Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thursday - wasted by Walden

I just test rode the bulk of the Little Walden or Whatever route (starting from Shelford) and I estimate it's going to be around the 36 mile mark from Brookside to Brookside, with ~ 1300 ft of climbing. There will be some bail out options however, if anyone finds themselves struggling, but bringing a map might be a good idea.

Lots of tracks that'll hopefully be new to many people - including a lovely half-mile of wooded downhill single track and some bits of public access that I only found today which don't appear on any of the maps I have.

One stretch of busy A road with roundabouts though, so make sure you've got a working back light.

The final pub stop could be any of the Red Lion at Hinxton, the Duxford pubs or even the Bees in the Wall if we don't stop at Little Walden or hang around en route. I'd rather keep this flexible so we can alter as needed depending on punctures, crashes, etc.

Hopefully see a bunch of you on Thursday!

Paul

Re: Thursday - wasted by Walden

Hi Paul,

I plan to ride on Thursday. If I'm not quite over my cold, I'll just take a bail-out. It's my last full ride at my current age as it's my birthday on Saturday.

Wondering about tyre choice. I didn't go out last week so I can't gauge whether summer tyres are still OK or are we entering mudsville and need more tread?

Regards

TOM

No mud yesterday morning - no dust but essentially dry.

Unless it pisses it down the next few days I'll still be on one summer tyre, one semi-worn mud tyre but only because I can't be arsed to change the remaining mud shoe.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Sounds like an interesting ride!!! I am defo going to be out tomorrow night. The wife will be dropping me off as we have a house viewing at 6.45pm in Waterbeach

Cheers
GN

i will be out, it would be rude not to.

Thanks Paul,

I'll risk it on my summer tyres and hope that the breeze today dries things out after the showery couple of days we've had.

(but I'll put my mudguards on )

See you later

TOM

Paul D
No mud yesterday morning - no dust but essentially dry.

Unless it pisses it down the next few days
Paul
hmmm. I'll be out tonight. On my only tyres. Tony

Hi, has a destination pub been confirmed? I'm asking on behalf of the "Doing a Dommers" (No offence Dom)

Sorry Paul,
Was well up for riding when I emailed yesterday but for some reason feel a bit yukky this afternoon & will probably give tonight a miss - happy w@nking!

Geordynige

Nothing definite I'm afraid - it's rained a fair bit so I wouldn't like to guess what state the trails will be in and how fast we'll get round. Various options that seem sensible to me though:

You could either park up in town or somewhere in Shelford/Stapleford as then your vehicle won't be too far from any plausible pub.

Alternatively, if you want to pick a likely venue, then I'd suggest the Red Lion at Hinxton as even if we don't stop there, we will be riding back towards town that way so you could bail at that point and drive onto the actual pub stop.

Cheers

paul

Planning to ride tonight and will be looking for bail out options along the way!

Re: Thursday - wasted by Walden - Due to 3 punctures

Gents, Due to 3 punctures, yes THREE punctures on the ride into Town from The Red Lion in Hinxton I missed you at Brookside by about 20 mins.

shit... tough luck Rob! I don't think we had a single puncture en route - you must have diverted all the gremlins...

Paul

Sadly we did! I got a flat (well, quite squishy, anyway) just through the woods at Nine Wells on the final leg back to town - only a couple of miles to go. Thanks to the crew for waiting, Simon for actual help and Pat for managerial expertise - there all the time, plenty of informed comment, no actual help at all!

Great ride, Paul - thanks!

Dom

Kudos to the group for the spectacular farting while we were waiting for the repair to complete.

If only it could be captured and put to better use, such as tyre inflation, than the sheer enjoyment it gives us.

Now there's a challenge for Dragon's Den; a fart-catching tyre-inflater. Duncan Ballantye would slap down his £100k quicker than you could say "kerrching!"

PT

I'm DEFINITELY oot

Sorry I couldn't make the rides-felt a bit off most of this week