Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.
DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Photo: CAMMTB rides have restarted with social distancing - bring a beer and or join us for our virtual pub sessions afterwards.
(Mr Webmaster...please make this STICKY!! )
Here is a list of the checkpoints for Thursday night's BIG Adventure:-
Checkpoint No. + Description + OS Grid Reference
1 Crossing TL 413 674
2 Track junction TL 509 533
3 Track junction TL 584 488
4 Water Tower (bend by) TL 568 479
5 Footbridge TL 547 541
6 Fingerpost TL 549 493
7 Junction / Gate TL 528 443
8 Junction TL 595 531
9 Crossing TL 592 577
10 Obelisk TL 442 507
11 Bridge TL 495 514
12 Bridge TL 530 626
13 Pinch Stile TL 379 625
14 Fingerpost TL 388 582
15 Trig point / Reservoir TL 352 525
16 Edge of wood TL 380 515
17 Gate TL 421 541
18 Crossing TL 458 550
19 Bridge TL 452 498
20 Senotaph TL 457 574
21 Track junction TL 388 552
Finish Six Bells TL 520 562
So for those planning to drive to the pub, you have your location!
I will give out A4 colour maps showing the checkpoints at the start(not A3 as MemoryMap no like! ), but it would help you to plot them onto your own map. My maps will be at 1:150,000 scale!
Each checkpoint has a score - more difficult = higher points. Scores will be given out on the night!
RULES will follow in the next post so read on....
Hi again all,
Here's what it's all about and some RULES!:-
1. You have a list of checkpoints to visit - they vary with difficulty and distance and you won't be able to visit them all in one night without a helicopter (which is not allowed!).
2. Each checkpoint has a score depending upon how difficult they are to get to / far they are from the finish. I will give out the scores on the night along with an A4 colour map showing the checkpoints.
3. Riders split up (pairing up is best, but solos allowed) and go off and try and amass as high a score as possible in the time by visiting either the high value checkpoints or a larger number of checkpoints or both.
4. Each checkpoint can only be ‘bagged’ once.
5. Riders/Pairs prove they've been to a checkpoint by taking a digital photo (camera or phone) when they get there. They should take a picture of the checkpoint with them and their free A4 give-out map in the same picture. This gets shown to me at the end so I know they’ve not cheated!
6. A higher score can be gathered, however, by spotting and photographing random and ridiculous items of my choosing along the way, so it's not just speed and navigation skills that get you points. See the list on the night. I will also give points for daft clothing and inappropriate tyre choice.
7. So you will need:-
a. As usual; bike, lights, helmet, drink, cycling equipment;
b. Map – Landranger 154 is good
c. Pen or pencil for writing on your map
d. Digital camera / camera phone capable of taking pictures in dwindling daylight
8. When you’re fed up/ tired / need beer, we all meet up at a pub and those who are late get points deducted! I then tot up all of the scores and work out who’s won.
9. There will be a 'Fantastical Prize' for the pair of riders with the highest score.
Stay safe and legal - this is a free, fun ride and the organiser accepts no liability – you ride at your own risk and are responsible for your conduct
Wear a helmet at all times when riding and make sure that you have good lights
All checkpoints can be visited via public right of way (walking on footpaths, of course!)
Remember, you can bag each checkpoint only once
Do not sabotage anyone else – cheats will be disqualified (IF found out AND we don’t think it’s funny)
Follow the country code.
That's it for now. Have a good time plotting your checkpoints - most of them will be familiar. And see you all on Thursday night...there's no football on then after all .
What time do we have to be at the pub (before points start being deducted ?)!
It's a lenient 10 pm (about 2h 20 mins riding).
After that is considered severe showing off and you get points off for riding longer than anyone else.
Late penalties start small - 2 per minute for first 10 mins - then ratchet up. If you're more than 45 mins late (and that is LATE) you get a score of zero.
Full details of time penalties are on the give-out sheet on Thursday.
ok, so if it looks as if we might be over 1 hour late, "for mechanical reasons - Ahem", can we phone ahead and book drinks at the bar before last orders and not get penalty points
If you have a mechanical which will make you over 1 hour late, by all means phone ahead to put your drinks order in.
It won't get you out of the penalty points though...nice try!
If you have a mechanical early on, change your ride plan to make sure you finish on time or not too late.
Do you get bonus points for getting to the pub early?!?
I'll be out tomorrow evening, I have limited map reading skills & no GPS but have worked out the destination pub atleast (hopefully it's the six bells in Fulbourn!!) I'm pretty confident I wont be winning but I'm extreeemly confident I wont get docked point for arriving at the pub late.
No bonus points for being early as such, but time becomes a factor if rider(s) are tied on their overall scores, i.e.earliest is higher placed on equal scores.
You got the pub stop right - it's the Six Bells at Fulbourn. (I hope they're open )
See you tomorrow - usual start point in Brookside.
Just checked the weather forecast and it looks good - it will be cloudy and mild this evening with the odd light shower in the early hours.
SO the maps and instructions are all printed out (there are 20 sets) and they will be in A4 plastic wallets to protect them just in case.
I'll probably park at Fulbourn and ride in - see you at 7:30 p.m. at Brookside.
So Pasty, how generous are you going to be with your points for 'daft clothing' ? Just wondering if I should go home and dig out some inappropriate tyres, or try and find a crazy outfit ??
They're each worth the same as some of the higher scoring checkpoints so definitely worth going for.
I suppose the downside of the inappropriate tyres is they could slow you down.
I thought that you always wore a crazy outfit?