Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pasty Tom's BIG Adventure

Hi All,

I thought it a good idea to advertise my BIG Adventure in a few weeks (01/07).

It's a bit of fun for a summer evening and is different to our normal rides. It's a bit like a Trailquest but shoehorned into an evening with a traditional pub finish. It's an idea I've been hatching for a while and hope you'll all have a go.

The idea is:-
1. I give you a list of checkpoints to visit - they vary with difficulty and distance and you won't be able to visit them all in one night without a helicopter (I'll send round the list in advance)
2. On the night I'll give out the same list, but with difficulty points added.
3. Riders will then split up (pairing up is best, but solos allowed) and go off and try and amass as many difficulty points as possible in the time by visiting either the high value checkpoints or a larger number of checkpoints or both.
4. Riders/Pairs prove they've been to a checkpoint by taking a digital photo (camera or phone) when they get there.
5. More points can be gathered, however, by spotting and photographing random and ridiculous items of my choosing along the way, so it's not just speed and navigation skills that get points. I may also give points for daft clothing and inappropriate tyre choice.
6. We all meet up at a pub (the identity of which is secret for now) and those who are late get points deducted!
7. There will be a 'Fantastical Prize' (for me anyway) for the pair of riders with the most points.

I've chosen the checkpoints such that they can be all be reached on public rights of way (walking on footpaths, of course!) and can be strung together to make some great rides - it'll be interesting to see if we get some new routes from it!

I hope that's caught your imagination. I'll publish some rules of the game (with the usual disclaimer - it's free after all) closer to the time.

If you're going to be free on the night and fancy doing this, please let me know - I'll draw up an entry list.

Question is, can Pat resist the challenge?

All the best

PT

Re: Pasty Tom's BIG Adventure

MOI?
it's on a thursday.
it would be rude not to try

Hey Pasty...

If there's lots of people like me and Alison who can't make it that night and you fancy moving it to later, that would be great by me! I'll be gutted if I d miss it - it sounds great...

July 1 is a definite no-no for us, sadly.

Dom

ditto ... i'm also away that week, so if it changes to a later date that'd be great - not that I want to impose my schedule on the group though

Hi Rich and Dom,

Ulp! Before I go changing it, I'll see whether the rest of the group has problems with that day.

If so, perhaps we can bring it forward or back a week or two. But if not then I'll stick and we do another later.

PT

I can do that day or later but not before...

Hi All,

Decided to stick with 1st July as per the plan.

Update:

- prize - there will be one for the winning team (entry is free, remember)

- checkpoint list will be up on Monday - you'll need a Landranger 154 (i.e. Cambridge and Newmarket OS Map) to plot them on.

- alternatively, I've plotted all checkpoints onto Memory-Map and will print off A3 copies to give out on the night. The map will have the checkpoint scores and rules on it.

- you need to think about who you'll pair up with on the night. I'd pick somone who can read a map if I were you.

- we will be finishing at a pub close to Cambridge. Details, here, on Monday.

PT

Tom,

Sorry, cant make it, we are off on holiday. Hope it goes well though.

Hi PT. I'm game - hope my OS map is new enough...
Tony