Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joining in but...

Hi I am a keen montain biker who has not been on a bike in over 10 years, this is primarly due to a slight motorbike accedent where I lost effective use of my right arm.

I still miss going out on a bike and have got to the point where I am determind to do it again. Having researched into it the mods needed on a bike are quite simple i.e. switching the break leaver and gears. Has anone on here any experience with this kind of thing so I can get more information?

Also what standard of rides do you guys do?

Re: Joining in but...

not sure about the mod's you need but there are a couple of spanner monkeys that watch this forum so i'm sure you will get some sensible and some not so sensible replies.

as far as the standard of rides, this is cambridgeshire, it's flat, there is nothing too technical, but there are oppotunities to make a hash of it, especialy after a couple of bevies.

our routes tend to be to the south side of Cambridge where there is more variety, on bridle ways and farm tracks linked up by road where necissary. about a 60/40 split in favour of the off road.

farm tracks can be trecherous as Pete will confirm, he broke his collar bone last thursday, but on the whole there is very little that you will run the risk of hooking your handlebars on.

as far as fitness we have a wide variety from racing wippets to new riders that are finding their fitness level, but don't worry about being left behind as someone will always hang around for moral support and will assist in finding the pub. the whole group will stop at regularish intervals to allow a regroup before resuming the charge.

if you need to borow a set of lights, as it is getting dark now and we often don't get back to town before 11.30pm, just post on the forum and i'm sure someone will offer a spare set so you can see if night riding is for you.

maybe see you out soon.

What about a single speeeeeeeeeeeeeed or even a fixie?????????????????????????... Now thats a thought.

Hi Andy,
I use to ride alot with a very competent mountain biker who was a victim of thalidomide. He got a friend weld a couple of bar ends together to raise the right hand bar position then he had a strap that he could put his deformed hand through so that it did not jump off the bar over rough stuff. Although I am assuuming your arms are similar lengths the strap idea & maybe a slightly more up right riding position with riser bars etc so that you were not putting too weight on your right arm could help. I think changing gears and brakes over could be quite an easy thing to do for instance you could run a single 32 chain ring at the front & a nine speed 'Mega nine' 12-34 casette or even one of the new ten speed models at the back so that you only need to use one shifter. With a bit of patience, maybe initially a bit of road riding to increase stamina & strength anything is possible. About ten years ago I saw a bloke doing mountain mayhem with a false leg & when I use to do moto cross competeing in the Weston super mare (and yes it is a mare) beach race I competed against a bloke with one arm (not even a false one)
Anything is possible !! Let us know if you need a hand or when you want to start riding.
Duncan