Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wassup?

Has anyone any plans for this evening? I quite fancy a spin...

The website says the Carpenters Arms in Wilbraham. Does anyone know what the state of play there is? Their website says they're a gastropub and has a mention of an opening offer, but no mention of when. Beer in the evening includes a post on July 7th saying "On the 17th of July this year they open their new restaurant". Will dusty/muddy bikers be welcome even if they've opened?

We could do a bit of Fleam Dyking?

Dom

Re: Wassup?

I fancy a spin and I fancy a pint. Not sure I fancy a gastropub.....

i might, just might get some nuts and be out tonight..if the carpenters arms is no good you could always come back towards town via fulbourn and have one in the six bells....or maybe even both!!??

Mark T posted last week that the Carpenter's Arms may not be open tonight, in which case a diversion at the end of Fleam Dyke (if that is the chosen route) to the Six Bells would be a good idea.

(Mind you, since it's The Carpenter's Arms, if you went there you'd feel "On Top of The World" )

Personally, I shall be taking my family out tonight for a meal to celebrate my wife's birthday. So enjoy the rain!

PT

Can I come Tom?

Sure - see you there!

Met Office Severe Weather Warning:
East of England:
Cambridgeshire

Heavy Rain 1528 Tue 27 2000 Tue 27

Heavy and perhaps thundery showers will continue to move east across parts of East Anglia and south Lincolnshire over the next few hours before clearing from the west. Rainfall totals of 15mm in 3 hours are expected locally.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1530 Tue 27 Jul

Might rain then? :-)
Ad

I'm sitting in my office and half an hour ago could hardly see my house six yards away. I think it was raining! It's stopped for now but looks like there's more on the way.

Bugger! Checked the forecast this morning and it said 'few showers'.

Think I'll give it a miss tonight (wait for calls of derision... )

Dom

Try the BBC weather site. It says light showers at 7pm, and dry later. I'm expecting a hurricane.
Undecided about coming out tonight. Feeling lazier than usual...Can anyone persuade me?

I'm tempted but have to leave in 30 minutes if I am going to...

Anyone definitely out?

Cheers,

Jonathon

What a beautiful evening after all. I didn't see a drop of rain fall when I was gazing out of the window at Jamie's Italian (recommended btw).

Did anyone brave it and enjoy the trail?

PT

Well yes, despite my earlier later (or should that be later earlier) post, I did. So, as Count Arthur Strong would say:

Ha ha! Got you there! You can talk all you like about lip reading... pig feeding... Sod it! misleading, but well, you know... I posted first, so don't come that.

There were 12 of us out, and you're right, Pasty, there wasn't a drop of rain - although it was very clammy. A stretch of the Roman road near Balsham was very greasy and rutted, and the roots on Fleam Dyke seemed to be particularly greasy. I'm not sure if there was anyone who managed not to come off, but I'd be surprised.

It turned into a bit of an epic, for me at least, having ridden in from Cottenham, and then home from the pub (Six Bells in Fulbourn) afterwards. I ended up doing 42 miles.

Here's the route.

Bit tired this morning...
Dom