine, and get extra marks!

Studyphysics Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: how to beat the global heat pg.10

well in the long run we should try using renewable and clean energy now before its too late.. i mean eventually we are going to HAVE to use renewable energy because we would have wasted all the dirty power

Exactly we have to smarten up and get with it. We have to start using better more fuel-efficient cars like a hybrid. And the way technology goes for pricing I bet it will be about 5 years till most people will start running there homes off of solar panels. And what I said about the power going back into the grid there is a guy in Edmonton what was on the news about 2 years ago that did that and on sunny days he would put powered back into the grid but once the batteries were charged.

I totally agree and think that it is so true that we should be smarter about the energy and waste us humans use..but it isn't going to be that easy to just say "ya I'm going to buy a hybrid car." Most people do not have that kind of money to spend. Some people are barely making their car payments on time, and now we have to worry about emissions and all that jazz? But it is so true that when you buy that hybrid, you are probably saving sooo much money with the lack of needed gas and all. It would probably be a super smart thing to do...but I honestly do not know anyone who has done it. How much do these hybrids sell for? I heard that they were super expensive..do any of you know? Do you also think that there is limited seating inside of it?

In the long run a hybrid costs less! I am not speaking hypothetically. My uncle has a Toyota Prius. Yes, it cost more to initally buy it, but he immediately saw a savings in gas. He gets (on average) about double the clicks that I do on my Toyota Corolla with a tank that is almost exactly the same size. A repair bill could be higher, but there hasn't been anything out of the ordinary for him yet (he's had it for about 3 years I believe). The big cost will come in about 5 more years when the main batteries have to be replaced at a cost of a couple grand. All said, he's done the math (and he's a nerd like me so I trust it), and it will be costing him less (by a bit), while at the same time giving smiley faces to the environment.

hmmm maybe i'll ask my parents for a hybrid for a grad/birthday present. its a long shot but maybe. i'll tell them i want to be a good enviromentalist

Haha that is a good idea!! Maybe I will try that too.....mommy, daddy....I want to save the environment, so please buy me a hybrid car!! Haha.....Mr.C, how many seats does your uncle's car have? Are the hybrids built smaller than a regular car? Would it be good for a family to own....if there is limited space inside the car?