Return to Website

Argyll And Sutherland Highlanders Veterans Message Board

This message board has been set up to help Ex-Argyll And Sutherland Highlanders Veterans, their Friends and Relatives exchange information and post messages to gain information about lost friends, colleagues or relatives.

IT IS NOT A PRESENT DAY REGIMENTAL DISCUSSION BOARD.

Please DO NOT USE foul or abusive language, If you do, your message will be removed and your ISP banned.

You can contact the Moderator at AandSHVeterans@gmail.com

The moderator reserves the right to remove messages which are deemed in bad taste or not in the best interests of the board members.  All messages to the moderator will be replied to as soon as possible (Normally within 24 hrs of posting)

Other Argyll Links:

www.quicktopic.com/41/H/CXizxhNcsLv3  

www.theargylls.co.uk 

www.argyll.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Argyll And Sutherland Highlanders Veterans Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WW1 Battlefield tour

Got back from the Grangemouth branch's organised tour of the WW1 battlefields at about Half five on Friday night.
Without a doubt it was a great trip. Not so much from the tour operators point but from the great company, both the civvies and the Jocks were in good form.
We were based in Ostend and picked up our guide in Ypres, a journey of about an hour and a quarter by coach, consequently we lost two and a half hour sight seeing in an already short enough day.
The Menin gate last post ceremony was hijacked by our group, we laid two wreaths here and our appearance seemed to be appreciated by the large group of spectators.
Of all the memorials we visited ,I must say I thought the Canadians at Vimy ridge was the most impressive,out of a lot of impressive sites.
Andra' Dobbie is now a civvy and working over there, in the area of Beaumont Hamal, we bumped into him and he kindly drove the 7th and 8th Bn., lads in our party to the Cruachan memorial which is dedicated to the 7/8th, this is located about ten minutes drive from Beaumont Hamal.
At the end of each day on our return to the hotel we generally retired to the quiet lounge for a light refreshment and proceeded to turn the quiet lounge into a beer bar, nuff said.
If you get an opportunity to go on one of those trips , grab the chance, they are an eye opener .
The latest talk is about a WW11 trip next year. I for one will be there,hopefully.
Finally I would like to say a big thank you to Jockey Bain who worked his proverbial's off to make our trip as successful as it was.

View my Photo Album
Free Photo Albums by Bravenet.com