Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hi, new here

Hi Everyone,

Stumbled across this forum via google looking for some people in my local area to ride with.

Anyway, I'm 21, live in Ashdon and have recently got into mtbing when my best mate gave me his old MTB. Ridden it a few times around the local area (Hadstock aerodrome across Gt. Chesterford and around). The bike isnt great but I'm getting some new forks and headset fitted tonight so should make my life a bit more comfortable. I'm of average fitness, but have never attempted a cycle longer than about 15 miles. Tend to go through thetford a fair bit too, but cant do that mid-week so looking for more local riding.

Going to keep riding to get my fitness up to attempt a 20+ mile ride and then it would be great to be able to join you all in a riding/pub evening.

Re: Hi, new here

Hi Ian
You're always welcome along to a ride, and our ethos is that we don't leave people behind (well, not since the Balsham 'incident'), so you'll be ok. One way to improve your riding stamina is to ride with people just slightly faster than you. This way you'll get better quicker. The group is mixed ability, and varies from casual to racing whippet, so you should slot in somewhere just fine.
This forum can be a mine of useful information, but also a bit random (the others, not me, of course), so if it suits you, come along.
Please make sure you read the bit about lights, and the gubbins at the top of the page; it's essential. Then, when you're ready just rock up at Brookside and say 'hi'.

(You see, I CAN be sensible)

Wow Mark, i think i may print that response out and frame it. i cant say i ever remember a more Succinct and sane response from you

Ian, Mark is right on the money with his response, there are about 3 or 4 new riders out with the group regularly at the moment and they all had fitness worries to start with. i can confirm that they are all improving rapidly, and so will you.

if you want to try before you spend out loads on lights just post on the forum a couple of days in advance and i'm sure that someone will lend you a set for the night. decent lights are a must now as it is getting dark at about 8.30pm and it is pitch black when we leave the pub. also commuter lights just dont cut it on a track in a forest in the dark, there are nasty holes and branches just waiting to cach the un prepared rider, or the unlucky.

hope to see you out there soon.

p.s. the trails are fast and mainly dry at the mo. good to get in shape on before the winter fun begins

thanks for the replies guys.

The major concern for me, as with everyone i assume, is the lights. Big money! But its better to spend £300 than spend all night in trees and on the floor.

Sadly I think I need a new bike, or should that be happily I need a new bike. My current one just isn't cutting it and is so worn out I think i best replace it before coming on a ride. After that I will certainly have to come along, maybe borrow some lights for the first try and hopefully make it for a few more regular goes.

Thanks
Ian