Return to Website

Broken Hearted Road Message/Discussion Board

Broken Hearted Road Message/Discussion Board
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
LEVEE TOWN is ready to order!!!

It will be released by Ryko on April 21st, just in time for Jazzfest, with the five bonus tracks on the second CD! Our local vendors have already been placing their orders.

Re: LEVEE TOWN is ready to order!!!

Is it, in fact? From where, pray tell? Show me the new track list. Jeeze, don'cha think that a little more hoop-la, or even just a wee bit of news about this one, is in order? Nothing on Sonny's website about this that I could find. And now just today amazon.com shows the new release date, instead of just the "discontinued" they've had in their link to Levee Town for the past several months, and shows it as indeed being 2 disks

http://www.amazon.com/Levee-Town-Sonny-Landreth/dp/B001VLFDWC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1238336349&sr=8-9

but with the old song list, old review and absolutely no new details. Nothing that says "remastered" or "bonus tunes" or anything like that. Am I the only one who gets the feeling that if I pre-ordered here they'd send me the old version I already have? A bit of a marketing snafu here, I'd say. Or maybe yet another sad sign of times of how this brave new world that is downloaded music has affected Sonny's business? Maybe somehow it became harder to re-release a *CD* the old fashioned way? Say it ain't so.

It's in the Ryko catalog--which comes out weekly, lising all the new releases for that week {WEBB WILDER's new CD is released then too, as well as all the Jazzfest folks' new CDs)--for the week of April 21. A half-page ad (saw it wid my own eyes) describing TWO CDs, bonus tracks, etc. But don't order it from Amazon--get it from Sonny's site so he gets to keep all the moolah. Or go to NOLA and buy it from the Krewe at Rock'n Beau!!

Thanks for the scoop C. I'll get something up on the site asap. Do you have a list of the tracks?

Genny

It's heeeere--and FABULOUS. The songs are funny, tender, rousing( Pedal is a boogie), moving; the guitars are amazing and fresh (as always). Gotta check it out yourselves, folks! (Jim, to be sure you get the right disc, the new one is #LF-0002--Landfall, as opposed to the old Levee Town, #SUG-CD 3925--Sugar Hill.)

Yes, thanks Cynthia. I ordered it yesterday from amazon.com when I saw the tracks on disk 2 show up, along with Susan Tedeschi's "Back to the River". Great ST show here at the Neighborhood Theater Friday night, BTW.

yep, caught her here a bit ago--the gal ROCKS!

Re: Ordering the new CD from Sonny's site:
If you go to his site and click on Discography, then Leveetown, then Paypal, you can order the new expanded edition CD.

More, to whet your appetites:
The Expanded Edition CD has the same booklet & graphics--but also a new one to go with the bonus disc.

Remember how the shot of Sonny on his top web page shows him playing the resonator with an actual bottle slide? There's a wintertime swamp shot of him with more of a closeup of that beer bottle slide. (Or whatever it is--looks like brown glass, so not likely to be a wine bottle slide like those from that ONE vineyard out west where they incorporate that ONE mineral into their glass... Artists, what can ya do??)

Okay, that was probly TMI. But since there's only one "new" bonus tune with lyrics (and it's a beaut!! Brace yourselves), those are not included in the new booklet. The new disc has a map (textured--almost embossed), to accompany Megan's original river map on the Levee Town disc. The original book is slightly modified with legal stuff. Then of course there's the remastering itself...

Hey Cynthia,

Thanks for posting all the info on the new CD as I hadn't had a chance to put anything up here about it (only the links on my front page but they've been there for some time prior to the CD being available) You know, I was thinking about letting Sonny's webmaster know that it would be helpful to make a change on his page to let everyone know that they ARE getting the new CD because when you look at the info on his page, it still shows only the songs from the orig. Levee Town CD and says nothing about it being the new one. I still have to order mine... I'm lagging behind with everything going on around here but I'll get to it this week. Glad to hear it's a good one... figured it would be though and I can't wait to see the new art work. And is the bottle neck slide a coricidin bottle like Duane used... or did I see you say something about it being colored glass?

Genny

I too thought it might be coricidin, but weren't those clear glass (like Derek Truck's--which might even be Duane's)? This one looks like it's got a kind of wide top in the photos, but it's looking like definitely darker glass--either brown or the image has been altered to make it fit the sepia-toned theme... It could be a beer bottle up-ended except that you can see his finger inside and the light reflection looks like a lip--heck, I don't know. And then there ARE brown wine bottles...The other image (website and original Levee Town book) looks like the slide has a flared neck, so it could be. (But definitely not siimilar to that new slide he started using in San Jose last spring--that one looks solid dark gray from a distance (like metal) but is clear glass with an inside coating in gray. Made by a gal in CA, btw.)

Re: The site--yeah, they've been busy... But there has been exellent publicity in the print media--ads in music magazones--so I expect that lots of folks are following Jim's lead and getting it online (or just going for the mp3s). I also note that on both Proper Records (the Europe distributor) and Amazon UK, the release date is May 4th--so just hang in there a bit longer, folks!