Return to Website

Studyphysics Discussion Forum

Talk about the Book of the Month, Discover Magazine, and get extra marks!

Studyphysics Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: how to beat the global heat pg.10

In the long run a hybrid costs less! I am not speaking hypothetically. My uncle has a Toyota Prius. Yes, it cost more to initally buy it, but he immediately saw a savings in gas. He gets (on average) about double the clicks that I do on my Toyota Corolla with a tank that is almost exactly the same size. A repair bill could be higher, but there hasn't been anything out of the ordinary for him yet (he's had it for about 3 years I believe). The big cost will come in about 5 more years when the main batteries have to be replaced at a cost of a couple grand. All said, he's done the math (and he's a nerd like me so I trust it), and it will be costing him less (by a bit), while at the same time giving smiley faces to the environment.

hmmm maybe i'll ask my parents for a hybrid for a grad/birthday present. its a long shot but maybe. i'll tell them i want to be a good enviromentalist

Haha that is a good idea!! Maybe I will try that too.....mommy, daddy....I want to save the environment, so please buy me a hybrid car!! Haha.....Mr.C, how many seats does your uncle's car have? Are the hybrids built smaller than a regular car? Would it be good for a family to own....if there is limited space inside the car?