Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lights

Hi,

I am Francesc, the catalan boy who is coming some times with you,

I would ask any recommendation for buy good lights, because I don't know which is better between the range that the bike shops in the city centre have.I have seen the post about lights but I don't know the best option... In the city shops there are one, the Cateye HL-EL610 LED Single Shot Plus Front Light, that costs 100 pounds. What do you think?

Do yoy know any others lights by about the same price? (I want a good light but, If possible, I don't want to spend a lot of money, I'm a student ;)!

In the last ride on Thursday in the Barton pub one of us (sorry, I don't remember the name) told me a website with amazing discounts and also chinese good quality lights... somebody could tell me the web-site or any others recomendations?

Thanks you indeed!!

Re: Lights

Hi Francesc,
It was me you spoke to. The cateye lights are over priced and quite poor compared to most others. The site we talked about was Deal extreme
www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30864
If you want I can lend you one of these lights (or a light and motion stella) to try, but at £50-£55.00 there is nothing better out there !! These can also bought for slightly more on Ebay and that way you would not have to wait the two week to two months they can take to arrive & would find it alot easier to return if they had a problems.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SSC-P7-3-Mode-900-Lumen-LED-Bike-Light-UK-now-/180543406802?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights

I did notice someone had one of these recently,but I am not sure how good it was & all the wires make it look a bit messy !!
www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36018

Hope this helps.
Duncan

Hi Dunc,
That was me. (I call it Mickey Mouse)
To be honest, the cabling is a bit of a faff but it is nice to have the two smaller lights to use on my commute everyday and not p!ss drivers off too much.
The only thing I had to adjust was the mounting. When it came it had a little soft rubber pad under the mounting (I guess to avoid scratching your bars) but it made the whole thing wobble like crazy off road. When I cut all that off it was perfect.
Its a great light and all for under £80.00
Hope to be out next Tuesday and will have it then if you want a look.
Ads

p.s. and it came in two weeks.

Hi Duncan,

Thanks a lot; I have also looked on this website this light for 80 pounds:

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/magicshine-bike-light-set-mj-808-900-lumens.php?item=1&s=2#

As you said, could you let me one of this lights for the ride tonight? Let me know if it is no problem for you.

I will also bring some information about lights that I have found on internet for asking about them;

thanks again

Hi Francesc,
I will not be riding tonight, but you are more than welcome to collect them from my house or if the ride is going by Comberton (both Katie & Pat know where I live)you could pop in & i'll fit it for you.
D.

Thanks a lot,

Do you think the best option is go to the meeting point at 19'30 and then come to your home to just pop in and collect the light? I don't want to disturb the whole group;

If not I can pass to your home too, tell me the best way to put in contact withyou outside this forum;

thanks

zero-seven-eight-zero-two-one-eight-three-three-two-one

Thanks indeed ;)