Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top tips for Mayhem

For some of you that may not know but im going for it this year and aim to be super fit like most of you guys.Ive got a mixed team of five together and we are all novices so really seeking advice from start to finish.What time to arrive on site to ensure a good pitch, should we go out fot 1hr stints and eating before racing etc.... etc... Thanks Shelton.

Re: Top tips for Mayhem

Top Tips List
1) turn up on friday morning, the afternoon is too late for a good pitch
2) in the "dry" stop laughing everyone, a lap will take from 45mins to 1h20 depending on fitness.....for me last year in a dry race a lap was 54mins for best lap. in a wet race the worst i have seen was 2hours due to the mud.
3) have a list with each riders name on it, lap start time and expected finish time so the next rider is at the start line on time.....is is hard to think straight at 3am.
4) take mud tyres and dry tyres.
5) food...take everything you like and lots of it. it is hard to eat at 2am but eat when you have finished you lap and every lap, if you don't then the next lap will be worse than it needs to be.
6) take every piece of cycle clothing you have, you will probably need it.
7) after cleaning/fixing your bike, and eating, try and sleep for an hour or so you will need it.
8) remember that everyone around you is also racing in a different pattern to you so try not to disturb them in the middle of the night....or they may return the favour later.
9) consider taking the monday off work too, if you can't sleep then the journy home on sunday can be a little tricky.
10) have fun.

Re: Top tips for Mayhem

Thanks Pat,Will try not to get in your way when you lap me, Mmmm what am I saying that wont happen will it!!!.. See you Thursday, Thanks Shelton.