Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'Oops! It's Barton!

BBC.co.uk says: "Broken cloud will continue overnight but it should remain dry with some clear spells at times. Feeling mild with light winds."

Sounds like a good night for a bimble - summer tyres a must-have.

Anyone care to join me?

PT

Re: 'Oops! It's Barton!

In the ideal world, yes, but work and/or herself may intervene.

Hopefully see you all later.

Paul

Afternoon all!

I'll be out this evening, revelling in what hopefully will be a glorious night. Maybe spring has finally arrived after all.

Rob A, I'll bring a spare Exposure Joystick with me, together with a helmet mount, which you're welcome to use for the night. I've even charged it for you. I'll turn up five minutes or so early - the helmet mount only takes a couple of minutes to attach to your helmet with an Allen key.

See you later
Dom

See you all laters.

Hi Dom
As I have no lights I had planned to drive to the hoops, park there & cycle to the meeting point then go home straight from the hoops, therefore not needing to use any lights. Apologies if this is a silly question, but, will the Exposure joystick be enough on its own or would i need other lights aswell? I was going to talk to you guys this evening about light makes etc. Cheers. Rob

Hi Rob

I rode for a while with just a Joystick, although I have now got a bar-mounted light as well. The Joystick is good, and if it's pretty light pretty late (like now, although there's not much moon!) and if you're riding in a group (so can 'cadge off' other people's lights) then I reckon you're OK. Personally, I think the Joystick is adequate by itself providing you're not by yourself and wanting to go like a bat out of hell - it doesn't give you enough light far enough ahead to do that safely...

Others may have different views!

See you later
Dom

P.S. So if I happened to be at the Hoops in the middle of the night, what sort of car have you got??

Joysticks are good but some have had reliability problems. It's big brother, the Exposure Diablo, is brighter.

I use Lumicycle LED's on helmet and bars - they're pretty reliable and bright to boot.

PT

Sorry - shouldn't have scared you about the car! In fact, a number of us (particularly me) do the car thing for pubs not so close to home. I believe it's known as 'doing a Dom'...

Dom

Dom,
Thank you very much for the offer of the joystick, I'm gonna stick to my original plan & park at the hoops as I dont know how fast you guys ride and what levels you are and I wouldn't want to hold any of you back.
Are you meeting outside the Cross Keys in Saxon St? See you there later.
Thanks again for the offer of a lend.
Rob

Yep, Saxon Street it is. Look out for a rowdy strangely-dressed bunch blocking the road with bikes...

I'll have the Joystick with me anyway, so you're welcome to give it a go to see what it's like!

See you later
Dom

Yeah that'll be good to have a look at it, Thank You.
See you later

the thumb has bloody descended.

see you all next week.

Paul

Newbee Rob, I will be leaving the pub 7ish if you want to ride into town for company.

yeah ok, I was aiming to get there for 7 too, so see you then. Rob