Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any EasyJet experience?

I'm booked on an Easyjet flight to Geneva and have just read the small print in the bike carrying blurb that says the bike case must not contain anything other than a bike. I was planning to pack my clothes into the case and avoid extra charges. Does anyone have any experience of carrying bikes with Easyjet. Will the check in police look in the bike case? Cheers

Re: Any EasyJet experience?

I flew my bike with EasyJet last year and I put clothes around the bike in places - partly as protection and partly for luggage convenience. I put my shoes in too and it was not checked and there was no mention at the airport so I think I'd risk it again,
Mark

make shure you protect the rear mech and hanger "REALY WELL" as i'm sure they employ yetti in the baggage handling department.

i flew with Ryan Air and packed my bike bag with everything i could get in there.

i was pulled aside by the gestapo as they x-rayed my bag and wanted to know what the 3 small metal canisters where that were in with the bike.

CO2 gas bottles! it was a bike in there, surely they must have seen them before! well they let me through anyway, and my bike bag was nearly 50Kg...the limit for sports equipment on Ryan Air.

best way to protect rear mech + hanger is to take them off

just don't forget to pack them

Hi,

I came here by Easyjet with my bike from Barcelona to Stansted.

I packed it into a bike's cardboard box, with the wheels separated and deflated. All the bike complements were tied to my bike using adhesive tipe. I put also into the box my helmet, bike shoes, maintenance sprays, and two little boxes with clothes. All was well packed and fixed in the box.

At Barcelona Airport I was invited to see how my box passed across an special and bigger scanner in an special check-in place with the Police. They were looking if the box measures were allright (if the box don't pass for the scanner's slot the bike cannot go into the plane). The box passed, and they didn't ask me nothing about the "extra" things that I was carrying into the box.

EasyJet Staff didn't tell me nothing about my box, neither before or after the check-in;

Sorry for my grammar and sintaxis mistakes,

F.